The Student Room Group

Work experience for Biology in London

I want to apply to UCL for a MSci Biological sciences, however this course doesn't have a year in industry, so I was wondering if anyone knew any good places I could get work experience for any kind of biology related work in London please? :smile: (really want to get some work experience on my CV because we missed work experience in secondary due to covid,,)
Original post by username5872738
I want to apply to UCL for a MSci Biological sciences, however this course doesn't have a year in industry, so I was wondering if anyone knew any good places I could get work experience for any kind of biology related work in London please? :smile: (really want to get some work experience on my CV because we missed work experience in secondary due to covid,,)

Hi @Username58743

It is great to hear that you are already thinking about work experience for your CV!:biggrin:

Finding work experience can be challenging and also competitive but there are lots of opportunities. If you are interested in laboratory research a great place to start is asking your academics if you can volunteer in their labs during summers for a few weeks. Other lab experiences can be found at hospitals, such as pathology labs - phone/email these departments and explain what you are looking for and ask what they may be able to provide. Even shadowing for a day is a great learning opportunity.

Other work experience opportunities outside of a lab includes science communication and the pharmaceutical industry. Research into bigger organisations such as MRC LMS and Pfizer to see what they can offer. If it is not clear on their website send an email if you can. Charities and societies (e.g. Royal Society of Biology) are also great places to research into.

Have a think about careers you may be interested in after graduating and then identify companies/places that have these roles. Even if they do not advertise on their website there is never any harm in asking. One thing to note about work experience is not all of them will be paid, so if funding is important to you make sure you factor this in before you start looking.

What type of work experience are you most interested in?

Lauren
(Student Ambassador - BSc Biology with Year in Employment)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending