The Student Room Group

What’s your difficulty rating of GCSEs 2022?

Hello : )) how are you guys finding the exams so far? Overall, are they easy, easier, hard, okay etc

Personally I feel as if they are kinda hard, in each paper I sat so far there’s been a small few q’s that threw me off and lots of people are saying that they are easy asf so I’m scared

Edit: im gonna revise for chem now good luck with chem tmrw! byeee :biggrin: I probably won’t reply back until tmrw
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

for most part, i've find them the same difficulty as mocks and other past papers but on nearly every paper there have been questions that through me off too. i think a lot of people can tend to be over dramatic about how they found exams so either start sobbing or say it was all easy even though there were both easier and harder questions. not everyone will have done well and often people are bad at judging how an exam was so grade boundaries wont be that different to previous years - just try to ignore them :smile:
personally, i've found them easier than my mocks. it may be because they've been easier papers or my revision has paid off, but either way im kinda happy with how they're going. only thing i would say is reading and listening for AQA German threw me off slightly but for the most part it was ok. english lit i had yesterday from edexcel - macbeth was fine but i wasn't too happy with inspector calls. :/ hope you're alright! remember if you put the effort in, you'll get rewards out of it!
Original post by dreamiix
Hello : )) how are you guys finding the exams so far? Overall, are they easy, easier, hard, okay etc

Personally I feel as if they are kinda hard, in each paper I sat so far there’s been a small few q’s that threw me off and lots of people are saying that they are easy asf so I’m scared

so far it's okay
try not to listen to people because if a person comes out saying 'it was a walk in the park' type exam, then usually something is wrong or everyone else found it easy. usually, the exams are not made to be that easy it should be a paper which people who find the subject harder can do and people who find it easier.
good luck for the rest of ur exams!
french listening was disgusting, i could not understand anything although reading was quite good.
i wasn't happy with the christmas carol question- it wasn't terrible but could have been better although i did like the aic question :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by dahlia06
so far it's okay
try not to listen to people because if a person comes out saying 'it was a walk in the park' type exam, then usually something is wrong or everyone else found it easy. usually, the exams are not made to be that easy it should be a paper which people who find the subject harder can do and people who find it easier.
french listening was disgusting, i could not understand anything although reading was quite good.
i wasn't happy with the christmas carol question- it wasn't terrible but could have been better although i did like the aic question :smile:

It is TSR, so there's probably a number of people who did find it very easy. Bear in mind TSR isn't representative of students as a whole, a reasonable number will get all/majority 8s/9s. Some will then become unstuck at A-level but some won't.

on the contrary I remember comparing the grade distribution for 2018 A-level maths and the after-exam poll, fewer in the whole country got above some % than voted that in the poll. (or something like that, it was obvious many had overestimated from the poll in any case) They probably did very well regardless but not the sky-high mark they thought. The person who got the highest mark in the country was on TSR as well

I say this mainly so people don't panic if they found an exam easy because they were just very good, but also that the people who thought they blitzed the exam with full marks may/probably will have tripped up here and there. (it's very hard to do even an exam you find quite easy perfectly)
(edited 1 year ago)
It's pretty normal in exams to find at least one or two questions hard. If you're only getting thrown off by a couple of questions, you are doing very well.
Original post by edjc123
for most part, i've find them the same difficulty as mocks and other past papers but on nearly every paper there have been questions that through me off too. i think a lot of people can tend to be over dramatic about how they found exams so either start sobbing or say it was all easy even though there were both easier and harder questions. not everyone will have done well and often people are bad at judging how an exam was so grade boundaries wont be that different to previous years - just try to ignore them :smile:

sorry, I feel like in some exams where I’m aiming for 8/9s I have been a touch over dramatic, and thank you, I hope you do well in your exams :biggrin:

Oh also I agree w the fact that they have a good range of q’s from like really easy to quite difficult, I think I have holes in some areas of revision sadly, which is why I find the harder q’s…harder 💀
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by cerealkillerr
personally, i've found them easier than my mocks. it may be because they've been easier papers or my revision has paid off, but either way im kinda happy with how they're going. only thing i would say is reading and listening for AQA German threw me off slightly but for the most part it was ok. english lit i had yesterday from edexcel - macbeth was fine but i wasn't too happy with inspector calls. :/ hope you're alright! remember if you put the effort in, you'll get rewards out of it!

Thank you :smile: I’m glad that you are finding the exams easier I hope you are doing well/do well in your exams, I’m sorry about the listening and reading, do you have writing in aqa? If you do you can use that to bump up your grades and if I’m honest my English literature didn’t go very well either but ig we just have to look to the future :’)
(edited 1 year ago)
so far it's okay

Thank youu, and now that I think about it, everyone is aiming to get a certain grade and everyone has different goals, I’m aiming to get a’s, but other people may be aiming to get a pass so we all have our own goals and therefore others may find the test more easier and doable and feel less disappointed

thank you! Best of luck to you as well :biggrin: Ooo what is your exam board for French and English? I did edexcel for French and (i literally cannot hear anything in my left ear) but the listening was alr the reading put me off tho, I understand how you feel about English lit, I do aqa and I always run out of time so I understand what you mean about wanting to do better
Because my school is kinda tapped, they gave us some hard ass mocks, so I've been finding GCSE's to be sm easier. I wasn't happy with all of them ofc, but I'm fine with most subjects. I wish I did a little more for others tho :/ especially french listening, I wanted to do betterrr
Thank youu, and now that I think about it, everyone is aiming to get a certain grade and everyone has different goals, I’m aiming to get a’s, but other people may be aiming to get a pass so we all have our own goals and therefore others may find the test more easier and doable and feel less disappointed

thank you! Best of luck to you as well :biggrin: Ooo what is your exam board for French and English? I did edexcel for French and (i literally cannot hear anything in my left ear) but the listening was alr the reading put me off tho, I understand how you feel about English lit, I do aqa and I always run out of time so I understand what you mean about wanting to do better

i do aqa for both french and english- and so far of all the people i've heard who do languages (aqa) have found the exams significantly harder, especially for listening. i never finish my english lit papers because i end up going to far into one point- for acc i wrote 2 and a half pages about 2 quotes... but anyways, you're exactly right- we all have different goals and different grades we want to aim for, i hope you get your 7s you're aiming for!!
i did my aqa re exam a couple hours ago with the aspiration of achieving a 7/8.... let's just say im glad to have finished re.
good luck for chem tomorrow!!
Original post by _gcx
It is TSR, so there's probably a number of people who did find it very easy. Bear in mind TSR isn't representative of students as a whole, a reasonable number will get all/majority 8s/9s. Some will then become unstuck at A-level but some won't.

on the contrary I remember comparing the grade distribution for 2018 A-level maths and the after-exam poll, fewer in the whole country got above some % than voted that in the poll. (or something like that, it was obvious many had overestimated from the poll in any case) They probably did very well regardless but not the sky-high mark they thought. The person who got the highest mark in the country was on TSR as well

I say this mainly so people don't panic if they found an exam easy because they were just very good, but also that the people who thought they blitzed the exam with full marks may/probably will have tripped up here and there. (it's very hard to do even an exam you find quite easy perfectly)

Thank you very much, it’s mainly at my school though, everytime I exit the exam hall I can hear “it’s was good it was easy” echoing in the corridors

But now that I think about it everyone who replied on here is correct - people who found it easy may have misread the q’s and misunderstood it, this happened last mock and lots of people did worse than they expected
Thank you so much for telling me about the poll that’s reassuring, and thank you for your response :smile:
Original post by _gcx
It's pretty normal in exams to find at least one or two questions hard. If you're only getting thrown off by a couple of questions, you are doing very well.

Thank you this makes me feel a little bit less stressed out
Original post by banana8224
Because my school is kinda tapped, they gave us some hard ass mocks, so I've been finding GCSE's to be sm easier. I wasn't happy with all of them ofc, but I'm fine with most subjects. I wish I did a little more for others tho :/ especially french listening, I wanted to do betterrr

My school does that too! It’s jarring as hell they do it to show that we have improved a lot from mocks to actual gcses. In the science department at my school they literally make the exam papers and it’s filled w literally all grade 7/8/9 q’s and I got under half every single mock but when I did a real past paper I got 70% Ik what you mean about t he French but with speaking, I hope you do well regardless tho! :smile:
i do aqa for both french and english- and so far of all the people i've heard who do languages (aqa) have found the exams significantly harder, especially for listening. i never finish my english lit papers because i end up going to far into one point- for acc i wrote 2 and a half pages about 2 quotes... but anyways, you're exactly right- we all have different goals and different grades we want to aim for, i hope you get your 7s you're aiming for!!
i did my aqa re exam a couple hours ago with the aspiration of achieving a 7/8.... let's just say im glad to have finished re.
good luck for chem tomorrow!!

If I’m honest yk all the aqa exams are a lot more harder than I expected and it’s really depressing, except rs really. I hope they do drop the grade boundaries for the languages in aqa because the grade boundaries are already ridiculously high so idk what aqa is thinking and from what you told me they do seem hard and I do not doubt you, congrats on reading tho! Same!! in the English literature I added so much context and structure theres probably 80% of it and the rest is analysing quotes 💀💀, since you wrote a lot about only two quotes I think you can expect a good mark, hopefully, especially if you did a lot of analysing and used a lot f suvject terminology! and yeah there is hardly no time but if I’m honest the q for aic was great, idk about christmas carol bcs I do poetry, I hope you do get a really decent mark tho!

How did you find re? I wrote so much my hand was raww 💀💀 and thank you I hope you do achieve the best grades possible! And good luck to you too!

not too bad but i’ve found that i’ve made so so many mistakes due to just the limited time and the exam stress
Original post by sxphielol
not too bad but i’ve found that i’ve made so so many mistakes due to just the limited time and the exam stress

It’s always the little mistakes that bring us down : (( I’m sorry about that, take it slow and remember it’s alright, it’s good that you attempted the questions, I hope you are well and you do great
(edited 1 year ago)
It’s always the little mistakes that bring us down : (( I’m sorry about that, take it slow

wish I could take it slow i’ve ran out of time in all my exams😅
Original post by sxphielol
wish I could take it slow i’ve ran out of time in all my exams😅

Even in the exams remember to take a small 10 second breather to console yourself you can also think about the next q while your at it :smile: I ran out of time in every paper as well time flies but at the very least you were able to answer a few q’s just like me, next exam make sure to not spend too much time on one q and have a go at each q! There’s nothing much to lose!
sorry, I feel like in some exams where I’m aiming for 8/9s I have been a touch over dramatic, and thank you, I hope you do well in your exams :biggrin:

Oh also I agree w the fact that they have a good range of q’s from like really easy to quite difficult, I think I have holes in some areas of revision sadly, which is why I find the harder q’s…harder 💀

yeah, for me i think its going well until there is a question worded weirdly, an obscure application of knowledge thing (aqa bio metabolism...), or just something i didnt expect them to ask even if i know stuff (aqa history wwi 16 marker...) so then it freaks me out even regardless of how many marks its worth. its good to be aware though of how you tend to think about exams to put it into perspective i guess

Quick Reply

Latest