The Student Room Group

I just quit McDonalds without a notice

So I’ve been working at McDonalds for 3 weeks today would’ve marked a month at McDonald’s and honestly I couldn’t do it anymore. For reference I’m 17 and yesterday was the last straw where I had to work 7am-6pm. I was so annoyed and felt so exploited and used. Firstly before even started I was only given 5 minutes of training and usually at your first shift at McDonalds you’re meant to work 5 hours but they had me doing overtime on the first day at 9 hours!!! I’m meant to be working 7am-3pm but ever since I started I’ve been working till 5-6. Today I didn’t show up and yesterday is my last day. Honestly they don’t deserve a notice, I’ve only been there 3.5 weeks they can replace me anyway. . Whenever it hit 3pm and it was time for me to clock out my manager would purposely put people on breaks so I was forced to work longer. I feel like such a mug for putting up for it.

For reference they had me on tills, drinks, presenting orders and packing orders all at once most days. Whilst all the older workers just lounge around or go on their stupid phones.
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

I also had a terrible experience working there :hugs:
Original post by Obolinda
I also had a terrible experience working there :hugs:

I feel like an idiot for feeling bad for not saying I’m quitting but they’ve treated me so shítty🙁😒
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Hellokitty123abc
So I’ve been working at McDonalds for 3 weeks today would’ve marked a month at McDonald’s and honestly I couldn’t do it anymore. For reference I’m 17 and yesterday was the last straw where I had to work 7am-6pm. I was so annoyed and felt so exploited and used. Firstly before even started I was only given 5 minutes of training and usually at your first shift at McDonalds you’re meant to work 5 hours but they had me doing overtime on the first day at 9 hours!!! I’m meant to be working 7am-3pm but ever since I started I’ve been working till 5-6. Today I didn’t show up and yesterday is my last day. Honestly they don’t deserve a notice, I’ve only been there 3.5 weeks they can replace me anyway. No amount of money is worth being treated so ******* **** by an employer. Whenever it hit 3pm and it was time for me to clock out my manager would purposely put people on breaks so I was forced to work longer. I feel like such a mug for putting up for it.

For reference they had me on tills, drinks, presenting orders and packing orders all at once most days. Whilst all the older workers just lounge around or go on their stupid phones.

I know you were fed up of working there, but not giving notice wasnt ideal. If it was that bad- you dont want to lower yourself down to their level.
Could you not have spoken to a manger to try and get issues sorted out, to avoid it getting to this point?
Original post by Emma:-)
I know you were fed up of working there, but not giving notice wasnt ideal. If it was that bad- you dont want to lower yourself down to their level.
Could you not have spoken to a manger to try and get issues sorted out, to avoid it getting to this point?

The manager was the one causing the issues, the whole management team was appalling. No point going to HR, they exist to protect the company not the employees.

im going there next week to return my uniform, I’ll probably talk to them then and say I’m quitting
(edited 1 year ago)
The manager was the one causing the issues, the whole management team was appalling. No point going to HR, they exist to protect the company not the employees.

im going there next week to return my interview, I’ll probably talk to them then and say I’m quitting

Besides I’d only worked for 3.5 weeks, is a notice even relevant. They didn’t even call today when I was absent. I doubt they care. Let’s face it, I’m replaceable and I don’t owe them anything.
Besides I’d only worked for 3.5 weeks, is a notice even relevant. They didn’t even call today when I was absent. I doubt they care. Let’s face it, I’m replaceable and I don’t owe them anything.

Congratulations on standing up for yourself and choosing your basic needs over the company. They have used you because you are young and they knew you would take it. Never work for longer than the specified hours in your contract if it is not your decision and you aren’t being paid for it. Just say no.

However, if you haven’t told them you’ve quit, then a little bit of advice don’t quit yet. Go back with a new attitude. Do the bare minimum. If you arrive at 6:57, wait outside until the clock reads 7. Leave at 3pm on the dot and ignore any reason otherwise. If an order comes in at 3:01, tell the customer that someone in the back will have to take their order, then leave.

In the meantime, pursue a paper trail by contacting HR (via email) and letting them know how you’re being overworked and mistreated. If your contract says overtime should be paid, comment that the additional hours that you have worked need to be added to your monthly pay. If not, don’t surrender an extra minute of your time. Wait for them to take action. If no action is taken after that point, quit after you get paid.

If you were 18, I would recommend waiting to get fired (for JSA), but because you’re 17, the best thing is to make a record if anyone asks, and then you have good reason on paper to resign. Maintaining a good reputation is important with lack of experience. Respect yourself, but know your limits and think about what you’re going to say to the next job.

Wishing you luck.
Original post by SagaciousSag
Congratulations on standing up for yourself and choosing your basic needs over the company. They have used you because you are young and they knew you would take it. Never work for longer than the specified hours in your contract if it is not your decision and you aren’t being paid for it. Just say no.

However, if you haven’t told them you’ve quit, then a little bit of advice don’t quit yet. Go back with a new attitude. Do the bare minimum. If you arrive at 6:57, wait outside until the clock reads 7. Leave at 3pm on the dot and ignore any reason otherwise. If an order comes in at 3:01, tell the customer that someone in the back will have to take their order, then leave.

In the meantime, pursue a paper trail by contacting HR (via email) and letting them know how you’re being overworked and mistreated. If your contract says overtime should be paid, comment that the additional hours that you have worked need to be added to your monthly pay. If not, don’t surrender an extra minute of your time. Wait for them to take action. If no action is taken after that point, quit after you get paid.

If you were 18, I would recommend waiting to get fired (for JSA), but because you’re 17, the best thing is to make a record if anyone asks, and then you have good reason on paper to resign. Maintaining a good reputation is important with lack of experience. Respect yourself, but know your limits and think about what you’re going to say to the next job.

Wishing you luck.

Thank you so much for this advice! ❤️
Guys I made a complaint to HR a while back about the manager, I was recommend to by other employees. Now my manager wants a meeting because HR sent my complaint about THE MANAGER to THE MANAGER…like is that even allowed??? Wtf happened to privacy. There seems to be many breeches here unless I’m just too young and naive. @SagaciousSag
Guys I made a complaint to HR a while back about the manager, I was recommend to by other employees. Now my manager wants a meeting because HR sent my complaint about THE MANAGER to THE MANAGER…like is that even allowed??? Wtf happened to privacy. There seems to be many breeches here unless I’m just too young and naive. @SagaciousSag

Informing the accused that they are under investigation is customary. In this situation, it is likely that HR has named you because they see the problem as something that can be resolved between the two of you without further intervention. As you stated, HR is there to protect the company, which is why you have to protect yourself.

In the meeting, the manager may be civil and provide a reasonable solution (which should be your contracted hours), meaning you wouldn’t have to leave your job. However, if you believe your manager is someone menacing or likely to threaten you, it may be a good idea to record the conversation. This would not be illegal unless shared with a third party without consent.

If the manager retaliates, you need to document every action taken and report it to HR with your evidence. An example would be verbal abuse or threatening due to your report alongside schedule changes and additional work. You may also be fired for a silly reason. HR are much more likely to take action in this case, as the company is at risk of being sued.

Remember to remain collected and professional, know what goes against your contract and be prepared to defend your hours if required.
This whole thing is just long and unnecessary, I already told him I wanted to quit and that I wasn’t coming back. The constant back and forth is stupid.

im going there next week to return my uniform, I’ll probably talk to them then and say I’m quitting

This whole thing is just long and unnecessary, I already told him I wanted to quit and that I wasn’t coming back. The constant back and forth is stupid.

Exactly!! Ignore these people! I always tell people who want to quit... TO QUIT. THEY DO NOT CARE about notice. Notice is VERY old school and UNNECESSARY. It is ONLY necessary when you work in a predetermined salaried contract that you need to break which you DON'T at McDonald's, since you are hourly. Notice is also only necessary if you want to work in the company again and at that exact same branch since each McDonald's is a separate franchisee not a unified database. Notice is finally only necessary if your next job requires a reference just to even apply. Otherwise. JUST. QUIT. You don't need to give notice. I have never given notice in my life and no job has held me hostage or no next job has ever asked for a reference from the previous 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
Notice is basically asking for permission to quit. You are not legally obligated to provide notice lol good on you for tossing your apron down and walking out. They can sack you without notice and you can quit without notice. Anyone who says otherwise lives in fantasyland.
as you should
Original post by Bang Outta Order
Notice is basically asking for permission to quit. You are not legally obligated to provide notice lol good on you for tossing your apron down and walking out. They can sack you without notice and you can quit without notice. Anyone who says otherwise lives in fantasyland.

Exactly thank you 😭😩 felt like a díckhead for even feeling guilty for a minute. I’m literally nothing to them I don’t owe them a thing
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Bang Outta Order
Exactly!! Ignore these people! I always tell people who want to quit... TO QUIT. THEY DO NOT CARE about notice. Notice is VERY old school and UNNECESSARY. It is ONLY necessary when you work in a predetermined salaried contract that you need to break which you DON'T at McDonald's, since you are hourly. Notice is also only necessary if you want to work in the company again and at that exact same branch since each McDonald's is a separate franchisee not a unified database. Notice is finally only necessary if your next job requires a reference just to even apply. Otherwise. JUST. QUIT. You don't need to give notice. I have never given notice in my life and no job has held me hostage or no next job has ever asked for a reference from the previous 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

Right.
So how do you explain the fact that the franchisee who owned the McDonald's where I used to work was the franchisee of over 20 stores.
And yes they did used to communicate. In fact they communicated about several employees who left one store under a black cloud then tried to get a job at another store at some point later on down the line.
So I’ve been working at McDonalds for 3 weeks today would’ve marked a month at McDonald’s and honestly I couldn’t do it anymore. For reference I’m 17 and yesterday was the last straw where I had to work 7am-6pm. I was so annoyed and felt so exploited and used. Firstly before even started I was only given 5 minutes of training and usually at your first shift at McDonalds you’re meant to work 5 hours but they had me doing overtime on the first day at 9 hours!!! I’m meant to be working 7am-3pm but ever since I started I’ve been working till 5-6. Today I didn’t show up and yesterday is my last day. Honestly they don’t deserve a notice, I’ve only been there 3.5 weeks they can replace me anyway. No amount of money is worth being treated so fücking shít by an employer. Whenever it hit 3pm and it was time for me to clock out my manager would purposely put people on breaks so I was forced to work longer. I feel like such a mug for putting up for it.

That's totally fine you're 17 just find another job but act like it's your first one you don't need s reference from Maccies.

I worked there when I was your age and it was horrible was literally doing night shifts for £5.50 an hour (2013?)

Probably the worst work culture ever.
Original post by Graduatemed2023
That's totally fine you're 17 just find another job but act like it's your first one you don't need s reference from Maccies.

I worked there when I was your age and it was horrible was literally doing night shifts for £5.50 an hour (2013?)

Probably the worst work culture ever.

Yeah it is in fact my first ever job. And I don’t need a reference from them. Most jobs for young ppl like myself accept academic references also.

Pretty sure the contract says (I currently work there) that if you've worked less than a month then no notice is required
Original post by silkypokemon96
Pretty sure the contract says (I currently work there) that if you've worked less than a month then no notice is required

Yeah mine said that too! I worked 3.5 weeks. Was planning on staying 3 months but the management was just awful. And places of employment need to stop with the age rule that under 18 get paid less when we all do the same job🙄

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending