The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I used to think Djourou was utter ****, but now he's stepped up his game. Should be starting with Vermaelen.
Reply 3361
JK.
OP
I think once they're both fit (if that will ever happen :colonhash:), they'll be the preferred two. :yy:
Original post by Colonel.
I used to think Djourou was utter ****, but now he's stepped up his game. Should be starting with Vermaelen.

i love your sig
Original post by zxh800
What do you guys think of Djourou? 26 games unbeaten in defense.

IMO, he's an absolute beast.

I was literally about to post that stat, does someone follow OptaJoe on Twitter? :wink:

Impressive nonetheless, I've personally always rated him - wanted him to start ahead of Senderos while he played.

We've got another impressive (Swiss) CB/RB coming through the youth setup in Sead Hajrovic - he's only 17 but got given the captain's armband for the Reserves against Chelsea after Miquel was taken off injured. Looks promising.

EDIT: Only bruising? Wenger must have been precautionary about him then, which means he'll probably partner Koscielny against Barcelona and then be rested against Leyton Orient.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by zxh800
What do you guys think of Djourou?

Talented crock.

If only we had more of them at Arsenal...
Djourou and Vermaelen would be a formidable partnership. Especially with Song in defensive midfield, Sagna at right back and Szczesny in goal. I don't think we'd concede many at all if we had them all fit, Djourou seems to be doing better now fitness wise and hopefully once Vermaelen's achilles problems go that will be the end of the injury problems. Even Clichy has looked better recently, although his defending was pretty awful for Newcastle's 2nd goal.
Reply 3367
Original post by Ar5enal Fan
Djourou and Vermaelen would be a formidable partnership. Especially with Song in defensive midfield, Sagna at right back and Szczesny in goal. I don't think we'd concede many at all if we had them all fit, Djourou seems to be doing better now fitness wise and hopefully once Vermaelen's achilles problems go that will be the end of the injury problems. Even Clichy has looked better recently, although his defending was pretty awful for Newcastle's 2nd goal.

Will Vermaelen be back for that good ?.
Definitely sounds strong enough.
Please Djourou, get fit in time for Barcelona :crossedf:
Wilshire is very good defensively, I'll give him that. I could see him being a solution to our CB problems.
Reply 3370
Original post by Concern'd Viewer
Wilshire is very good defensively, I'll give him that. I could see him being a solution to our CB problems.

Still needs improvement, look at what happened when he tackled Zigic.
Kid managed to get his first red :frown:
Reply 3371

Wenger however, thinks he is a better player going forward then defensively but I reckon he can be a impressive overall midfielder in the future :wink:
Reply 3372
Original post by zxh800
What do you guys think of Djourou? 26 games unbeaten in defense.

IMO, he's an absolute beast.

I said he was decent ages ago whilst all you lot bemoaned him.

I hate how now if we are 4-0 up I won't feel confident :frown:
Reply 3373
Original post by GunnerMT
I said he was decent ages ago whilst all you lot bemoaned him.

I hate how now if we are 4-0 up I won't feel confident without Djourou:frown:

Corrected :smile:
Djourou has been superb, as good as anyone this season. It's crucial that he isn't out long term, not only because of his individual contribution but for the quality he brings out in Koscielny. Squillaci has been abysmal and turns the rest of the defence into a mess. Never would we have given up our lead if Djourou hadn't gone off injured at the weekend, with or without Diaby (it was actually Squillaci's fault Diaby got sent off). I'm hoping the latest rumours that it's just bruising are true, losing him would be on a par with losing Cesc for me, just need him to hold out till TV gets back to full fitness though realistically Djourou has performed better this season than TV did last and would be my 1st choice if all fit right now
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3375
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/9391606.stm

Djourou hopes to play against Wolves this Saturday...
Original post by Louis.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/9391606.stm

Djourou hopes to play against Wolves this Saturday...

Yes well allegedly he's said “I’m ok, should be ok for Saturday if everything goes well'' which is pleasing but yesterday he was allegedly out for at least a month and possibly the season. I'm waiting for Arsenal.com to confirm things
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3377
If he is a doubt for the weekend match, Wenger might not play him at all (fully rested) and throw him in against Barca.
Reply 3378
:rolleyes:

Excuse me if I think that he's only an OK central midfielder.

There's a significant difference in what 'mediocre' and 'OK' connote. :rolleyes:

And if you're not trolling:

i) Who do you think should have been played instead?
ii) Justify your claim - why do you think he's 'mediocre'?
Reply 3379
Barcelona are more than a club - they're also a science institution. Apparently, they've made the latest medical breakthrough by discovering that DNA actually stops affecting individuals when they have enough midfielders in their squad. :dunce:

(Wouldn't get my hopes up of Cesc staying, but still.)

And apparently, it's the Switzlerlend medical team who said that Djourou should be fine in a week. Still nothing on arsenal.com. :dontknow:

Latest