The Student Room Group

Which field Adult or mental health??

I would love your opinions and advice please. I have been working in the NHS as a healthcare support worker for 4 years. I have experience of working in mental health and general adult nursing. I have wanted to be a nurse for a long time, namely an adult community nurse, but have always thought my weak stomach meant I couldn't cut it. I have been known to pass out when getting blood taken - not so much lately though. I like to push myself, however, and put myself forward for venepuncture and ecg course which I passed and now do successfully as part of my job. I really enjoy both fields of nursing but wonder if anyone has ever had a weak stomach or passed out and overcome it to successfully qualify as a staff nurse? Is adult nursing all blood and gore? Which brand would you recommend for someone like me?
(edited 9 months ago)
you can find a dual award for example ARU does a 4 year course instead of 3 if you were to complete both adult and mh nursing, whereas the 3 year course you meed to pick either adult or mental health separately. hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Brycela11
I would absolutley love your opinions and advice please. I have been working in the NHS as a healthcare support worker for 4 years. I have experience of working in mental health and general adult nursing. I have wanted to be a nurse for a long time, but have always thought my weak stomach meant I couldn't cut it. I have been known to pass out when getting blood taken - not so much lately though. I like to push myself, however, and put myself forward for venepuncture and ecg course which I passed and now do successfully as part of my job. I really enjoy both fields of nursing but wonder if anyone has ever had a weak stomach or passed out and overcome it to successfully qualify as a staff nurse? Also, which brand would you recommend for someone like me?

Hi there.

@Tracey_W could help. :smile:

Best wishes.
Hey there,

With regards to choosing mental health or adult branch, which is an individual choice that you will need to look into and research what you would like to do at the end of the course. During the course, you will be presented with several experiences which may change your choice of where you wish to work when you qualify. ARU offers a dual course, so you do have the option to study both. This course lasts four years for both branches instead of three years for one as you repeat year two twice for each branch. As for blood and gore, I would say it depends on the areas you have placement, but I have not really had much of this. I have seen different things but when in practice I tend to get on with things when faced with challenges and think about them afterwards. If you feel faint at any time the nurses will understand and let you leave to have five minutes to compose yourself. Also, the nurses will sit and talk through any difficulties you may have or face. During my training I have had exposure to looking after patients with mental health issues and mental health nurses will have the same exposure to adult nursing.

Good luck whichever route you choose.

ARU Dee
Digital Student Ambassador
Reply 4
Original post by Brycela11
I would love your opinions and advice please. I have been working in the NHS as a healthcare support worker for 4 years. I have experience of working in mental health and general adult nursing. I have wanted to be a nurse for a long time, namely an adult community nurse, but have always thought my weak stomach meant I couldn't cut it. I have been known to pass out when getting blood taken - not so much lately though. I like to push myself, however, and put myself forward for venepuncture and ecg course which I passed and now do successfully as part of my job. I really enjoy both fields of nursing but wonder if anyone has ever had a weak stomach or passed out and overcome it to successfully qualify as a staff nurse? Is adult nursing all blood and gore? Which brand would you recommend for someone like me?

Hi

As you are currently working as a healthcare assistant ( HCA) therefore your experience from this would be great for you to go forward and do a nursing degree. Everything you have learned so far will depend be useful for adult nursing.

I would say that at the end of the day the decision is totally down to yourself which route you want to go okay.

I had a weak stomach like you when I first started my midwife degree especially on placement and watching the baby coming out with the blood but I got used to it after a few days. It's not uncommon for people like yourself fainting when blood is taken as even nurses and doctors have done that.

Nursing as you know by now is a dedicated job looking after patients while in hospital or at home in the community. The NHS needs experience people like yourself working with them so I would certainly recommend nursing for you to go and do as remember that you still have your HCA role to fall back on if you don't think university is for you but I'm sure you'll be fine. You'll be at least going to university with lots of experience behind you so go ahead and apply for it for either January 2024 ( If anything available) or apply for September next year when application opens. You will eventually have opportunities for promotion etc.

A NHS registered midwife ( band 6 charge nurse midwife).
Original post by TriplexA
Hi there.

@Tracey_W could help. :smile:

Best wishes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending