The Student Room Group

A-level choices advice ( Currently Yr11)

Original post by MaRy234?7
I have two different A-levels combinations that I don't know which one I should go with.
OPTION 1: Computer science, Maths, Physics
OPTION 2: Computer science, Maths, Applied Criminology
The only thing I do know is that I want to do something based around Computer science at University for e.g. Ethical hacking because I enjoy it and get really good grades in it.
But the others subjects:
Maths: I would say I do like maths however I also struggle in maths even though I am in set 1 but to do computer science most but not all university want maths a-level as well so I have to consider it as an option
Physics: While I do really like I have heard it has a lot of maths in it and as I previously said and not that good at maths Criminology: I am considering it after going to open evening and looking at past papers it seems fun and interesting.
Some advice would be very appreciated.

Ok first decide whether you like physics or criminology better.
Second, do you need either physics or criminology for the comp sci degree.
If you need one of them for your degree, I would recommend taking it.
If you don't need either of them for the degree, then pick the one you like better. At a level, you are stuck with that subject for a long time, so make sure it will be enjoyable.

I would consider doing maths just bc it opens career paths. If you rlly dont like it and you're not good at it, then reconsider. But ur in set 1 so thats a great advantage.

Hope this helps!!

A-level choices advice ( Currently Yr11)

I have two different A-levels combinations that I don't know which one I should go with.
The only thing I do know is that I want to do something based around Computer science at University for e.g. Ethical hacking because I enjoy it and get really good grades in it.
But the others subjects:
Maths: I would say I do like maths however I also struggle in maths even though I am in set 1 but to do computer science most but not all university want maths a-level as well so I have to consider it as an option
Physics: While I do really like I have heard it has a lot of maths in it and as I previously said and not that good at maths Criminology: I am considering it after going to open evening and looking at past papers it seems fun and interesting.
Some advice would be very appreciated.

Ok first decide whether you like physics or criminology better.
Second, do you need either physics or criminology for the comp sci degree.
If you need one of them for your degree, I would recommend taking it.
If you don't need either of them for the degree, then pick the one you like better. At a level, you are stuck with that subject for a long time, so make sure it will be enjoyable.

I would consider doing maths just bc it opens career paths. If you rlly dont like it and you're not good at it, then reconsider. But ur in set 1 so thats a great advantage.

Hope this helps!!
i would agree with above commenter but to do computer science at uni, i believe physics will be the better option as computer science as a degree is quite competitive, and physics will be the stronger/more respected subject.
but at the end of the day, its about what you enjoy the most, as the last thing you want to happen is to study a subject for 2 years that you end up hating
Thank you Guys for the advice I will take both of what you said into consideration. Thank you
But the others subjects:
Some advice would be very appreciated. thanks

Do criminology instead of physics I’d say - I don’t do either but I know people who do (I’m in y13 so they have been doing them for a while now) and physics is ridiculously hard. Doing maths and physics would be incredibly difficult whereas criminology is generally thought to be more interesting and FAR FAR FAR easier
Original post by louisecarter01
Do criminology instead of physics I’d say - I don’t do either but I know people who do (I’m in y13 so they have been doing them for a while now) and physics is ridiculously hard. Doing maths and physics would be incredibly difficult whereas criminology is generally thought to be more interesting and FAR FAR FAR easier

If you do Maths and Physics, about 40% of A-Level Physics is Mechanics. Perhaps, Maths, Physics, Computing and AS Further Maths. Criminology would only get you UCAS points but not really useful for the best universities.
Original post by thegeek888
If you do Maths and Physics, about 40% of A-Level Physics is Mechanics. Perhaps, Maths, Physics, Computing and AS Further Maths. Criminology would only get you UCAS points but not really useful for the best universities.

Maybe this student isn’t aiming for top unis tho and even if they were, I have friends rn who do criminology and have had offers from top unis! You shouldn’t do a levels like this for the sake of that as realistically you won’t get the grades as they’ll be far too hard. If this student struggles with Maths at GCSE, doing the a level already sounds like a bad idea, but further maths sounds like an even worse idea.

my friend who got an 8 in gcse maths is now on an E so it isn’t easy
If you really want to do criminology, do criminology.

If you really want to do physics, do physics.

If you're not sure, do physics - simply because there are no degree subjects that you require criminology for, while there are several that you require physics for.
Original post by louisecarter01

my friend who got an 8 in gcse maths is now on an E so it isn’t easy

It is easier if you work hard and use your teacher to explain concepts again and also there are so many resources online for Maths. One more thing to consider is, there is a significant overlap with Physics in Mechanics topics of Maths. So it is less work overall and very manageable.

Quick Reply

Latest