The Student Room Group

NUS Law or Kings college London for Law

Hi, I am looking for opinions as my daughter got into NUS Law and kings college law. Daughter is keen in London. But she being Singaporean, will she be preferred in employment offers in London.
Her priority is to complete BAR and get employment.
London study expense for foreign students being much more expensive, will it be worth to pay that much if employability for foreign student is a challenge later.
Kings is a great school in the UK but it isn't the best, NUS is the best school not only in Singapore, but I would say in Asia as well. Getting into NUS is an incredible achievement (like Oxford, Cambridge, Havard, etc).

I dont think employability will be too much of an issue as the new post-study 2 year visa will promote international students to work, but after that, it's a toss-up regarding whether a company would sponsor her with a Tier 2 visa. BUT again governments change and policies change so you can't really predict anything regarding visas right now.

If she does go to Kings and then does her master in law or a vocational course from a top uni/firm I would assume she would be paid more than she would in Singapore (don't quote me on this tho!). I am pretty sure she can also complete her degree elsewhere and then work in the UK, if she gets the appropriate qualifications. Kings is probably one of the top 10 if not top 5 schools in the UK for law - so it really just depends on whether she wants her undergrad experience to be in the UK or SG.
Reply 2
Original post by thomas234542
Kings is a great school in the UK but it isn't the best, NUS is the best school not only in Singapore, but I would say in Asia as well. Getting into NUS is an incredible achievement (like Oxford, Cambridge, Havard, etc).

I dont think employability will be too much of an issue as the new post-study 2 year visa will promote international students to work, but after that, it's a toss-up regarding whether a company would sponsor her with a Tier 2 visa. BUT again governments change and policies change so you can't really predict anything regarding visas right now.

If she does go to Kings and then does her master in law or a vocational course from a top uni/firm I would assume she would be paid more than she would in Singapore (don't quote me on this tho!). I am pretty sure she can also complete her degree elsewhere and then work in the UK, if she gets the appropriate qualifications. Kings is probably one of the top 10 if not top 5 schools in the UK for law - so it really just depends on whether she wants her undergrad experience to be in the UK or SG.

Thanks, this is helpful
Original post by Pksg
Hi, I am looking for opinions as my daughter got into NUS Law and kings college law. Daughter is keen in London. But she being Singaporean, will she be preferred in employment offers in London.
Her priority is to complete BAR and get employment.
London study expense for foreign students being much more expensive, will it be worth to pay that much if employability for foreign student is a challenge later.

Your daughter will need to decide on whether she wants to be a solicitor or a barrister.

Why would she be "preferred" for employment offers in London? She is not a domestic student and she will be assessed like every other international - so, on the strength of her English, commitment to the UK, as well as everything else.

Employability is a difficult one because studying in Singapore and having most of one's work experience there makes it seem like they are only applying to London as a backup or as a temporary 'launch point' for a career back in Singapore. She won't be disadvantaged directly but indirectly, based on perception.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending