The Student Room Group

That’s it. I’m done.

First, the party support a process that will make every person in the U.K. poorer apart from a select few. A process which will do twice as much economic damage than covid.

Second, they let crime spike, defund the police and the courts, bring nothing in terms of sorting out real crime and anti social behaviour and standby as this country turns into a lawless shithole.

Thirdly, the oversee possibly the worst response to a pandemic in living history; brazenly break rules that THEY have set.

Fourth, as Labour did with their red wall voters they completely neglect their heartlands and voter base in terms of populist policies to help the lower classes, while I, as a middle earner have to foot the ****ing bill.

Lastly, they not only create a motion that actively supports corruption; but then introduce a three line whip in order to get it through. But wait, there’s more. They then do yet another, humiliating u-turn when they realise they’ve **** the bed.

Conservative membership cancelled this morning. I am not being part of this utter shitshow any longer.

For what it’s worth, any Labour supporters on here; you should be utterly ashamed that your party cannot land a blow against this lot of charlatans.

Scroll to see replies

I’d suggest joining the Labour Party- the home of the middle classes.

Meanwhile I am seriously considering voting conservative at the next general election, blue labour would be the best way of describing me (I think)…
Original post by Cancelled Alice
I’d suggest joining the Labour Party- the home of the middle classes.

Meanwhile I am seriously considering voting conservative at the next general election, blue labour would be the best way of describing me (I think)…

I’d sooner sell an organ than vote Labour.
Reply 3
Original post by imlikeahermit
I’d sooner sell an organ than vote Labour.

Well I guess you will be keeping your corrupt Tory's in power by default then.To quote Greta you are all 'BLah,blah,blah!'
Original post by Scotney
Well I guess you will be keeping your corrupt Tory's in power by default then.

This. The system will never change if you don't vote for another party.
Reply 5
First, the party support a process that will make every person in the U.K. poorer apart from a select few. A process which will do twice as much economic damage than covid.

Second, they let crime spike, defund the police and the courts, bring nothing in terms of sorting out real crime and anti social behaviour and standby as this country turns into a lawless shithole.

Thirdly, the oversee possibly the worst response to a pandemic in living history; brazenly break rules that THEY have set.

Fourth, as Labour did with their red wall voters they completely neglect their heartlands and voter base in terms of populist policies to help the lower classes, while I, as a middle earner have to foot the ****ing bill.

Lastly, they not only create a motion that actively supports corruption; but then introduce a three line whip in order to get it through. But wait, there’s more. They then do yet another, humiliating u-turn when they realise they’ve **** the bed.

Conservative membership cancelled this morning. I am not being part of this utter shitshow any longer.

For what it’s worth, any Labour supporters on here; you should be utterly ashamed that your party cannot land a blow against this lot of charlatans.

Well I agree.
I know the feeling. :mad2:
I'm probably more furious than you are.
Mostly about different examples of the wets doing their utmost to drown the nation and whatever is left of Conservative Party credibility.
I've never been a Conservative member and would never vote for a Labour candidate.
Original post by DSilva
Well I agree.

You feeling ok?
Voting for Labour isn't exactly going to change the system either. Both parties are dominant in the current system and benefit from it. It's no accident that Starmer has re-taken the party from the Corbynistas.
What's going on with this thing with Owen Paterson? Is it just a simple case of corrupt Tory throwing his toys out of the pram or is it more complex than that?

@Rakas21
@L i b
The solution is simple and what I've been saying for ever.

If you have a decent enough local Tory MP -(there's probably about a 100 or so) then vote for them and join the party.

If not, then vote for anyone but them ideally the most right wing party available. The goal isn't to elect them but to get rid of the crap Tory MP.

Tony Blair wasn't so bad after all...
Reply 12
Original post by Starship Trooper
What's going on with this thing with Owen Paterson? Is it just a simple case of corrupt Tory throwing his toys out of the pram or is it more complex than that?

@Rakas21
@L i b

Paterson did that thing idiots do when they read something and decide to put their own bent on its meaning, independent of the intention or even relatively clear meaning of rules. The report is pretty clear in disaffirming him of his interpretations.

Do I think he genuinely did it with some wicked intention? No. If you see some of his emails, I think he's genuinely trying to be helpful at times. But he was pretty bone-headed - and came out of it with a nice whack of money for his troubles. I'm baffled that his colleagues didn't have words with him earlier, assuming they were aware.

In any case, he should've taken his punishment rather than continue his quixotic campaign against the commissioner and the committee. I suspect his bereavement hasn't helped - but actually think the parliamentary authorities have behaved very sensitively to that side of things.

Conservative membership cancelled this morning.

Why has it taken you so long?

The values of the modern Conservative Party are pro-big government, pro-excessive spending, pro-taxation, pro-surveillance-state, pro-grubbiness, pro-cronyism, antimeritocracy, anti-personal responsibility, and anti-any coherent economic policy to improve the wealth of the nation.

This has not come about overnight and it is not the consequence of a small cabal at the top of the party. This ideological shift has been creeping us on us over the last 11 years and it has been done with the explicit endorsement of Conservative Party members and voters. Everything went into overdrive when the Conservative membership elected at leader with a reputation for squandering money, for dishonesty and promising but never delivering the world. He still commands popular support among those that identify as conservative.

If you are a Conservative Party member or voter you are responsible for the current situation. However I doubt many Conservative supporters will see it like that because personal responsibility is no longer a trait associated with British conservatism.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by L i b
Paterson did that thing idiots do when they read something and decide to put their own bent on its meaning, independent of the intention or even relatively clear meaning of rules. The report is pretty clear in disaffirming him of his interpretations.

Do I think he genuinely did it with some wicked intention? No. If you see some of his emails, I think he's genuinely trying to be helpful at times. But he was pretty bone-headed - and came out of it with a nice whack of money for his troubles. I'm baffled that his colleagues didn't have words with him earlier, assuming they were aware.

In any case, he should've taken his punishment rather than continue his quixotic campaign against the commissioner and the committee. I suspect his bereavement hasn't helped - but actually think the parliamentary authorities have behaved very sensitively to that side of things.

Quite. If he'd accepted his punishment and showed even the slightest but of contrition, this would have largely passed by unnoticed. Instead it ends up looking like the Tories trying to pull down the entire standards committee to protect one of its own. Looks really, really sleazy.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 15
How defeatist of you. I actually respect @Starship Trooper for not voting for someone he disagree with just because they are the "least worst option".
(edited 2 years ago)
What exactly is it about the current Tory party that makes you so sure Labour would be worse. What is the attraction.
Reply 17
You live in Scotland?
I was also a Tory for years but I began to see things differently as I grew older.I wanted a fairer deal for everyone and under Thatcher we started to see homeless people in London who had never been there before. The current situation in that dept is appalling. Very difficult to see as you are making your way out of a lovely night at the theatre. It just seems indefensible to me in a country of our level of wealth so many are left behind.
Reply 19
Original post by DSilva
Quite. If he'd accepted his punishment and showed even the slightest but of contrition, this would have largely passed by unnoticed. Instead it ends up looking like the Tories trying to pull down the entire standards committee to protect one of its own. Looks really, really sleazy.

It is/was. A couple misstep.

A lot of Tory MPs, particularly the younger/red wall types, are very pissed off. Rightly so.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending