I have just finished 9 years of university... AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Quady
For trolling?

nope
Reply 41
Original post by D1lbrar
How are you expecting to get anywhere?

Seriously dude, I’ve seen the same condescending replies from you on OP’s other thread and it’s getting really old. Not everyone wants to become an apprentice straight after sixth-form. Not everyone is satisfied with the rudimentary knowledge taught to undergrads. Some people actually value a decent education and being intellectually challenged?

OP will be fine. They will be in a similar position as any other fresh graduate who didn’t proactively seek out work experience during uni.
Reply 42
Do you feel inferior or less accomplished when you see people having built businesses, having had stable jobs, a partner and/or having kids, when you’ve just finished university?

If you could’ve picked any other degree, would you? If yes, which one?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Idc123
If you could study all that much all over again, would do?

Do you feel inferior or less accomplished when you see people having built businesses, having had stable jobs, a partner and/or having kids, when you’ve just finished university?

If you could’ve picked any other degree, would you? If yes, which one?

No I wouldn't do it again. I would just to the bachelor's and move forward from that.

And yes I do feel less acomplished when I see it on linkedin. As for the partner and having kids, it's not that simple. I do have a partner now and many people who are working have partners, some don't though. It's a mixed bag.
Reply 44
Original post by BeeMithcell
Have you done your master's thesis? This will give some indication on whether a pHD is for you or not, but even then my master's thesis was a drop in the ocean compared to my PhD. Mostly in terms of the quality of academic writing.

If I was given a place in academia, I would definitely accept it and do a post-doc. But there are many challenges I am facing which means this is extremely unlikely. The reason it is competitive is because of lack of grant funding compared to the number of PhD graduates applying for funding. This means that even if one does get a post-doc, it could be anywhere and you don't have much choice in terms of places to live. My partner is graduating this year with her master's and we need to sort out a plan for the future now that my studies are out of the way. The people who I know that did post-doc from my group moved anywhere, but their partners were not working and I could tell that they were living a lifestyle below standard in terms of area that they were living in.

I also don't think that it is the PhD itself that is holding me back. Employers don't really care about it, it's just a shiny badge to them. It is more that I could not work for four years because of the PhD stipend requirements and therefore they see the lack of experience a huge problem in the real world.

I’m doing a taught master’s and didn’t choose the thesis option. Not a very wise choice tbh.

This is not a question but I do just want to let you know that the PhD/Dphil students I know all found great graduate jobs relatively quickly. Some of them had very little work experience, and 0 long-term employment.

I’m not claiming their PhD got them the job, and it does depend on the field you are interested in, but bright students with little interest in academia still choose to pursue doctorates for various reasons. It might not have been the most productive way to spend your 20s, esp if you do not end up pursuing a career in academia, but I don’t think it was a ‘waste’. It’s never too late to start applying to graduate, entry-level jobs like everyone else.
That's right folks. I started my university journey in September 2012 and I still remember the day my parents dropped me off to my first university accomodation. Here we are 9 years later and I have finally finished, BSc MSc and PhD.

Since it has been my reality for nearly a decade and my whole adult life, I'm starting to think now what... and it's a very scary time for me.

Ask me anything

Wow 9 years good grief that's a very long time haha but again congratulations 🙂 well done for doing a MSc and a PhD you must be very smart haha. What was thr subject field btw haha. Why not try and get a job with the university that you have studied at haha. Always got good jobs at universities and I'm sure you'd get it or get a job at another uni because you are clearly well qualified. After completing a PhD are you a Dr now or is that just for completion of a doctorate haha sorry I'm an undergraduate first year and I'm curious.
Original post by Kentinho99
Wow 9 years good grief that's a very long time haha but again congratulations 🙂 well done for doing a MSc and a PhD you must be very smart haha. What was thr subject field btw haha. Why not try and get a job with the university that you have studied at haha. Always got good jobs at universities and I'm sure you'd get it or get a job at another uni because you are clearly well qualified. After completing a PhD are you a Dr now or is that just for completion of a doctorate haha sorry I'm an undergraduate first year and I'm curious.

Having a PhD doesn't mean that you are smart...
Having a PhD doesn't mean that you are smart...

Compared to me that's a genius haha
I'm a music student currently in my 2nd year of undergrad planning on doing something similar (4 year BMus, 2 year MMus, 1-2 year ArtDip, possibly a PhD, still unsure). How have you found being in education for so long? What was funding like? Did you find you were able to work part time whilst doing your masters/PhD? Did you stay at the same uni throughout? What were the benefits of staying/leaving?
Reply 49
nope

So what happened then?
Original post by remussjhj01
I'm a music student currently in my 2nd year of undergrad planning on doing something similar (4 year BMus, 2 year MMus, 1-2 year ArtDip, possibly a PhD, still unsure). How have you found being in education for so long? What was funding like? Did you find you were able to work part time whilst doing your masters/PhD? Did you stay at the same uni throughout? What were the benefits of staying/leaving?

You have a long way to go. Just make sure you are willing to commit all those years... My doubts about being in education so long started after the second year of the PhD. The funding was also just enough to live, but not enough to enjoy. It was a minimum wage stipend for three and a half years. I had to take three months extra after the funding ended and I used my savings from the COVID lockdown of not spending so that's how I managed in the end. And no, I didn't work at all throughout my studies. And I didn't stay in the same university after my bachelor's but I still stayed in the North East region and started a new university for my master's in 2016.
What was the split between theory and your results in your viva?
Original post by ganesteaches
What was the split between theory and your results in your viva?

In the viva they just asked me questions about all the sections of my thesis. To be honest, they didn't really have a clue about my topic.
Was there any other path you almost followed? and if yes, what?
Original post by Dentaldreams
Was there any other path you almost followed? and if yes, what?

No there wasn't actually. Sadly as I started university, I became very attached to the lifestyle and I couldn't see myself doing anything else. It was only the final few years where I regretted and wanted to do something else.
No there wasn't actually. Sadly as I started university, I became very attached to the lifestyle and I couldn't see myself doing anything else. It was only the final few years where I regretted and wanted to do something else.

Regretted, what did you want to do?
Original post by Dentaldreams
Regretted, what did you want to do?

Well the past couple of academic years(2019-2021) was when the PhD work became very intense and we went through a long lockdown which gave everyone a lot of time to think about their lives. I noticed that my friends had all graduated from this university and it had just become a cohort of the next generation so it became a very lonely place, especially under the COVID lockdown. I noticed that my friends were working in industry or even changed direction from computer science and engineering and were earning enough money to enjoy and support a family. I just felt very out of place and confused about where I want to be and found it hard to accept that the past is no longer here.
(edited 2 years ago)
Well the past couple of academic years(2019-2021) was when the PhD work became very intense and we went through a long lockdown which gave everyone a long time to think about their lives. I noticed that my friends had all graduated from this university and it had just become a cohort of the next generation so it became a very lonely place, especially under the COVID lockdown. I noticed that my friends were working in industry or even changed direction from computer science and engineering and were earning enough money to enjoy and support a family.

I am actually thinking of doing a Masters and later continue on to do a PhD if I can get accepted and managed to get funding for both. Sometimes I wonder if I would ever come to similar regrets should I go down the same route, albeit my motivations are much more personal :s-smilie: I do think that it'll buy me time to "live through life" before I start working, I would be 25/26 once I would be done with my PhD (should I go and get it), so maybe not that much is lost for me. I've been enjoying legal research a lot, and doing essays in general (although my marks beg to differ), so doing a PhD sounds pretty interesting for me. Alternatively, should I not be accepted for postgrad, I will just go and start working though :frown:
Reply 58
That's right folks. I started my university journey in September 2012 and I still remember the day my parents dropped me off to my first university accomodation. Here we are 9 years later and I have finally finished, BSc MSc and PhD.

Since it has been my reality for nearly a decade and my whole adult life, I'm starting to think now what... and it's a very scary time for me.

Ask me anything

whats your advice for high school students going into cs BSc? also what do you wish you did different during your undergrad?
Well the past couple of academic years(2019-2021) was when the PhD work became very intense and we went through a long lockdown which gave everyone a lot of time to think about their lives. I noticed that my friends had all graduated from this university and it had just become a cohort of the next generation so it became a very lonely place, especially under the COVID lockdown. I noticed that my friends were working in industry or even changed direction from computer science and engineering and were earning enough money to enjoy and support a family. I just felt very out of place and confused about where I want to be and found it hard to accept that the past is no longer here.

Well I think I understand how you feel, differently but I get it. It’s far too easy to compare yourself to others, but this is your life!
Even though you feel regret now, I’m sure it’s only until you move on to the next stage of your life. You never know, your friends may look at you and wish they’d waited to start a family and achieve everything that you have done.
Lockdown has had an awful affect and unfortunately we can’t turn back time but (in hopes of a better year ahead) we have to think about achieving everything that makes us happy. So if your happinesses lies in starting a family or whatever it may be, believe it and it’ll happen, somebody told me about the law of attraction - believe and achieve! It’s something I’m trying to do myself actually.

Quick Reply

Latest