The Student Room Group

Work experience Nursing

I am in S6 (final year of high school in Scotland) and am looking for work experience in nursing, or any caring field for that matter, eg, school, nursery (anything that involves working with people, preferably kids though)

Is there anywhere that would be willing to take me in, I am aware there won’t be many places due to covid etc, but if there are places then please let me know!
Original post by Pizza_Aliza
I am in S6 (final year of high school in Scotland) and am looking for work experience in nursing, or any caring field for that matter, eg, school, nursery (anything that involves working with people, preferably kids though)

Is there anywhere that would be willing to take me in, I am aware there won’t be many places due to covid etc, but if there are places then please let me know!

There is a massive shortage in the care industry so you should easily be able to get some part time care work if you can commit for a while . You Can often go on the bank at nhs trusts which means you can pick which shifts you want to cover . ‘Work experience’ can be much harder to find as it’s actually quite a lot of investment for employers to organise if you can only do a short amount - eg you’ll need dbs checks, basic training etc so that’s much harder to access (not to be brutal but it’s a benefit to you but not so much to an employer if you can only offer a short amount of time) areas like learning disability care work are crying out for staff and would give you loads of useful skills. You could also look into volunteering opportunities in your local community where you can gain transferable skills
Reply 2
Original post by Fortysomething
There is a massive shortage in the care industry so you should easily be able to get some part time care work if you can commit for a while . You Can often go on the bank at nhs trusts which means you can pick which shifts you want to cover . ‘Work experience’ can be much harder to find as it’s actually quite a lot of investment for employers to organise if you can only do a short amount - eg you’ll need dbs checks, basic training etc so that’s much harder to access (not to be brutal but it’s a benefit to you but not so much to an employer if you can only offer a short amount of time) areas like learning disability care work are crying out for staff and would give you loads of useful skills. You could also look into volunteering opportunities in your local community where you can gain transferable skills

Thank you so much, this’ll help a lot 💜

Will this “NHS trusts” also b available for me in scotland?
Thank you so much, this’ll help a lot 💜

Will this “NHS trusts” also b available for me in scotland?

Can anyone be a bank nurse.....

Any healthcare professional can join an NHS staff bank, although typically they ask for at least six-months NHS experience to register you. The flexible shifts available work for a variety of people and reasons.

Who can join the Bank? Anyone can apply. However applicants must be able to evidence eligibility to work in the UK, and comply with all NHS Lothian, Glasgow , Tayside, fife, Grampian. Lanarkshire recruitment checks..
Reply 4
Original post by Tracey_W
Can anyone be a bank nurse.....

Any healthcare professional can join an NHS staff bank, although typically they ask for at least six-months NHS experience to register you. The flexible shifts available work for a variety of people and reasons.

Who can join the Bank? Anyone can apply. However applicants must be able to evidence eligibility to work in the UK, and comply with all NHS Lothian, Glasgow , Tayside, fife, Grampian. Lanarkshire recruitment checks..

Hey tracy!

Could you please send me the link to this, much appreciated 💜
Hey tracy!

Could you please send me the link to this, much appreciated 💜

As you live within Glasgow area this is what involved with process of bank nursing.

Staff Bank Recruitment
Joining NHSGGC Staff Bank

The process for recruiting both registered and non-registered nurses and midwives to NHS GGC Nursing and Midwifery Staff Bank follows the same robust recruitment and selection processes as required for substantive posts.

To register with the Staff Bank there is both an internal and external process.

Internal Applications

Nursing and Midwifery staff that hold a permanent post within NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde are permitted to join the Staff Bank through the internal application process, by virtue of existing employment, in a nursing role, with NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde. This is on the basis that as bank workers they are fully supported by their substantive line manager in delivering high standards of care to patients within their bank role. Before completing and signing the reference managers acting as the individuals sponsor should consider the suitability of the individual to undertake bank work i.e. relevant mandatory training and competency.

Bank workers planning to leave substantive employment within the organisation e.g. retirement and wish to continue to undertake bank shifts will no longer have sponsorship from their line manager and therefore no means for the bank nurse’s competence to be assessed within the responsibilities of the role and job description.

