The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mastermind`
It's not a case of not liking Arsenal. It was a soft penalty, I thought it wasn't a penalty at first but Rosicky's hands are over the guy's back. It's the kind of thing one referee gives a penalty for, another doesn't. A defender has to be careful there.

Yeah I'm sure United regularly get penalties for similar, I mean Berbatov just fell over on his accord against Liverpool and got a penalty and the penalty United got against us was beyond laughable, but for most other clubs that is never ever a penalty.
Original post by Ar5enal Fan
Yeah I'm sure United regularly get penalties for similar, I mean Berbatov just fell over on his accord against Liverpool and got a penalty and the penalty United got against us was beyond laughable, but for most other clubs that is never ever a penalty.

What was laughable about the penalty United got against Arsenal? Clichy handled in the area. As I've said, sometimes those are given, sometimes those aren't, but Rosicky was pushing the limits. But, yeah, maybe it is just part of this 'witch hunt' against Arsenal.
Reply 3222
Original post by Louis.
Deliberate handball is a yellow card isn't it?

Is it? I dunno but that looked a certain red to me - professional foul no?
Eat up:

Spoiler

And never WUM before a game is over.

Did I hit close to home with my comment? Oh, have some of your own crumble. Regardless of how it happened, we got a point.. you got none against the worst team in the league and they actually deserved the win.

Reply 3224
It's not a case of not liking Arsenal. It was a soft penalty, I thought it wasn't a penalty at first but Rosicky's hands are over the guy's back. It's the kind of thing one referee gives a penalty for, another doesn't. A defender has to be careful there.

You're kidding yourself mate, no way it was ever a penalty. And it's not just arsenal saying it, look at the Lawro's reaction on MOTD.
Original post by jk1986
You're kidding yourself mate, no way it was ever a penalty. And it's not just arsenal saying it, look at the Lawro's reaction on MOTD.

Commentators on my stream thought it was a penalty too. As I said, it's dangerous territory, sometimes you see them given, sometimes you don't.

Original post by TheLouisVuittonDon
x

Weak. Try harder next time. x0
Reply 3226
Original post by jk1986
Is it? I dunno but that looked a certain red to me - professional foul no?

Yes. There's no way deliberate handball is a straight red, the only time i've seen them given is keeper's outside of their area and Suarez style ones. Would have been incredibly inconsistent to send him off for that, my understanding of a professional foul is denying a goalscoring opportunity and that didn't happen.
What was laughable about the penalty United got against Arsenal? Clichy handled in the area. As I've said, sometimes those are given, sometimes those aren't, but Rosicky was pushing the limits. But, yeah, maybe it is just part of this 'witch hunt' against Arsenal.

These penalties are not sometimes given, they're not even fouls ffs. What limits was Rosicky pushing? Is everytime a defender touches someone on the back in the box meant to be given as a penalty? Are undeliberate handballs where the player can do nothing about it meant to be given as penalties? No, in neither case they are and you will very very rarely, if ever see them given, not sometimes. The refereeing standards in this country are truely abysmal and what's even worse is that no player or manager can say a thing about it and also there's no moderation of referees to see whether they are actually doing a good enough job.
Reply 3228
Original post by Louis.
Yes. There's no way deliberate handball is a straight red, the only time i've seen them given is keeper's outside of their area and Suarez style ones. Would have been incredibly inconsistent to send him off for that, my understanding of a professional foul is denying a goalscoring opportunity and that didn't happen.

Scholes got a red for it in the Super Cup?
Reply 3229
Original post by Deshi
Scholes got a red for it in the Super Cup?

Was a second yellow iirc. Made it even more moronic that time, especially when it's not exactly subtle.
Nolan's headlock is a red all day long.

Dowd bottled it, and didn't want to stifle the comeback. You'd be right to book Chez, but Nolan headlock is violent conduct. Ridiculous.
These penalties are not sometimes given, they're not even fouls ffs. What limits was Rosicky pushing? Is everytime a defender touches someone on the back in the box meant to be given as a penalty? Are undeliberate handballs where the player can do nothing about it meant to be given as penalties? No, in neither case they are and you will very very rarely, if ever see them given, not sometimes. The refereeing standards in this country are truely abysmal and what's even worse is that no player or manager can say a thing about it and also there's no moderation of referees to see whether they are actually doing a good enough job.

Yes they are. I saw Rosicky's hands on Best's back and he wasn't even looking at the ball. How strong was the contact? I don't know. Clichy was denying Nani a goalscoring opportunity, seen them given. My only qualm with these penalties is the consistency - some referees give them, some don't.

The referee today (Phil Dowd) did a good enough job, even if we disagree about the second penalty he got the rest of the decisions right, yet there are masses out there saying how **** he is.
Yes they are. I saw Rosicky's hands on Best's back and he wasn't even looking at the ball. How strong was the contact? I don't know. Clichy was denying Nani a goalscoring opportunity, seen them given. My only qualm with these penalties is the consistency - some referees give them, some don't.

The referee today (Phil Dowd) did a good enough job, even if we disagree about the second penalty he got the rest of the decisions right, yet there are masses out there saying how **** he is.

I can tell you didn't watch the game by your last comment. And Rosicky did not push at all, and as such there was no foul and no penalty. Clichy didn't deny anything, you can't have your arm on the floor and someone kicks a ball into it and it's a penalty, especially as there were players covering. Maybe if the ball was headed on it's way to goal and that incident happened then it would be a penalty, but there is no justification at all for such a decision other than it's United at Old Trafford so the customary penalty has to be given.

Anyway moving on from yet another pathetic refereeing performance, Wenger needs to address the defence. Squillaci is basically the new Cygan and once Diaby went off, there was no one holding the midfield and because of that even average players like Barton and Nolan were able to dominate. Wenger definitely made the wrong subs as well, bringing Rosicky and Eboue on were terrible decisions, and without Walcott and Arshavin we had no outlets. We just sunk further back and allowed more pressure. United have helped us massively though, if they had won we would've been very low on confidence, as such we can take it as a point gained on United. Hopefully a good performance against Wolves will help boost confidence before the Barca game.
Anyone see scholes try to slam dunk the football =\
Reply 3234

The only decision that wasn't debatable was the clearly onside Best goal, if the linesman got that right Arsenal would have been going home with nothing.
Original post by mau5
The only decision that wasn't debatable was the clearly onside Best goal, if the linesman got that right Arsenal would have been going home with nothing.

That was a pitiful attempt to WUM.
Reply 3236
That was a pitiful attempt to WUM.

The Best goal was clearly onside and it wasn't giving, all the other decisions you can make arguements for why they were even if they were soft.
Reply 3237
I laugh at all the users who ridiculed me as a soft and plastic supporter when I explained how Wenger's reign is getting us nowhere.

Where are those guys now. Only marcusmerehay is left, where are the other Wenger lovers who bashed me?

Lol, soft phaggots. They'll only come here when Arsenal wins, I'm here after every ****ing game.
Reply 3238
Having watched Bartons challenge again, it was hard but fair. It was the same tackle that broke Ben Arfas leg by De Jong and even with an appeal the FA took no action so it was fair.
Reply 3239
The effects of that result have been hugely alleviated by the United result. Phew.

Overmars
I am a mystic prophet

I was going to comment at half time that I can't remember you being so spectacularly wrong with a prediction. :colonhash:

Latest