The Student Room Group

AS and A level choices ):

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by iamlynchy
I'm choosing Chemistry, Biology, French and Spanish and I can't wait to start!
I've been informed by all my teachers that it's a peculiar combination within my school as no one else has identical choices to me out of over one hundred and sixty people! Due to this I'm hoping that they'll all be manageable

Good luck!! Just a word of caution, biology is a fascinating subject but I found I needed to do at least two hours per day before the revision period to stay on top of my workload... Maybe that's just my school being freaky about deliberately working their students into the ground :P but seriously, I only mention this because my bezzie did German Spanish bio and chem and she really struggled. Made me feel awful cuz she's the brightest person I know :frown: I hope it all works out for you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="Troytheboy;48594785"]I'm doing sociology and Psychology, any tips for as:-D

Original post by saibhandari
I did Chemistry, Sociology, Religious Studies and Economics this year.

Chemistry was pretty fun, but definitely the most challenging (in a good way).
Sociology was easy, fun and useful for the course that I attend to apply to at uni (either HSPS at Cambridge or Anthropology at another uni).
RS was also easy and useful.
Economics was boring and pretty easy; I wish I had taken something more challenging like Maths.

Any tips for rs at As level please?:-D

Hmm tips for AS - erm, make sure that you keep on top of your work and do your best to learn the studies. They can be very heavy subjects so ensure that you take regular breaks and try to maintain your focus at all times. Make sure you ask your teachers for help - it's what they are there for :smile: Psychology - I'd say learn studies and make sure that you cover as much as possible - because unlike Sociology, there a lot of small questions - meaning that you get questions on almost every topic. In some ways, that makes it easier; because it means that if you don't learn something you have other topics to fall back on; however, it does mean that you have a lot to learn. Whereas, sociology can be frustrating because you learn so much for one of two topics to come up in the exam. But, I'd say that with sociology, make sure you learn the studies that cross over between topics; for example, Paul Willis - he did a study which found that working-class boys aspired to have working-class jobs because they expected failure; therefore, they did not work as hard as they could/should have. This study is in both social class (culture & identity) & education - therefore, it is one of the main studies that you should try to remember.
For both Psychology & Sociology - you don't necessarily have to learn exactly what the studies involved; just the conclusions - make sure that you widen your knowledge a lot so that if you can't remeber the info, you can apply something else to the question. Meaning that you get some marks, as opposed to no marks.
Also, try to read around the subject; read psychological and sociological articles - studies etc... they will help & encourage you to broaden your knowledge & potentially capture your interests for the future. SimplyPsychology is a good one and BPS or Psychology Today - it may sound boring; but, you will pick things up & it should help you.
So make sure you learn studies & use a variety of revision resources - e.g. mind maps, rhymes, songs, Q cards; whatever works for you - highlighters whatever :smile:
Perspectives for Sociology are also very important to learn.
Good luck - if you have any other questions, feel free to ask :smile: you can always email me - just message me for my email address.
In my opinion, thats fairly balanced which is great :smile:, Two academic subjects loved by universites and two average is a good balance. If you want to go to university that will be great if you had French, (Eco/Art) and Maths seeming unis require 3 A levels. (If you do drop one topic after AS I would recommend dropping art for the fact universities turn their noses up at Art) But if you dont want to drop Art I am completely for you! I think Art requires so much time everyday and it isn't just "drawing" it requires skill, blood, sweat and tears!:tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest