The Student Room Group

Step Up to Social Work 2014

Scroll to see replies

I'm doing a Master internship at a university in widening participation, so I do a lot of outreach work with looked after children and young people in general.
Same - I've been to assessment centres before for other graduate schemes and I found them quite unrealistic and wasn't successful at any of them. I'd much rather have a regular face-to-face interview! (I get really nervous during normal interviews too though, .

==================================
Foot Pain Causes and Treatment | Pain in Foot
Reply 601
Is anyone else driving to Salford tomorrow? I usually get the train but it isn't really convenient where I'm living at the moment.

Is the parking really as bad as it seems? It's exam period at Salford at the moment, so I'm hoping it won't be as busy? I just don't want to end up panicking trying to find somewhere to park at 10am.

Really looking forward to getting started, good luck to anyone else starting tomorrow :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 602
Hi all,

I have recently taken up the position of social work assistant and have a degree with hons (a 2:2), I am thinking of applying for the step up to social work, firstly would I stand of chance of getting through with a 2:2 and can anyone tell me the process from beginning to end. Thank you
Reply 603
Original post by Salison
Hi all,

I have recently taken up the position of social work assistant and have a degree with hons (a 2:2), I am thinking of applying for the step up to social work, firstly would I stand of chance of getting through with a 2:2 and can anyone tell me the process from beginning to end. Thank you

Hi, in the past the criteria has been that applicants must have a degree classification 2:1 or above and they would not accept applications from anyone who did not meet this criteria.
Reply 604
Hi,

How much experience do you think is required. I have only just started volunteering with a childrens charity a couple of months ago. So I'm not sure if that's much
Hiya

how do you find out which local authorities are participating in the Step Up to Social Work programs? My sister lives in Stoke-on-Trent and has been advised to apply to Cheshire Easts', however there does not appear to be any information regarding this on their website and when we contacted them they seemed none the wiser.

Cheers
Hi everyone I'm be to this and have just graduated. Just out of curiosity what requirements are needed to get onto this programme.
hi
what experience did people have for the STEP UP programme? i am applying for next years and was wondering what sorts of jobs or voluntary work people have done?
Reply 608
Original post by char123lotte
hi
what experience did people have for the STEP UP programme? i am applying for next years and was wondering what sorts of jobs or voluntary work people have done?

Hi Charlotte, I'm planning on applying as well for next year. Have you already started applying? I thought that applications weren't open yet - if they are please let me know as I want to apply as soon as I can.
I've got quite a lot of experience working with children, teenagers and vulnerable adults ,but not families.
Good luck!
Reply 609
Original post by R0S
Hi Charlotte, I'm planning on applying as well for next year. Have you already started applying? I thought that applications weren't open yet - if they are please let me know as I want to apply as soon as I can.
I've got quite a lot of experience working with children, teenagers and vulnerable adults ,but not families.
Good luck!

Hi, I am also thinking about applying for next year, I have quite a bit of experience working with at risk young people and their families and currently work with young offenders. I don't however have any experience working with vulnerable adults. I read through this whole stream to see what the process is for applying and can only hope that I will be successful too :smile:
Applications don't open until March so I guess just reading until then!
I have experience with children in a variety of settings, and currently have secured a job as an education welfare officer on a temp contract which means more experience with children and families :smile: really hope I get onto this course it seems hard to get onto!
Hello, does anyone know what local authorities are participating for step up cohort 4 January 2016? I have emailed step up but still waiting for a reply. It does say that this will be confirmed in April but we can start applying in March just really hope they are working in partnership with anywhere in the East Midlands.

Thank you very much.
Anyone help? I have a BA open degree which has no class as is an ordinary degree. Would this count for entry as it is a level 6 qualification just hasn't got a class.????

I would like to apply for jan 16 start
I am also interested in applying for the 2016 cohort. I'm hoping applications will open soon. I just wondered if anyone knew what they are looking for? I have a degree in Psychology BSc (2:1) from Uni of Exeter. I have mentored young people from low SES backgrounds and worked with children in early years and primary schools and done some volunteer work with a Psychologist. Do you think this is suitable experience?
I'm from exeter and applying too. I have experience with children with severe disabilities, with the elderly and currently work as a TA with a child with autism and associated behaviour issues. I have a 2.1 degree in Environmental Studies.

Does anyone know what local authorities will be taking part or which ones were in the last cohort?

Also how far do you need to travel to go for interviews/assessments , are they local or held nationally?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Penelope25
I am also interested in applying for the 2016 cohort. I'm hoping applications will open soon. I just wondered if anyone knew what they are looking for? I have a degree in Psychology BSc (2:1) from Uni of Exeter. I have mentored young people from low SES backgrounds and worked with children in early years and primary schools and done some volunteer work with a Psychologist. Do you think this is suitable experience?

I have made a few enquiries to councils Emma and I have a similar background. e.g. - 2.1 and good amount of related work experience/actual job experience. That is a good base to start applying for this course from what I hear so I would say go for it! I will be.

Frustratingly I have not heard back from the enquiries I have sent directly to the step up application page. I am hoping this is common and from looking on here I think it may be.. Hopefully they will be releasing the applications soon..

N
Anyone else actually had any luck directly getting in contact with the Step Up applications team?

Or is everyone just looking at the same .gov webpage I am..

thanks
Oh good everyone seems to be on the same page then! No I haven't heard anything back. If you read previous posts in this thread people talk about the local authorities they applied to. I think there were quite a few in London last time. I'm hoping it's the same this time!! As far as I know I think you do the assessment at the local authority you applied to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 618
It's not just me then finding it difficult to apply! Thought I was missing something important - I've emailed then several times but no reply as of yet. I suppose they haven't specified a particular date in March, so it could be any time? Am I right in thinking you apply on their gov.co.uk website, or is there somewhere else we apply?
Reply 619
I had assumed, having registered my interest, i would have been sent some updated information by now, but haven't heard anything. I keep checking the gov.uk website and hope, when the application system opens, it will appear on there. If anybody spots how/where to apply, could you post it on here please.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending