The Student Room Group

What would be the best career option for me?

Hello,

I am 19 years old living in the UK, moved here from india 2 years ago and recently finished sixth form. As I had just oved countries I found it very hard to cope with new education system and didn't have much knowledge of the choices that I had like college. Sixth form was very hard, and i did not get the grades I expected. I have always dreamed of being a Zoologist and have also applied to Unis but unfortunately due to my grades I will not be going this year. So I started to consider other options that I might have before jumping to conclusions.
The options I came up with after a lot of research are:
- Doing an applied science diploma at a college and going to uni. (doing applied science as an alternative to what I did in Sixth form)
- I also discovered online courses that are very cheap in fields like zookeeping(8m) and even zoology(1yr). That can be finished in a year under £1500 fee and they also offer me with a placement after finishing the course.

The second option seems the best from my POV but my parents are insistent on me doing uni. The course in zookeeping really appeals to me personally as they also offer placement work after finishing the course in ZSL london zoo with hands on work with animals.

Now the online courses are very flexible, I can finish whenever I like within the 2 year time/access I get and can also get started working right away.

I would like to hear from experiences what would be the best path for me to choose. Personally, I came up with the plan of doing the online zookeeping course and the applied science course together so that I can also go to uni. but the issue with that is, I won't get time to start the placement work then as I will have to be going to uni once I finish my applied science.

Please if there are any good advises out there, it would be really helpful thank you.
Reply 1
Hi there,

Congratulations on finishing sixth form! I understand that you're disappointed about not getting the grades you wanted, but it sounds like you're taking a proactive approach to figuring out your next steps.

I think it's great that you're considering online courses as an option. They can be a great way to learn new skills and gain experience, especially in fields like zoology and zookeeping. The placement work that you mentioned is also a really valuable opportunity, and it would give you a chance to work with animals and see if a career in this field is right for you.

As for your parents' wishes for you to go to university, I understand their perspective. A university degree can open up a lot of doors, and it can be a great way to further your education and advance your career. However, I don't think you should rule out the online courses just because they're not a traditional university degree. They can be just as valuable, and they may be a better fit for you right now.

Ultimately, the best path for you is the one that you feel most comfortable with. If you're passionate about zookeeping and you think that the online course would give you the skills and experience you need, then I say go for it! You can always go to university later if you decide that's what you want to do.
Original post by Briana_J_2003
Hello,

I am 19 years old living in the UK, moved here from india 2 years ago and recently finished sixth form. As I had just oved countries I found it very hard to cope with new education system and didn't have much knowledge of the choices that I had like college. Sixth form was very hard, and i did not get the grades I expected. I have always dreamed of being a Zoologist and have also applied to Unis but unfortunately due to my grades I will not be going this year. So I started to consider other options that I might have before jumping to conclusions.
- Doing an applied science diploma at a college and going to uni. (doing applied science as an alternative to what I did in Sixth form)
- I also discovered online courses that are very cheap in fields like zookeeping(8m) and even zoology(1yr). That can be finished in a year under £1500 fee and they also offer me with a placement after finishing the course.

The second option seems the best from my POV but my parents are insistent on me doing uni. The course in zookeeping really appeals to me personally as they also offer placement work after finishing the course in ZSL london zoo with hands on work with animals.

Now the online courses are very flexible, I can finish whenever I like within the 2 year time/access I get and can also get started working right away.

I would like to hear from experiences what would be the best path for me to choose. Personally, I came up with the plan of doing the online zookeeping course and the applied science course together so that I can also go to uni. but the issue with that is, I won't get time to start the placement work then as I will have to be going to uni once I finish my applied science.

Please if there are any good advises out there, it would be really helpful thank you.

To become a zoologist, you need to attend university and then progress onto postgrad (and there are no other alternatives). See:
https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/job-profiles/zoologist
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/zoologist

If you want to change directions and become a zookeeper, which requires no qualifications, you can see if you can get a job at your local zoo.

In terms of qualificatons, I presume the diploma in applied science that you're referring to is a BTEC. A BTEC whilst at Level 3 (which should make it equivalent to A Levels), is not considered as reputable as A Levels. Depending on the BTEC, it can represent 1 -3 A Levels.

Universities offering suitable undergrad degrees (e.g. zoology, biology, environmental biology, marine biology) are asking for something between AAA-ABB for A Levels. In terms of BTEC grades, this usually mean something like 2-3 distinctions.
Entry requirements for these degrees usually involve at least Biology + one other science A Level + one other A Level.

The first thing I would do first is to check the entry requirements for the specific degree at the specific university that you wish to attend and to see if they would accept the qualifications that you intend to do.

Personal recommendation is to resit your A Levels. If you need help, look for resources and tips on YouTube, credible websites, and from people who have achieved the grades you want.
Original post by Briana_J_2003
Hello,

I think you need to firstly figure out what you want to do long term, then figure out the best route to that. Importantly, note that being a zookeeper is not the same as being a zoologist, and they are very different roles. Zookeepers are people trained in animal husbandry of exotic species. Zoologists are scientists that research aspects of animal biology. While zoologists may work with zoos in some capacities, much of their work is going to be based in university laboratories and/or doing fieldwork abroad.

Also just as a heads up, a significant amount of what zoologists study are insects, nematode worms, and corals (as they are all highly diverse species while also being ecological cornerstones). Thus they spend a lot less time working on the large mammals and reptiles and birds etc, that zoos tend to work with. So it's important to manage your expectations there - I recall going to a talk at the bioscience department of a good sized uni here and they said every year they get lots of students who want to study zoology as they love big cats, or wolves, or elephants or what have you, or to study marine biology to work with whales or dolphins or similar, and being disappointed that a lot of zoology and marine biology focuses on the small stuff - as often the small stuff has a much bigger and more important ecological role than the big stuff! (not to mention at least some of the course is going to be biochemistry, cell and molecular biology, developmental biology, physiology etc, which will be fairly general and more abstract than discussing a particular organism)

No matter what though, your parents aside, there isn't any rush to go to uni in the UK. There are no age cut-offs and universities do not preferentially take school leavers over those who have taken a gap year (or several - or indeed have had a whole career before changing direction!). I would probably recommend initially not focusing on moving onto a new academic course (either a degree programme or a college course) and instead look at jobs and work experience in your area in the field(s) of interest to you. Bear in mind if your goal is to work in a zoo, I imagine any kind of animal handling experience will be useful background - so also look at e.g. local farms, dairies, stables, vets, pet shops etc. As these can give you a sense of what it's like to do that kind of daily animal handling!

This can also help you focus on what is that is of interest to you, and to give you time to explore your intellectual interests in the field (or another field entirely perhaps!) outside of a formal qualification. Given more freedom to explore your interests along with (hopefully) getting some experience in animal handling fields, this might help you confirm which route you may prefer and may reignite your interest and focus on academic matters, better setting you up to succeed if you do decide to pursue any kind of course later :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending