The Student Room Group

medicine 2nd year

I am currently retaking my second year as last year I was struggling severely with my mental health due to covid and other factors. Hence, I went on academic leave at Christmas and decided to start again in September. In my first year, I didn't have a proper exam only formative due to covid so up until now I have never taken an exam at university. I recently found out I failed my end-of-year exam and would have to resit. I took my first resit exam today and found it more complicated than the original exam. My second exam is tomorrow and I'm extremely nervous about failing this exam again as I don't know if they would let me retake the year again.
I go to Sheffield University and they have a 3 strike system where you get kicked out if you fail 3 exams but I'm not sure if they would still kick me out if I fail.
Medicine is everything to me and I have worked towards it since I was 11 years old. I can't think of anything else id want to do with my life. So dropping out is out of the question for me I don't feel like I will ever be able to give up on this dream.
I understand where I have gone wrong with my revision and I feel like if I retook the year I could be so much better.
I basically want to see if other people think I will be removed from the course if I fail my resit and if I do get kicked out is there any other way I can still become a doctor?
Original post by jb1912
I am currently retaking my second year as last year I was struggling severely with my mental health due to covid and other factors. Hence, I went on academic leave at Christmas and decided to start again in September. In my first year, I didn't have a proper exam only formative due to covid so up until now I have never taken an exam at university. I recently found out I failed my end-of-year exam and would have to resit. I took my first resit exam today and found it more complicated than the original exam. My second exam is tomorrow and I'm extremely nervous about failing this exam again as I don't know if they would let me retake the year again.
I go to Sheffield University and they have a 3 strike system where you get kicked out if you fail 3 exams but I'm not sure if they would still kick me out if I fail.
Medicine is everything to me and I have worked towards it since I was 11 years old. I can't think of anything else id want to do with my life. So dropping out is out of the question for me I don't feel like I will ever be able to give up on this dream.
I understand where I have gone wrong with my revision and I feel like if I retook the year I could be so much better.
I basically want to see if other people think I will be removed from the course if I fail my resit and if I do get kicked out is there any other way I can still become a doctor?

Hi there.

Sorry to hear about you failing but please don't give up. If you've already failed to complete a degree at another medical school then you can be prevented from enrolling onto another at another UK med school. or @GANFYD can confirm/correct this and provide further help. :smile:

Best wishes. :smile:
Original post by jb1912

Hey I’m also at Sheffield, year below you and just failed first year

I asked Victoria Hughes (I’m sure you know her). She asked someone else and explained that when they say fail three exams they basically mean three exam seasons, but because of how the exams work (averaging grades), failing one exam season (ie 2 or 3 exams) only counts for one strike.

Honestly so many people failed from your year, heard it was about 104, you’re far from the only one who’s going to be in this situation.

In terms of retaking the year, Sheffield is usually pretty up for that from what i understand, so you definitely could retake if you wanted. Don’t give up on yourself yet. Remember theres no real pressure and you might just surprise yourself.

Hope this helped,

Summer exam seasons hard, we got this xx
Hello, I’m a 4th year med at Oxford uni, about to go into 5th and if it’s any constellation to you, 2nd year is the worst, oxbridge especially really loves to give more work than other unis. Just pull through 2nd year and you’ll be fine. Itll get better after that i promise. When talking about your exams, you’re the best judge of how you did. I’m sure you’re overthinking it, as do I many times! But you have to remember if let’s say the exams don’t go to plans, unis are very considerate about extenuating circumstances like yours, I had a friend who’s dropped a year twice. So don’t worry about that, and hey if they don’t let you continue it’s not the end of the world, you can always follow a similar path like pharmaceuticals, oncology etc. There are many links with medicine. Good luck in the future wishing you the best:smile:
Hey I just failed first year at Sheffield too, how are you feeling about the resits I’m really worried I’m going to have to resit the year
Original post by Brightskyorange
Hey I just failed first year at Sheffield too, how are you feeling about the resits I’m really worried I’m going to have to resit the year

I’m pretty worried too, not really much we can do but try and keep working for one more week i guess?
Original post by happydayys
I’m pretty worried too, not really much we can do but try and keep working for one more week i guess?

How much did you fail by, do you know what our chances are of resitting the year, will they allow us?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending