The Student Room Group

I work at McDonald's. AMA.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by homeland.lsw
Canada has lobster burgers, Hong Kong has spiral pasta with chicken on top, Australian mcdonalds serve their food on wooden boards instead of trays.

Do you think British Mcdonalds can improve in anything?

Can they improve? Yes.
Will they? I very much doubt it.

They seem to recycle promotions quite a lot.
The Big Tasty is one, for example.

Fair enough, customers enjoy it so as a business if customers like it and it's bringing in money, it wouldn't make sense to not bring it back.

Every 6 weeks the promotion changes. I give it to them that they are trying to gain customer retention through varying their menus, but I never feel as though it's actually anything really out of the ordinary or anything that's particularly memorable.

As I've mentioned before, the location of the McDonald's will affect the products served and the presentation, influenced by local cuisine or culture etc, but because of that, I don't think you'll see the UK doing much like that.
Original post by JaredzzC
Can they improve? Yes.
Will they? I very much doubt it.

They seem to recycle promotions quite a lot.
The Big Tasty is one, for example.

Fair enough, customers enjoy it so as a business if customers like it and it's bringing in money, it wouldn't make sense to not bring it back.

Every 6 weeks the promotion changes. I give it to them that they are trying to gain customer retention through varying their menus, but I never feel as though it's actually anything really out of the ordinary or anything that's particularly memorable.

As I've mentioned before, the location of the McDonald's will affect the products served and the presentation, influenced by local cuisine or culture etc, but because of that, I don't think you'll see the UK doing much like that.

this is actually really interesting to read. Mcdonalds is such a global business so it's cool to have someone on here talking about it.

finally, as an insider, is there anything you would recommend me NOT getting. for whatever reason? i was always wary of the fish in the filet o' fish but anything else?
Reply 42
Original post by undercxver
Do they fry the chips in the same oil as the chicken? :curious:

Never!

This is identified as "cross-contamination".

We try our best to provide for the different dietary requirements of our customers, so because of this, chicken products and fries aren't cooked in the same oil.

They have different VATS (unit holding the oil to cook a product) for different products.

It's possible to cook Apple Pies in the same oil as the Fries because they're both products suitable for a vegetarian.

We also have different coloured tongs for different items (veggie, fish, chicken etc) so that when we are handling food, we don't cross-contaminate.
(edited 7 years ago)
So you eat in McDonald's then?
Reply 44
Original post by ColossalAtom
What are you doing with your money? Saving for uni?

At the moment, yes : )

I do have the occasional impulse purchases and tend to go on a takeaway spree, or treat myself, but I aim to save a certain amount of every paycheck so that it will make life easier for me at uni, and teach me more about independence.

We get paid every fortnight instead of every month, so I need to be careful because it always feels like I can spend whatever I like because I only have to wait 2 more weeks before I receive more money.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 45
All the time :biggrin:

On our breaks we get a free meal (not allowed everything on the menu, only certain items).

Even if I'm not hungry, I'll still take a meal and have it just for the sake that it's free.
Can't sorry ;( We aren't even allowed discounts on all of our products.
We get a discount card which entitles us to discounts on meals.

If you have a friend that works in McDonald's then they are allowed to provide themselves and one other person with them a discount :smile: Don't have to work there to get the discount.

If we want to buy separate items that aren't part of a meal (McFlurry, Cheeseburger etc) there is no discount for that.

When I worked at McDonald's, I gave away free food to my friends all the time. It was gr8
Reply 47
Original post by homeland.lsw
this is actually really interesting to read. Mcdonalds is such a global business so it's cool to have someone on here talking about it.

finally, as an insider, is there anything you would recommend me NOT getting. for whatever reason? i was always wary of the fish in the filet o' fish but anything else?

What about the fish in the filet? It's Hoki.

Eh, the Apple Pies?

I genuinely love apple pies, but these tend to have quite a strong taste of cinnamon in them.

Box of 6 nuggets.
We charge £3.09 for a box of 6 nuggets which I feel is extortionate. From a business perspective, it's good money and a good margin, but I always feel bad when people order that so I offer alternative suggestions so that they can get more for their money.
Reply 48
Original post by cherryred90s
When I worked at McDonald's, I gave away free food to my friends all the time. It was gr8

That's gross misconduct. I'm sure it was great for your friends, but if you get caught...

I'm not gonna play the innocent employee here though ; )
You can take a guess why.
All the time :biggrin:

On our breaks we get a free meal (not allowed everything on the menu, only certain items).

Even if I'm not hungry, I'll still take a meal and have it just for the sake that it's free.

I need to now get myself a job in my favourite places to eat. Do you think Nandos is looking?! 😂
What's it like at lunch hour?
That's gross misconduct. I'm sure it was great for your friends, but if you get caught...

I'm not gonna play the innocent employee here though ; )
You can take a guess why.

Haha you've done the same! Classic

Have you ever had to send someone home?
Reply 52
Crazy. Never ending queues. Always having to look out for the 'mystery shopper' that assesses us on quality, service, friendliness etc, having to juggle around 4 or 5 orders at a time, co-ordinate crew members and communicate as well as keep on top of shift targets/objectives. It's just constant.

Don't think I'm allowed to disclose figures, but during busy periods( mainly peak hours ), especially on Saturday's we can easily take in 4 digits per hour.
Crazy. Never ending queues. Always having to look out for the 'mystery shopper' that assesses us on quality, service, friendliness etc, having to juggle around 4 or 5 orders at a time, co-ordinate crew members and communicate as well as keep on top of shift targets/objectives. It's just constant.

Don't think I'm allowed to disclose figures, but during busy periods( mainly peak hours ), especially on Saturday's we can easily take in 4 digits per hour.

Wow! That does sound crazy. I'm totally not made for that after all 😕
What's been one of your most memorable customer?
Do killer clowns start beef with Ronald there?
What's your favourite food from Maccy D's?
what is the name of a quarter pounder with cheese in France ?

:holmes:
Always. When I look at a Big Mac, I just gotta let myself go. It's like a sprinkler system down there. It's not that consistency for no reason.

PRSOM
Reply 58
I feel like McDonald's get's a lot of negative publicity or whenever anyone hears the word, it just springs negative connotations to mind.

It would be nice to eradicate any bad myths or queries people have about it, so I'm more than happy to answer any questions you guys have.

I will do my best to elaborate as much as I can and be as honest as I can :biggrin:

Background: I've been working there for 2 years and I'm currently an Area Leader/Floor Manager.

Fancy helping us in this thread? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4384350
What's your fav MCR song?

Quick Reply

Latest