University College London
London

UCL Medicine Applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Original post by Sp22
I have an interview on the 20th Jan :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Also, when did u get the email for the interview?? omg u have great stats btw haha
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by gabby07
Sorry I didn't mean it like that! Just meant to ask politely.

I know lol, i was joking.
Reply 262
Original post by 16ckim
Also, when did u get the email for the interview?? omg u have great stats btw haha

I got the email on Wednesday. Thanks haha. Excited esp after getting 4 pre-interview rejections last year. Where did you apply ??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hydeman
Thanks -- it seems like I'm some sort of expert now. :lol:

UCL has a holistic admissions process and, all things considered, you've got a pretty strong application. People with BMAT scores like yours have received offers before (have a read through this if you have time -- there's no real pattern, as you will notice).

There was a really good video that I watched which was an open day presentation by the admissions tutor for medicine, Dr. Brenda Cross, in which it was mentioned that UCL first screens all applications for minimum requirements, then uses AS grades, the personal statement, reference and, to a lesser extent, GCSE grades, to determine 'priority' for further consideration.

The BMAT scores are then used to determine suitability for interview, giving a final 'priority' to each applicant and going through them in descending order until all 700 interview slots have been exhausted. I wanted to provide a link to this but it seems that it's been taken down because I can't find it anywhere.

In that sense, you'll have a higher priority for further consideration than I would because of your high AS grades and UMS, despite my (slightly) higher BMAT score and comparable GCSEs. Don't worry too much; worrying won't affect the outcome at all so it's best not to do it and just check your emails regularly. :smile:

Okay, this definitely makes me feel a lot better about my application. Still not expecting anything but if I get a late interview it'd be amazing!
Hey guys I did the BMAT but I forget what the medical essay question was for section 3? Anyone remember what it was?

Thanks in advance
Something about doctors have to have the interests of society when treating individual patients, or something to that effect.
Original post by masryman97
Okay, this definitely makes me feel a lot better about my application. Still not expecting anything but if I get a late interview it'd be amazing!

Don't worry too much about this. You sound like your in the same position as a friend of mine who applied to UCL 3 years ago. Completely flopped the BMAT (big time) and with a similar academic profile to you. Ended up getting the interview and offer, but in the end chose Cambridge. There's certainly no reason to despair.
Original post by Funky_Giraffe
Don't worry too much about this. You sound like your in the same position as a friend of mine who applied to UCL 3 years ago. Completely flopped the BMAT (big time) and with a similar academic profile to you. Ended up getting the interview and offer, but in the end chose Cambridge. There's certainly no reason to despair.

He/she got into Cambridge after flopping the BMAT? :lolwut: The UMS average and interview performance must have been through the roof. :lol:
Hi all,

Royally screwed BMAT (4.5, 4.5, 2A), 7A*3A GCSE, A* A-level biology Y11, AAAC at AS with 90% in chemistry and maths.

Any chance of an interview later in the cycle, or do you think I'm on the scrapheap already?
Original post by Cadherin
Hi all,

Royally screwed BMAT (4.5, 4.5, 2A), 7A*3A GCSE, A* A-level biology Y11, AAAC at AS with 90% in chemistry and maths.

You royally screwed section 3 of the BMAT, not the whole thing. UCL's average applicant this year had something like 4.7, 4.6, 3A. In any case, assessment is holistic and the BMAT has little effect in the grand scheme of things, as the lack of a pattern in this document should show.

Any chance of an interview later in the cycle, or do you think I'm on the scrapheap already?

You have a chance but that's all anybody can say. UCL has very unpredictable admissions outcomes -- if you read the later pages on previous years' applicant threads, you'd see a raft of people with similar stats getting both accepted and rejected, for no discernible reason (which, I suppose, means that they care more about the personal statement and reference than one might imagine).

Just relax and wait to hear back from them. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 270
I've been invited to interview at UCL on the 26th of January. I'm trying to access the UCL applicant portal to confirm the interview, but I don't know how to use it. I only see 'my money' and logout in Sections. I was told to select MBBS and that I would see an invitations link, but I can't find my MBBS application...
Original post by JYR-X
I've been invited to interview at UCL on the 26th of January. I'm trying to access the UCL applicant portal to confirm the interview, but I don't know how to use it. I only see 'my money' and logout in Sections. I was told to select MBBS and that I would see an invitations link, but I can't find my MBBS application...

From the homepage (the page you get redirected to after you sign in), click the tab on top that says "invitations" and you'll see your invitation there under "Event name" in a table, then click the invitation link and click accept/decline.
Got a UCL rejection today, and the letter said it was due to my below average BMAT scores... I don't understand how this could be when they said they don't reject based on BMAT scores alone? Tbh I was expecting it because I got 3.7, 4.5 and 2.5B (got a results enquiry, haven't gotten it back) but it's still pretty devastating
Original post by sorfinaghazali
Got a UCL rejection today, and the letter said it was due to my below average BMAT scores... I don't understand how this could be when they said they don't reject based on BMAT scores alone? Tbh I was expecting it because I got 3.7, 4.5 and 2.5B (got a results enquiry, haven't gotten it back) but it's still pretty devastating

Sorry to hear this. I think the point is that they don't reject on BMAT alone, but your BMAT score still has like 1/3 (or greater) weighting in their "hollistic approach", so it will still come into it with your personal statement and grades.

Sorry to hear this, did it come as a physical letter?! or just email?
Original post by masryman97
Sorry to hear this, did it come as a physical letter?! or just email?

I got an email that said my UCAS Track got updated, and the rejection came attached with a letter
Original post by Funky_Giraffe
Sorry to hear this. I think the point is that they don't reject on BMAT alone, but your BMAT score still has like 1/3 (or greater) weighting in their "hollistic approach", so it will still come into it with your personal statement and grades.

I suppose so... ah well everything happens for a reason (hopefully!)

I am so sorry to hear this, hopefully yr other applications go well, will the rejection still stand even if the enquiry bumps up your score?
Original post by blxckatoro
I am so sorry to hear this, hopefully yr other applications go well, will the rejection still stand even if the enquiry bumps up your score?

Emailed them about this and they said all decisions were final :frown:
Emailed them about this and they said all decisions were final :frown:

Bummer :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending