The Student Room Group

Ta fast track route with Teach First

Hi, has anyone been on the TA Fast Track route with Teach First? What is the process and what was your experience of it?
Original post by Foza24
Hi, has anyone been on the TA Fast Track route with Teach First? What is the process and what was your experience of it?

Honestly, if your school are offering you the chance to do this, I'd look into the assessment only route instead- it's a lot quicker.
Reply 2
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Honestly, if your school are offering you the chance to do this, I'd look into the assessment only route instead- it's a lot quicker.

What is the assessment route?
Reply 4
I'm not a teacher though. I'm a teaching assistant. Isn't the assessment route for teachers who haven't gained qts?
If you search teaching apprenticeship you will find that providers other than TeachFirst offer similar salaried pathways into teaching. I would advise against going with TeachFirst because they have a pretty terrible reputation.
Reply 6
@ThursdaysChild22 Have you trained with Teach First?
Original post by Foza24
@ThursdaysChild22 Have you trained with Teach First?

No. When I decided to do teacher training I already had quite a lot of friends in teaching and they warned me against it. I’m so glad they did. Their training schools are not great and they tend to give their trainees very little support, blaming the trainee when things go wrong.

I did a university led PGCE and really enjoyed it, but since working with School Direct trainees I actually think School Direct is the training route that offers the best balance of support and “on the job” learning, with the added benefit that you have a choice (when applying for SD) over which school you’ll be training in.
Reply 8
Original post by ThursdaysChild22
No. When I decided to do teacher training I already had quite a lot of friends in teaching and they warned me against it. I’m so glad they did. Their training schools are not great and they tend to give their trainees very little support, blaming the trainee when things go wrong.

I did a university led PGCE and really enjoyed it, but since working with School Direct trainees I actually think School Direct is the training route that offers the best balance of support and “on the job” learning, with the added benefit that you have a choice (when applying for SD) over which school you’ll be training in.

Ok, I see. I am looking at the TA Fast Track route and I would be training in my school where I work.
Original post by Foza24
Ok, I see. I am looking at the TA Fast Track route and I would be training in my school where I work.

Hello @Foza24

Generally speaking, the only courses where you'd be able to get QTS accreditation in the school you are already employed would be Assessment Only, that has been mentioned above. Here is an example of such a course - https://www.tes.com/institute/straight-to-teaching-qts

Otherwise, your school would need to create a partnership with an accrediting body such as a SCITT or University to allow them to offer a School Direct Salaried course or Post Graduate Teaching Apprenticeship.

The Teach First scheme is not currently taking applications from schools - https://www.teachfirst.org.uk/ta-fast-track

It might be worth your while speaking to an adviser at Get into Teaching. https://adviser-getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/

Wishing you all the best, Jane

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending