The Student Room Group

English lit and English lan A-levels for law?

Is it a good idea to take English literature and English language for A-level if I'm planning to do a law degree? Not the combined A-level, it would be separate alongside history. Or would universities prefer psychology/economics A-level with English literature, EPQ and history? Thanks.
Original post by ella1507
Is it a good idea to take English literature and English language for A-level if I'm planning to do a law degree? Not the combined A-level, it would be separate alongside history. Or would universities prefer psychology/economics A-level with English literature, EPQ and history? Thanks.

They'd prefer A*AA or higher, so do whichever combination best assures that result :smile:
There are no required subjects for Law.
Some people find taking one essay-based subject at A level is useful for essay and text skills - but this isn't in anyway essential.

Take 3 subjects you will enjoy - and where you feel confident of high grades.
I'm not applying for law but I'm in year 13 studying English Literature, English Language and History

IT. IS. A. LOT. OF. WORK.

However, that is hopefully not a shock as all a-level subjects are hard but be warned that all three have coursework and so depending on your school's system, you'll end up doing a lot of it over the summer/year 13 - the main reason why I decided not to do the EPQ in the end as that is in itself a whole subject essentially

As has been said, there are no required subjects for law
If you want to do psychology or economics, go for it! If you like all three subjects stick with them!
{Unfortunately, I have learned the hard way that if you are only half-interested in English Literature it will be an incredibly hard subject}
Reply 4
Original post by Immortal-Reaper
I'm not applying for law but I'm in year 13 studying English Literature, English Language and History

IT. IS. A. LOT. OF. WORK.

However, that is hopefully not a shock as all a-level subjects are hard but be warned that all three have coursework and so depending on your school's system, you'll end up doing a lot of it over the summer/year 13 - the main reason why I decided not to do the EPQ in the end as that is in itself a whole subject essentially

As has been said, there are no required subjects for law
If you want to do psychology or economics, go for it! If you like all three subjects stick with them!
{Unfortunately, I have learned the hard way that if you are only half-interested in English Literature it will be an incredibly hard subject}

Thank you, so helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest