The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature GCSE 2015 JUNE SUMMER *OFFICIAL THREAD* OMAM AIC

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dawideksoltysik
But aren't these only going to come up on the foundation paper?

I'm doing the higher paper and this is what my teacher said... He said that they'd already asked every poem apart from these two ansister Maude which only recently came on the specification as a poem they could name
Could someone give me some advice for the theme of loneliness and dreams in of mice and men, I'd really appreciate it, thanks you!!
Reply 42
Original post by dawideksoltysik
Sorry, I wasn't meant to come across this way. I indeed correct myself but there is no need to be this level of rude. Maybe the way I phrased myself could have come a bit rude to you and I am sincerely sorry but there is no need to say that I am trying to 'accomplish my stupidity', because I am not.

I am also sorry for being rude... Are you sitting the exam this June?
SO does any one predict what character might come this year. I think it's either Curley or candy as they are the only 2 major character which has never come up. I might be wrong. What are your predictions?
Reply 44
Original post by GCSE student 1
I'm doing the higher paper and this is what my teacher said... He said that they'd already asked every poem apart from these two ansister Maude which only recently came on the specification as a poem they could name

kk.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Rockyboy
SO does any one predict what character might come this year. I think it's either Curley or candy as they are the only 2 major character which has never come up. I might be wrong. What are your predictions?

Candy has come up. Not sure about Crooks.
Im also doing conflict and OMAM and AIC. Can anyone give me tips on the best way to revise? Thanks.
Thank you very much, I think you're right actually! So what are your predictions for the higher paper then?
Reply 48
Original post by GCSE student 1
Thank you very much, I think you're right actually! So what are your predictions for the higher paper then?

My prediction is 'To His Coy Mistress' for the higher tier poetry paper
Original post by ozmo19
My prediction is 'To His Coy Mistress' for the higher tier poetry paper

Great, thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it!
Reply 50
Someone please give me a grade for this.
Btw it's edexcel.

Explore how the language in the extract influences your view on Curley? ( 16 marks)

Steinbeck initially presents Curley as am aggressive and harsh character within the ranch. The verb "lashed" conveys that he is vigorous and cruel which shows that he is an oppressor in the novella. Almost immediately after meeting George and lennie he had tried to intimdate them which potrays to the audience that he wants to gain authority within the ranch. It also implies that he is insecure of his built and picks on people bigger than him so that he can cover that insecurity. This also foreshadows that he will soon bring inconvenience and difficulty to George and Lennie later on in the Novella. Also, he is "calculating and pugnacious" emphasises that he is very scheming, judging and someone and who likes to pick fights which further foreshadows the fight between him and lennie later on in the Novella.

Sorry, I know this is an AQA forum bit I'm new to TSR, I can't find any edexcel forums and I desperately want to know what grade this would be?
If anyone would be kind enough to help me it would be a big help.
Original post by abz129
Someone please give me a grade for this.
Btw it's edexcel.

Explore how the language in the extract influences your view on Curley? ( 16 marks)

Steinbeck initially presents Curley as am aggressive and harsh character within the ranch. The verb "lashed" conveys that he is vigorous and cruel which shows that he is an oppressor in the novella. Almost immediately after meeting George and lennie he had tried to intimdate them which potrays to the audience that he wants to gain authority within the ranch. It also implies that he is insecure of his built and picks on people bigger than him so that he can cover that insecurity. This also foreshadows that he will soon bring inconvenience and difficulty to George and Lennie later on in the Novella. Also, he is "calculating and pugnacious" emphasises that he is very scheming, judging and someone and who likes to pick fights which further foreshadows the fight between him and lennie later on in the Novella.

Sorry, I know this is an AQA forum bit I'm new to TSR, I can't find any edexcel forums and I desperately want to know what grade this would be?
If anyone would be kind enough to help me it would be a big help.

I'm not too sure with the Edexcel marking criteria specifically, but I'm sure the requirements for the top band will be the same.

You have analytical skill and ability in your piece. I like how you pick out words and talk about their significance. Sometimes, you are a bit general, saying that he tried to intimidate George and Lennie, but I think you would need to clarify how this sense of intimidation is conveyed.

A very simple misunderstanding of the form has been made, saying that this is directed to an audience - in fact, it's to readers, as this is not a play - so be careful there.

You need to try to make more reference to Steinbeck in your extract - why has Steinbeck made these choices? Try to use phrases like, 'Steinbeck uses...','Steinbeck wanted to convey a sense of...' and so on, to show you have an awareness of the writer's craft.

I think some sharper analysis and evaluation, as well as an improvement of clarity, will be able to lift this Grade A piece up to an A*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
Thank you :smile: I'll work on those
Original post by champ_mc99
Candy has come up. Not sure about Crooks.

Crooks has come up before.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Rockyboy

Candy has come up, but literally in like 2010.So he is likely to come up. Curely is likely too. I'm almost definate it won't be George or Lennie as they have come up twice now. I'm hoping its Curley or Candy. They might not use a character though and use a setting, the brush/opening and ending scenes haven't been used yet...
Curley's wife's barn scene is also a possibility. The second question could link to dreams, which haven't appeared, I don't think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kingaaran
Curley's wife's barn scene is also a possibility. The second question could link to dreams, which haven't appeared, I don't think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

So it could be Curleys wife barn scene, with dreams as the second question as dreams link to her. But she did come up fairly recently :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ilovesophialucia
So it could be Curleys wife barn scene, with dreams as the second question as dreams link to her. But she did come up fairly recently :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

June 2012 - not too recently.

I think that they could repeat scenes and characters most definitely. For example, in my exam last year, they had repeated a question for the sunlight on the grass anthology that had come up the year before!

If power was to appear, the boss or Curley could appear. Perhaps the scene in which Curley's wife acts in a pejorative manner to Crooks could also appear, as the second part of the question could easily link to social divides or the theme of violence.

Loneliness has (surprisingly) not appeared, if I remember correctly, so key extracts that reinforce the theme of loneliness could easily appear - such as the barn scene, where Curley's wife says "I get awful lonely" etc..

Posted from TSR Mobile
June 2012 - not too recently.

I think that they could repeat scenes and characters most definitely. For example, in my exam last year, they had repeated a question for the sunlight on the grass anthology that had come up the year before!

If power was to appear, the boss or Curley could appear. Perhaps the scene in which Curley's wife acts in a pejorative manner to Crooks could also appear, as the second part of the question could easily link to social divides or the theme of violence.

Loneliness has (surprisingly) not appeared, if I remember correctly, so key extracts that reinforce the theme of loneliness could easily appear - such as the barn scene, where Curley's wife says "I get awful lonely" etc..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Gosh I didn't realise Loneliness hasn't come up yet, there are so many things it could be that it makes it almost impossible to predict. I'm almost certain it won't be George and Lennie though as they came up last year and in 2011 and have been the only characters to come up twice. But I highly doubt that they would use the same extract in part A twice. I'm hoping for Candy or Curley and their description as it is a lot easier to analyse description than speech and interactions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, you seem to know loads on OMOM, so would it be possible for you to help me with the theme of dreams, with a particular emphasis on Curley's Wife? Thank you very much :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending