The Student Room Group

RVC lectures

Hi there, Could someone please tell me how many lectures a week you have at RVC in years 3 and 4? I understand that from the 4th year there are no lectures, but you have clinical rotations instead. Could someone please explain this in more detail how this works? How many hours a week are you required to be on site? Is it a set 9-5? I'm asking as I'm a mature prospect trying to figure out how I can manage studying as well as childcare for example.
Reply 1
In third and fourth year the number of lectures per week can vary quite a bit but is usually around 10ish. Some weeks can be very heavy by having quite a lot of lectures or just a lot of complicated content. There are lectures in fourth year but only for the first 9 or so weeks and then you have fourth year exams on that content not long after the last lectures. After the exams you have electives and a research project you have to start and then rotations begin a few months later. I hope that helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Tilly M
In third and fourth year the number of lectures per week can vary quite a bit but is usually around 10ish. Some weeks can be very heavy by having quite a lot of lectures or just a lot of complicated content. There are lectures in fourth year but only for the first 9 or so weeks and then you have fourth year exams on that content not long after the last lectures. After the exams you have electives and a research project you have to start and then rotations begin a few months later. I hope that helps :smile:

Thanks Tilly for your reply, much appreciated - it's tough to find information :smile: I'd have 2 follow up questions if you don't mind - When you are doing electives and the research project, how does that look like in terms of rough weekly schedule? Presumably you'd have to be on site less? Also for the rotations - I understand these are at the Hawkshead campus, are these 9-5?
Reply 3
RVC mature students - Hi there! I was wondering if there are any RVC BVetMed mature students out there who I could connect with? I'd love to learn about your experience about managing the schedule with other commitments and also about the L3 diploma courses you took to get in. Please let me know :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by orsif
Thanks Tilly for your reply, much appreciated - it's tough to find information :smile: I'd have 2 follow up questions if you don't mind - When you are doing electives and the research project, how does that look like in terms of rough weekly schedule? Presumably you'd have to be on site less? Also for the rotations - I understand these are at the Hawkshead campus, are these 9-5?

Electives start in February and last four weeks. Due to COVID most of it has an online option but if COVID improves that’ll most likely be different in the future. Your advised to work a full day on elective lectures plus surrounding reading. The research project block follows the electives and lasts four weeks. It is something you decide to research with your supervisor. What you choose to do can be quite varied but most analyse data from veterinary practices but you can do pathology and lab based things as well among other things. Depending on what you choose to do the time you have to spend on it and where your based is quite variable. The rotations mainly happen at Hawkshead but also across the country. Some of them require you at weekends and on call/nights. I hope that’s helpful for you although I wouldn’t be surprised if they changed up the timetable quite a bit when COVID improves :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Tilly M
Electives start in February and last four weeks. Due to COVID most of it has an online option but if COVID improves that’ll most likely be different in the future. Your advised to work a full day on elective lectures plus surrounding reading. The research project block follows the electives and lasts four weeks. It is something you decide to research with your supervisor. What you choose to do can be quite varied but most analyse data from veterinary practices but you can do pathology and lab based things as well among other things. Depending on what you choose to do the time you have to spend on it and where your based is quite variable. The rotations mainly happen at Hawkshead but also across the country. Some of them require you at weekends and on call/nights. I hope that’s helpful for you although I wouldn’t be surprised if they changed up the timetable quite a bit when COVID improves :smile:

Thanks again Tilly! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending