The Student Room Group

need some advice💛

Hiiii, I’m new to TSR. 💛

I just need some advice and a quick rant. I’m currently doing foundation maths and science and it’s really taking a toll on my mental health, as the highest I can get is a grade 5, and I’m not even on that…. And everyone around me is saying a 5 is bad but I’m not even on that and it’s made me feel worthless. I don’t know how to revise and I don’t know where to start and I really want to become a dentist but they don’t accept people with foundation grades. Is it possible for a foundation level on gcse, to go into medicine or dentistry ? I just feel really low as I’m letting these grades define me :frown: I really want a good job that will impress my family

Scroll to see replies

Original post by YouAreEnough
Hiiii, I’m new to TSR. 💛

I just need some advice and a quick rant. I’m currently doing foundation maths and science and it’s really taking a toll on my mental health, as the highest I can get is a grade 5, and I’m not even on that…. And everyone around me is saying a 5 is bad but I’m not even on that and it’s made me feel worthless. I don’t know how to revise and I don’t know where to start and I really want to become a dentist but they don’t accept people with foundation grades. Is it possible for a foundation level on gcse, to go into medicine or dentistry ? I just feel really low as I’m letting these grades define me :frown: I really want a good job that will impress my family

Hi welcome to TSR
Ignore what people around you say , They are not you you will still live no matter what they say .
Revising will be impossible if you aren't calm . Different medical schools have different requirements , some only require a 5 in core subjects( https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/choosing-a-medical-school/gcse-requirements-for-medicine/). Why do you want a job to impress your family ? You should do what you love as you will be better at it and get higher grades . If you really want a job to impress your family then don't thing about it and just focus on revising as stressing wont help . To revise , use past papers , YouTube and go over your books , I would give you revision links but i don't know which exam board you are using .
Hope this helps.
I don’t know how to revise and I don’t know where to start and I really want to become a dentist but they don’t y

Watch cognito and freesciencelessons on yt
Make flashcards
Solve past papers
Hiiii, I’m new to TSR. 💛

Post #2 says it all. However, as a word of warning, people on TSR causally talk about owning high grades so, IMO, I would stay away from that. I’m not saying to leave TSR, that’s your choice, I’m just stating what is, arguably, the most dominant thing that happens on TSR’s study threads.
Your grades don't define you and it doesn't determine your worth
Original post by Moonlight Rain
Your grades don't define you and it doesn't determine your worth

Thank you so much ! Have a good day 💛
Original post by summerbirdreads
Watch cognito and freesciencelessons on yt
Make flashcards
Solve past papers

Thank you so much for this, your an amazing person ❤️
Original post by IhaveNothingToDo
Hi welcome to TSR
Ignore what people around you say , They are not you you will still live no matter what they say .
Revising will be impossible if you aren't calm . Different medical schools have different requirements , some only require a 5 in core subjects( https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/choosing-a-medical-school/gcse-requirements-for-medicine/). Why do you want a job to impress your family ? You should do what you love as you will be better at it and get higher grades . If you really want a job to impress your family then don't thing about it and just focus on revising as stressing wont help . To revise , use past papers , YouTube and go over your books , I would give you revision links but i don't know which exam board you are using .
Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for taking ur time out of ur day to write this, your amazing thank u so much and on maths I’m on OCR and science AQA i just feel like even if I get a grade 5 it’s bad… idk..
Hiiii, I’m new to TSR. 💛

mygcsescience was a lifesaver for me personally! it is paid, but its not a subscription and for me, it was worth every penny - so worth checking out!
Original post by 0ptics
Post #2 says it all. However, as a word of warning, people on TSR causally talk about owning high grades so, IMO, I would stay away from that. I’m not saying to leave TSR, that’s your choice, I’m just stating what is, arguably, the most dominant thing that happens on TSR’s study threads.

Yeah, I’ve seen people boast about their high grades but that’s good for them and I’m proud of them but thank u so much for warning me 💛
Original post by lil_lily__
mygcsescience was a lifesaver for me personally! it is paid, but its not a subscription and for me, it was worth every penny - so worth checking out!

Omg thank you so much for this, but is a grade 5 even good idk…
Original post by 0ptics

PRSOM
Hiiii, I’m new to TSR. 💛

you need to work hard to get a 5, if you can't even get that im sorry but dentistry or medicine just isn't for you. i had a friend like you and she ended up doing english/essay based subjects at alevel because she didn't get the grades to do sciences

universities dont care about your gcses as long as you pass, if you're doing foundation but pass it shouldnt matter
Original post by joyceemx
you need to work hard to get a 5, if you can't even get that im sorry but dentistry or medicine just isn't for you. i had a friend like you and she ended up doing english/essay based subjects at alevel because she didn't get the grades to do sciences

universities dont care about your gcses as long as you pass, if you're doing foundation but pass it shouldnt matter

Thanks for being honest with me, but apparently I can do a dental nurse apprenticeship if I have a grade 4 and above ? But will that even help me to become an actual dental nurse ? thank u so much anyways x
Thanks for being honest with me, but apparently I can do a dental nurse apprenticeship if I have a grade 4 and above ? But will that even help me to become an actual dental nurse ? thank u so much anyways x

possibly, you should look into it more, theres always options out there x
Original post by joyceemx
possibly, you should look into it more, theres always options out there x

I’m just really overwhelmed , I just don’t know what job I want and if any job will accept me with foundation grades
I’m just really overwhelmed , I just don’t know what job I want and if any job will accept me with foundation grades

It's okay to feel overwhelmed, im not 100% sure what i'm going to do in the future either (and i regret my alevel choices) - just focus on passing your subjects right now (atleast a 4 in maths and english especially) and worry about the rest later

Quick Reply

Latest