The Student Room Group

Geography or history?!??!

HI GUYS PLEASE TELL ME IF I SHOULD TAKE GEOGRAPHY OR HISTORY I HAVE NO IDEA WHICH ONE TO CHOOSE AS IM GOOD AT THEM BOTH!!!!!
Any advice on what to choose is appreciated!!
thanks <33

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Which one do you find more interesting? Do that.

(I'd say History every time but this has to be your choice).
Original post by onacapogrossi
HI GUYS PLEASE TELL ME IF I SHOULD TAKE GEOGRAPHY OR HISTORY I HAVE NO IDEA WHICH ONE TO CHOOSE AS IM GOOD AT THEM BOTH!!!!!
thanks <33

Looking at it from a long-term perspective. To do a history-related degree, you will need history A-level which requires a GCSE in History whereas, with Geography-related courses, you wouldn't need Geography A-level but instead A-level sciences if you decide to do Physical Geography hence, you'd have more options open if you picked History over Geography, assuming that you're equally good at and interested in both.
(edited 2 years ago)
history is more fun and interesting!!! (personally I toom both and loved both so I would say take both)
if you have to choose choose history (I preferred it as it was more interesting and politics based)
but geography is amazing as well I'm probably taking both at a level
Why not both?
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Why not both?

This is something schools do just to fit into the Ebacc criteria.
Original post by Cleebee
This is something schools do just to fit into the Ebacc criteria.

It’s possible to take both history and geography.
It’s possible to take both history and geography.

True. However, it doesn't seem like their school allows them to, probably because of the EBacc criteria but I don't know.
thanks <33

Is it for GCSE or a level?

I did both at GCSE and enjoyed both but preferred the Geography.

I’m now in year 12 and I study a level geography and am really enjoying it

If you want more info on the course just ask :smile:
Original post by Cleebee
True. However, it doesn't seem like their school allows them to, probably because of the EBacc criteria but I don't know.

The EBacc doesn’t prevent people from taking both - I took both in a school that pushed everyone to fulfil the EBacc criteria. If anything, it would be the timetabling of both subjects that might potentially prevent them from taking history and geography.
The EBacc doesn’t prevent people from taking both - I took both in a school that pushed everyone to fulfil the EBacc criteria. If anything, it would be the timetabling of both subjects that might potentially prevent them from taking history and geography.

I guess it's different for other schools then. Hopefully, if they ask them they'll be allowed to take it. I wanted to take both but wasn't allowed to.
Definitely Geography. Trust me the content is a lot more interesting. Geography is a combo of Scientific knowledge along with writing whereas as history there is a whole lotta writing with geog you get that nice balance. Do Geography you won’t regret it
Original post by Cleebee
I guess it's different for other schools then. Hopefully, if they ask them they'll be allowed to take it. I wanted to take both but wasn't allowed to.

That’s a shame, did your school have a reason for not allowing both? I remember my school generally discouraged it when both were taken with triple science because they thought it be “too much”, but they made exceptions to those they thought could “handle it”.
thanks <33

I did both Geography and History GCSE, got a 9 in them both and now do History A-Level. I always preferred History before even picking my GCSE’s and that meant that the workload and revision for History was really enjoyable and manageable for me. However, if you don’t currently have a preference between the two I would choose Geography as it’s easier and a bit less info to remember.

History is far more interesting in my opinion but if you truly like them the same amount then I’d go for geography as it’s easier to get a higher grade I would say.
Original post by hamlethoratio
I did both Geography and History GCSE, got a 9 in them both and now do History A-Level. I always preferred History before even picking my GCSE’s and that meant that the workload and revision for History was really enjoyable and manageable for me. However, if you don’t currently have a preference between the two I would choose Geography as it’s easier and a bit less info to remember.

History is far more interesting in my opinion but if you truly like them the same amount then I’d go for geography as it’s easier to get a higher grade I would say.

Oh but I would also consider taking both history and geography if your school allows it! I really enjoyed taking both :smile:
Really up to you. I'd suggest looking at the syllabuses and seeing what is covered in each to see if the particular topics interest you - when I was doing my GCSEs and picking options, for example, GCSE History was referred to as "Hitler studies" because the emphasis was pretty much purely on World War II Germany. A lot of people might not be as interested in that, potentially. Of course that was quite a long time ago so the syllabus has probably changed, but the principle of seeing what is covered remains and is worth considering.

You may also want to consider if your school requires you to have done either to GCSE to continue to the A-level, and whether the A-level is necessary or useful for you in future. Particularly if you want to apply to uni, history degrees normally require A-level History. Geography degrees don't always require A-level Geography but it's required about half the time. It's also useful background potentially for earth sciences/geology at uni I gather.
(edited 2 years ago)
If you rlly can’t come to a decision then take both but otherwise take geography. Have a look at the syllabus and content and see which sounds more intriguing. I’d also recommend talking to senior students of both subjects too so they can give you some insight.
That’s a shame, did your school have a reason for not allowing both? I remember my school generally discouraged it when both were taken with triple science because they thought it was “too much”, but they made exceptions to those they thought could “handle it”.

They said that everyone had to choose between them - a lot of people chose Geography and I chose History and got made fun of for it. I have no idea why but yeah, that happened.
Original post by Cleebee
They said that everyone had to choose between them - a lot of people chose Geography and I chose History and got made fun of for it. I have no idea why but yeah, that happened.

Ignore the people who made fun of you for it, they’re just ignorant of the importance history plays in our lives.
That’s a shame, did your school have a reason for not allowing both? I remember my school generally discouraged it when both were taken with triple science because they thought it be “too much”, but they made exceptions to those they thought could “handle it”.

oh wow that’s surprising! I took triple science, geography, history and French gcse and was essentially forced into it by my school so that sounds like the opposite situation lol

I wasn’t even good at science either in y9 haha

Quick Reply

Latest