The Student Room Group

How to comfort people who've been rejected from unis? :S

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chelle-belle
It doesn't have to be expensive at all o.O

Fees went up from £3k to £9 per year yesterday, as of next year's applications.

If you choose to go to university, you'll pay £9k for 3 years tuition.

Take a gap year, you'll end up paying £27k.
Original post by Bakes0011
Fees went up from £3k to £9 per year yesterday, as of next year's applications.

If you choose to go to university, you'll pay £9k for 3 years tuition.

Take a gap year, you'll end up paying £27k.

Well... Yes. But two points:
Your argument is
1. Only relevant for this year (not future applicants - which the thread can still relate to)
2. Talking about going to university after your gap year, not the expense of actually taking a gap year (what if you worked during your gap year, which subsequently contributed to higher future earnings after university? Or what if it somehow meant lower amounts of debt? Does this still count as expensive?)

Gap years don't have to be expensive. University can be expensive.
Rinse your hands of these deadweights and announce that you are off to spend some time with your more proactive, successful colleagues.
I have had a bad experience with getting an offer! It sucks how jealous some people can get. Not my fault that I got an offer from a good uni (IMO) if she didn't bother applying there. If that happens to you, just tell them to stick their opinion where the sun doesn't shine and they will spend the rest of their lives stacking shelves in Tesco (the conversation got a tiny bit bitchy :biggrin:)

In terms of rejections, the best you can do is tell them the uni sucks (unless you have applied there yourself), the admissions tutor is a douche and that they were better off without said institution. Although with Oxbridge rejections, you can only say 1/3 of above options, since they don't suck and everyone would be better off with a degree from either place.
Original post by NeonKnight
No, they CAN charge up to £9k now, the vast majority of courses won't cost that much. If they want to go above £6k they have to be able to justify it to the government why.

Let me be perfectly clear, I'm in no way in support of the raising of tuition fees, I think it's a step in entirely the wrong direction. But it's starting to get slightly annoying how the only thing anyone can say is "£9000".

Universities COULD charge up to £3k. Labour thought only a few universities would charge that much, but nearly all do. I wouldn't be surprised if the vast majority of unis charged £9k, especially since funding will be dropped (per student) by more than that, afair.

Chelle-belle
Well... Yes. But two points:
Your argument is
1. Only relevant for this year (not future applicants - which the thread can still relate to)
2. Talking about going to university after your gap year, not the expense of actually taking a gap year (what if you worked during your gap year, which subsequently contributed to higher future earnings after university? Or what if it somehow meant lower amounts of debt? Does this still count as expensive?)

Gap years don't have to be expensive. University can be expensive.

This thread is clearly talking about this year - you wouldn't plan comforting in advance, would you?
I told my cousin he'd never really met the requirements anyway. He smiled and said that was helpful ... but he's a very 'special' person, I wouldn't take my advice.
Universities COULD charge up to £3k. Labour thought only a few universities would charge that much, but nearly all do. I wouldn't be surprised if the vast majority of unis charged £9k, especially since funding will be dropped (per student) by more than that, afair.

But there were no restrictions on it. Here, unis have to do things like widen access and give out higher bursaries if they want to charge more than £6k per annum.
At least it's not.. over 9000 :colone: .
Reply 28
please do NOT tell anybody that its the university that has lost out. I seriously doubt anyone will be comforted by that or take it seriously you will just seem patronising and insincere. I don't know what I would do in this situation other than try and think of positives of other options they have. If they have offers from other universities say good things about them if they don't highlight good things about having a gap year to figure out what to do next. I would also perhaps try to encourage them to talk to someone who would be more useful than me.
Probably "**** son" and give them a hug.

I'm incredibly awful at sympathy :emo:
Are international students affected by the fee increments?

This thread is clearly talking about this year - you wouldn't plan comforting in advance, would you?

This thread is talking about people who didn't get offers from uni.
Reply 32
That's total b*ll*cks. Some courses have 100 applicants for every place, all within the small narrow top range of brilliance. It's as much luck as anything else, because 80% of them were good enough and to spare
Original post by BatOri
That's total b*ll*cks. Some courses have 100 applicants for every place, all within the small narrow top range of brilliance. It's as much luck as anything else, because 80% of them were good enough and to spare

This thread is 8 years old...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending