x Turn on thread page Beta

work 15+ hours a day [90hr week] AMA watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    well **** the pay must be good...
    not really, not like the glory days of 06'

(Original post by SeanFM)
    Why does IB cost you the best years of your life :hide:
    the best years of my life will be at 35 when i can buy a boat.. my 20's are pretty useless tbh, so may aswell use them as an investment

(Original post by kangsterf)
    Are you a greedy bonus-earning tax-dodging economy-ruining crisis-causing banker?
    no, i'm a uni student.. but that's kinda the goal

(Original post by gr8wizard10)

the best years of my life will be at 35 when i can buy a boat.. my 20's are pretty useless tbh, so may aswell use them as an investment

how much is the pay really? are you going to burn out? how tired are you usually? any tips for surviving on little sleep?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Marshall Taylor)
    Sounds repetitive, don't strain yourself with smiling RSI. I would advise you to mix up your accents to put customers off, I don't work but in public it makes for a good laugh
    tbh i dont know what my accent is anymore, sometimes it's really english, sometimes this asian accent comes out of nowhere...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThinkAndGrowRich)
    The investment banker...I have read some of your posts!

How are you coping with the hours and what are your plans after your investment banking experience?
    Is this your first year as an (I assume) M&A analyst or are you still a student (internship)?
    buy-side funds: private equity / credit fund / secondaries fund

i'm on a summer internship, have done 3 in banking, c.2 in m&a.. should be joining full-time next july

(Original post by Trapz99)
    How many more years do you need to work that long for? And do you support Arsenal like me?
    2-3 years planning to spend in banking, then i'm off to the buy-side and if i can't do that, then try out to be a journalist. i don't watch football, i watch professional call of duty, if anything.. mlg orlando was this weekend

ReputationRep:
    Do you think this is worth it?
    Do you enjoy the work you do a lot?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster

I guess so, long term 'investment' I s'pose. But I dunno man, you don't want to have to start taking medication or something anyway I hope you quickly get past the analyst monkey stages if you are there (wouldn't be surprised if you were further up the ladder already though)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabstercat)
    how much is the pay really? are you going to burn out? how tired are you usually? any tips for surviving on little sleep?
    not alot, street pays c.£50k base (+10-15% bonus) and a £5k sign on for juniour m&a analyst.. (that being said, it progresses rather quickly 3-4 years in you're on 6 figures all in).

most people burn out after their analyst stint, i say i wouldn't but then again.. i don't know what the future holds. i'm already interviewing with some buy-side funds to see if i can skip the 2-3 year banking process

you'd be surprised at how much the human body can take.. i usually average 4-5 hours of sleep a night, and am fully functioning for the day.. when you are idle however, it can seriously kill.. but if you're kept busy that sense of adrenaline and urgency to complete work keeps you up..

most people drink a lot of coffee.. but as above i'd recommend just ensuring you keep busy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biglad2k16)
    Do you think this is worth it?
    Do you enjoy the work you do a lot?
    to anyone who wants a life, i'd say it isn't worth it.. it's a job for a certain type of person i'd say.. ambitious, competitive, hard worker, wants to get ahead, wants to build good business relationships.. sort of the top 1% wannabe type guys who didn't start their own tech company growing at a 5 year 600% CAGR

(Original post by SeanFM)
    I guess so, long term 'investment' I s'pose. But I dunno man, you don't want to have to start taking medication or something anyway I hope you quickly get past the analyst monkey stages if you are there (wouldn't be surprised if you were further up the ladder already though)
    i doubt it'd get to that stage.. and no i'm an SA, i have a year of uni to go

ReputationRep:
    How long till you become an alcoholic with severe depression?

ReputationRep:
    Do you feel that the job is already starting to damage your health?

Ps: Stay healthy bro

ReputationRep:
    what is your morning routine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellodave5)
    How long till you become an alcoholic with severe depression?
    i don't drink alcohol, and i'm fairly happy with my life

(Original post by Yammy)
    Do you feel that the job is already starting to damage your health?

Ps: Stay healthy bro
    no, well.. most people tend to gain weight as we get a generous daily dinner allowance. my metabolism is quite good, and i play sports each weekend (if and when i have the time, depends on work duties)

ReputationRep:
    i don't drink alcohol, and i'm fairly happy with my life

no, well.. most people tend to gain weight as we get a generous daily dinner allowance. my metabolism is quite good, and i play sports each weekend (if and when i have the time, depends on work duties)
    If you're sure...!
    You almost literally live at work...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blyts-_)
    what is your morning routine?
    7:25am: alarm goes off, get up have a shower get dressed
    8:00am: go to work, check work emails on phone, read ft to see latest deal activity etc..
    8:30am: arrive at office, send an update to team of anything interesting i've seen and check materials/model formulas from yday
    9:30am: [every day is different] depending on deadlines, generally go out/canteen to grab breakfast
    9:45am: arrive back at my desk, carry on working and setting up any meetings etc.. for the day

from then on it gets blurry, because no day has been the same yet.

ReputationRep:
    What do IBs contribute to society?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    not alot, street pays c.£50k base (+10-15% bonus) and a £5k sign on for juniour m&a analyst.. (that being said, it progresses rather quickly 3-4 years in you're on 6 figures all in).

most people burn out after their analyst stint, i say i wouldn't but then again.. i don't know what the future holds. i'm already interviewing with some buy-side funds to see if i can skip the 2-3 year banking process

you'd be surprised at how much the human body can take.. i usually average 4-5 hours of sleep a night, and am fully functioning for the day.. when you are idle however, it can seriously kill.. but if you're kept busy that sense of adrenaline and urgency to complete work keeps you up..

most people drink a lot of coffee.. but as above i'd recommend just ensuring you keep busy
    You're already interviewing with funds? How did you manage that? Would you enter them straight after you graduate?
    to anyone who wants a life, i'd say it isn't worth it.. it's a job for a certain type of person i'd say.. ambitious, competitive, hard worker, wants to get ahead, wants to build good business relationships.. sort of the top 1% wannabe type guys who didn't start their own tech company growing at a 5 year 600% CAGR

i doubt it'd get to that stage.. and no i'm an SA, i have a year of uni to go
    Thanks for answering!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They help companies raise capital. That helps the economy a LOT

ReputationRep:
    buy-side funds: private equity / credit fund / secondaries fund

i'm on a summer internship, have done 3 in banking, c.2 in m&a.. should be joining full-time next july

2-3 years planning to spend in banking, then i'm off to the buy-side and if i can't do that, then try out to be a journalist. i don't watch football, i watch professional call of duty, if anything.. mlg orlando was this weekend
    Thanks for your answer! But how do you have time to watch it after all the hours you work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    we provide an intemediary service between the users of capital [corporates/governments etc..] and the deployers of capital [pension funds/asset managers etc..].. on a very simple level our core business model is to help raise capital so organisations can continue to do what they do or expand etc.. and in return those who deploy that capital get a return. we essentially make the market and keep the process efficient whilst being the hub of information for all parties involved,

my team specifically we help advise companies in mergers & acquisitions. so we advise large organisations who want to divest parts of their businesses or sell their whole company, and help companies buy out other businesses via various means. so essentially we help make deals happen and get paid a fee for doing so.

(Original post by biglad2k16)
    You're already interviewing with funds? How did you manage that? Would you enter them straight after you graduate?

Thanks for answering!
    headhunters mostly, and given i have a bit of deal exp and technical aptitude, i can pass the more rigorous test proceses which comes in useful to land some interviews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    Thanks for your answer! But how do you have time to watch it after all the hours you work?
    i watch it on the weekend, or on my cab journey home if i'm not falling asleep

you still have time to do other things, not as much as most people.. but if you're efficient with your time you can do a lot in a short amount. you learn to value time as it becomes your biggest asset.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 6, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.