Bank workers wishing to continue to undertake shifts when no longer substantively employed by NHS GGC will undergo a reassessment process to transfer managerial responsibility to Staff Bank Nurse Management. It is important that the bank worker and their line manager inform the Staff Bank service of their intention to leave their substantive post at the earliest opportunity to allow the reassessment process which entails Occupational Health check, PVG assessment, mandatory training update and a satisfactory reference. NHSGGC Staff Bank advise they are notified a minimum of 3 months in advance of leaving.

Please read the guidance document before completing the internal application.

Internal application and guidance document is available Here

External Application

External applicants to the Nursing and Midwifery Staff Bank will be subject to NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde recruitment and selection process, which adheres to NHS Scotland PIN Guidelines.

Application short listed in line with Pin guidelines
Short listed applicants interviewed
Successful interviewees are progressed subject to the following checking standards: Occupational Health Clearance, Criminal record checks and membership of the Protecting Vulnerable Groups (PVG) scheme, Employment history and 2 satisfactory reference checks, Verification of identity checks and right to work in UK checks.

All bank nursing jobs are via the NHS greater Glasgow job website through the details below. There's none currently avaible in glasgow but try Lanarkshire as neighbouring heathboard.
All external recruitment is advertised on NHS Show Website. https://jobs.scot.nhs.uk/
Reply 6
Original post by Tracey_W
As you live within Glasgow area this is what involved with process of bank nursing.

Staff Bank Recruitment
Joining NHSGGC Staff Bank

The process for recruiting both registered and non-registered nurses and midwives to NHS GGC Nursing and Midwifery Staff Bank follows the same robust recruitment and selection processes as required for substantive posts.

To register with the Staff Bank there is both an internal and external process.

Internal Applications

Nursing and Midwifery staff that hold a permanent post within NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde are permitted to join the Staff Bank through the internal application process, by virtue of existing employment, in a nursing role, with NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde. This is on the basis that as bank workers they are fully supported by their substantive line manager in delivering high standards of care to patients within their bank role. Before completing and signing the reference managers acting as the individuals sponsor should consider the suitability of the individual to undertake bank work i.e. relevant mandatory training and competency.

Bank workers planning to leave substantive employment within the organisation e.g. retirement and wish to continue to undertake bank shifts will no longer have sponsorship from their line manager and therefore no means for the bank nurse’s competence to be assessed within the responsibilities of the role and job description.

Bank workers wishing to continue to undertake shifts when no longer substantively employed by NHS GGC will undergo a reassessment process to transfer managerial responsibility to Staff Bank Nurse Management. It is important that the bank worker and their line manager inform the Staff Bank service of their intention to leave their substantive post at the earliest opportunity to allow the reassessment process which entails Occupational Health check, PVG assessment, mandatory training update and a satisfactory reference. NHSGGC Staff Bank advise they are notified a minimum of 3 months in advance of leaving.

Please read the guidance document before completing the internal application.

Internal application and guidance document is available Here

External Application

External applicants to the Nursing and Midwifery Staff Bank will be subject to NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde recruitment and selection process, which adheres to NHS Scotland PIN Guidelines.

Application short listed in line with Pin guidelines
Short listed applicants interviewed
Successful interviewees are progressed subject to the following checking standards: Occupational Health Clearance, Criminal record checks and membership of the Protecting Vulnerable Groups (PVG) scheme, Employment history and 2 satisfactory reference checks, Verification of identity checks and right to work in UK checks.

All bank nursing jobs are via the NHS greater Glasgow job website through the details below. There's none currently avaible in glasgow but try Lanarkshire as neighbouring heathboard.
All external recruitment is advertised on NHS Show Website. https://jobs.scot.nhs.uk/

Thank you so much tracy!

Could you please check your PM 💜
Thank you so much tracy!

Could you please check your PM 💜

I have done that.

All applications are through below and then use local health boards regions for to see what's available.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending