The Student Room Group

What to do now? AS exams?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AngeHiiiPower'
Thank you for your help...I don't think I would want to take a gap year but I'm not completely ruling it out :smile:

Fair enough, I mean medicine isn't the be all and end all, there are plenty of other good uni courses to apply for!
Original post by Sherlockedd
Fair enough, I mean medicine isn't the be all and end all, there are plenty of other good uni courses to apply for!

Yeah I think this is what I'm slowly but surely getting my head around there are many other careers that I'm interested in so fingers crossed i just get onto a course I enjoy :smile:
Original post by AngeHiiiPower'
I think a number of things....i started AS off really well then, one evening in october I stayed up until 2 in the morning doing a Bio write up and I feel like it just went downhill from around that time from being at the top of my classes to crap the bottom :/

I have anaemia which is getting sorted I know it's nothing major...I've had it for 3 years barely taking my tablets...being seriously fatigued and I think with something like anaemia no one really takes it seriously I told my biology teacher about it when discussing my result she didn't really seem to understand I told her I had anaemia and she said that it isn't something that would have affected my grades I then told her I was just really tired and she was like yeah that's it?!! (I was confused at this point) (sorry if this doesn't make much sense)
I feel like I've lost control...but I also procrastinate a lot...usually when something's hard I just have a belief that I won't understand or remember it and so i'd rather do something else I know stupid excuse....I think I'm scared to try and fail anyway
I feel like i did this with my gcses I let my self down I didn't revise hard enough and I got less than I should have...
*also there were many things especially in biology that I just didn't know...I never learnt...I was off on a day to a trip and I never remembered or learnt properly the sequence of things like translation and transcription etc.
with geography I got As and Bs in my mocks so that was a bit of a shock but I didn't revise as much because I thought more should be spent on subjects that I wasn't doing as well in....I've done that before at gcse as well (wont be doing that anymore)

If I retook a year....I would plan better..spend more time in the library and do my homework straight away and of course more past papers

I think the thing is I feel like everyone around me has such a high expectation of me...my teachers tell me that I should have got better than what I did...I think I should have got better but I didn't...I left my revision too late bad habit from previous years :colondollar:

Overall negative thinking :angry: with bits of realism

Sorry if this is rambly or irrelevant :colondollar:

Not rambly at all, I understand exactly where you are at.

Firstly, cut the negative thinking and pressure you are putting on yourself. You need to think long term: if you focus positively on learning from the core principles, have a strict routine by going over stuff you've learnt at school over the weekend, ask for help when you don't understand, go back to teachers when you miss lessons etc - this gives you the solid foundation to do well in exams.

If you think negative/hope your weakest topics don't come up etc then it erodes your confidence. That's the last thing you want.

I had crap AS exams, and post-AS results day 2012 I told myself one thing: I need to confront my fears head on, I can't just hide away from them or hope I'll get lucky in the exam (because A Levels exams always catch out those who blagged their way through the course)

All I can say is, if you do what you can to focus on embracing a strong positive work ethnic, then everything (grades, teachers, exam results, uni etc) will take care of itself.
Original post by Homeboy Hotel
Not rambly at all, I understand exactly where you are at.

Firstly, cut the negative thinking and pressure you are putting on yourself. You need to think long term: if you focus positively on learning from the core principles, have a strict routine by going over stuff you've learnt at school over the weekend, ask for help when you don't understand, go back to teachers when you miss lessons etc - this gives you the solid foundation to do well in exams.

If you think negative/hope your weakest topics don't come up etc then it erodes your confidence. That's the last thing you want.

I had crap AS exams, and post-AS results day 2012 I told myself one thing: I need to confront my fears head on, I can't just hide away from them or hope I'll get lucky in the exam (because A Levels exams always catch out those who blagged their way through the course)

All I can say is, if you do what you can to focus on embracing a strong positive work ethnic, then everything (grades, teachers, exam results, uni etc) will take care of itself.

...yeah I think that's what caught me out in my exams not revising/learning everything properly ...I think I'm going to take your advice and write down and put it on my wall! Positive thinking is something that I always strive and work at but for some reason this school year it's been really hard...thank you for your help I will definitely take it board :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest