The Student Room Group

Arsey's D1 Edexcel Summer 2013 Model Solutions BOTH PAPERS

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by lebron_23
Hey Arsey, sorry to annoy the crap out of you on both threads >.< but I was just wondering would I get penalised on Q1 for not drawing out my final matchings on the nodes they provided? I didn't see them on the next page and ended up drawing my own on the first.. Thanks as always. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 181
Original post by Nonomomo
Yes I don't. Do papers outside of UK differ from the one taken locally despite it also being from Edexcel; taken on the same day and time?

They are setting two papers this year dependent upon time zone, to help reduce opportunities for cheating.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arsey
No, that is wrong. The LB is found from activities which must happen not may.

Second bit is fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you arsey and for the quick sort I got the same as you but it was messy but the examiners are they experienced markers , they wont deduct mark for it right?

and for question 1 the improved matching what did u have to show
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Arsey
Fairly reasonable paper I thought

1. Matchings - pretty simple, although not breaking down the 2 required paths into separate part of the question, could cause problems.

2. Quick sort and Bin packing - very easy, I thought it was odd how the first-fit decreasing didn't reduce the number of bins though

3. Prim's and Kruskal's - very easy

4. Dikky - harder than normal due to the sneaky part of the route. Quite easy to mank up b) too.

5. Postie - standard. A common error on c) will be to repeat DE.

6. LP - not easy but it never is. Part b) will be a bloodbath.

alt to part b)

no more than 1.5 times as many small as large

for every 3 small you need at least 2 big

7. CPA - Fairly standard but the backward scans not using the dummy paths will be a very common error. Gantt chart took too long. f) and g) will be poorly answered.

Overall I would say it was a little easier than Jan, I would expect it to be around 63 for an A.

This summer I will upload solutions to the following Edexcel papers:

Core 1;
Core 2;
Core 3;
Core 4;
FP1;
M1;
M2;
S1;
D1;
D2.

I will try to get hold of some solutions for FP2; FP3 and M3.

I don't do S2 :frown:

All papers will be uploaded in line with site rules (please don't PM me asking when I will I be uploading them).

Hey,

I am not sure if anyone has told you yet (or I am just blind) but you have not included activity "G" in your Gantt chart.

Needless to say but I have to deduct 1 mark sorry lol :colone:
Reply 184

For question 7c, I only stated the effects that the delays would have, but I didn't explain why... I guess that would lose both marks? Thanks for the answers by the way!

Same? Who we lose all the marks? :frown:

Thank you, much appreciated :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arsey
No, that is wrong. The LB is found from activities which must happen not may.

Second bit is fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please Arsey did you get my quote, god bless you :smile: so sorry please forgive me
Reply 187
Original post by otrivine
thank you arsey and for the quick sort I got the same as you but it was messy but the examiners are they experienced markers , they wont deduct mark for it right?

and for question 1 the improved matching what did u have to show

Should be fine. Not all markers are experienced but if they are unsure they can ask their team leader who will be.

You can request a copy of your paper. It only costs about £10. Worth it if you think it has been marked incorrectly.

Regarding the improved matching, you can either list the matchings or draw them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arsey
Should be fine. Not all markers are experienced but if they are unsure they can ask their team leader who will be.

You can request a copy of your paper. It only costs about £10. Worth it if you think it has been marked incorrectly.

Regarding the improved matching, you can either list the matchings or draw them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I stated the complete matching like A=3,B=5 e.t.c for the 2 ? I did not draw them
Reply 189

Arsey thanks for putting up the mrkscheme

2 questions
1) in the bin packing do we have to state how much was wasted?
2) for prism algorithm do they mark the distance matrix table ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 190

Why couldn't it be right?
Original post by Arsey

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I stated the complete matching like A=3,B=5 e.t.c for the 2 ? I did not draw them
I drew my gantt chart in pencil and i didn't get enough time to go over it in pen...is it alright? Will i lose marks because of this?😖

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 193
Original post by Priya08
Arsey thanks for putting up the mrkscheme

2 questions
1) in the bin packing do we have to state how much was wasted?
2) for prism algorithm do they mark the distance matrix table ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No
No

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 194
Original post by bluelezah
I drew my gantt chart in pencil and i didn't get enough time to go over it in pen...is it alright? Will i lose marks because of this?😖

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 195
Original post by otrivine

That's fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

But why would I lose marks for the improved matching then? when i stated the complete mathcing , thanks
Thanks a lot for the mark scheme, 1 question...

On Q 4a, I got node E, H and T Off by 1 (because I didn't consider GE :frown::frown: ), which also caused the path to be wrong, out of the 6 marks would I lose all of them?
Reply 198
hi ARSEY
for the quick sort i multiplied all by 10 to make it easier for me but after sorting i put the final answer back to decimals, would i loose mark for using this method?

for the linear programming i only worked out what x and y is by substituting the equations i did not sub the numbers to find the total cost, how many marks do i loose ?

on question 7 b i only said it would affect the total time because its a critical activity but i didnt say it would be delayed by 2days? would i loose all the marks for this?

for 7f i said at time 12 FDEH would be going on, i know this is wrong but would i get a method mark?

and for 7g I said the chart is better because it shows the activites that needs to be done by the workers.do i have any chance of getting a mark?

THANK YOU
Reply 199
Original post by Arsey
Fairly reasonable paper I thought

1. Matchings - pretty simple, although not breaking down the 2 required paths into separate part of the question, could cause problems.

2. Quick sort and Bin packing - very easy, I thought it was odd how the first-fit decreasing didn't reduce the number of bins though

3. Prim's and Kruskal's - very easy

4. Dikky - harder than normal due to the sneaky part of the route. Quite easy to mank up b) too.

5. Postie - standard. A common error on c) will be to repeat DE.

6. LP - not easy but it never is. Part b) will be a bloodbath.

alt to part b)

no more than 1.5 times as many small as large

for every 3 small you need at least 2 big

7. CPA - Fairly standard but the backward scans not using the dummy paths will be a very common error. Gantt chart took too long. f) and g) will be poorly answered.

Overall I would say it was a little easier than Jan, I would expect it to be around 63 for an A.

This summer I will upload solutions to the following Edexcel papers:

Core 1;
Core 2;
Core 3;
Core 4;
FP1;
M1;
M2;
S1;
D1;
D2.

I will try to get hold of some solutions for FP2; FP3 and M3.

I don't do S2 :frown:

All papers will be uploaded in line with site rules (please don't PM me asking when I will I be uploading them).

With the linear programming I plotted the cost line wrong didn't have time to change it but did everything else right would I only loose 1 mark and also how many marks would I loose on the dykstras if I got 31 as the answer do you reckon ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending