Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Arsenal Thread XXII watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cost)
    Thats where he mostly played last season. Scored 9 in the league. I wish Arsenal fans would just admit he's gone backwards as footballer. He had his chance upfront for Arsenal for a large period of the season, didn't do anything. Not good enough for any team in the top 4.
    I don't disagree. Welbeck shouldn't be playing for us.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swirly)
    Do you think Wenger intended this?

Bellerin is clearly better offensively in the final third than defensively on the rest of the pitch.
    Unless my knowledge is way off, Bellerin was originally training as a winger in La Masia, but Wenger adapted him as a RB when he joined us. This is probably why he is very good at passing, crossing, and he has a cracking eye for goal as a full back. We are lucky that Coquelin sits back and protects the CB's, which allows them to widen a bit, and cover more ground, and that the rest of our team like to drift around freely (Cazorla, Ozil and Ramsey in particular). This means that there is almost invariably someone else to cover Bellerin when he runs forward, the problem is that we play everything in the final third, which means we get comfortable in possession outside their box (including bringing both full backs up), and leave a CB and Coq near the half-way line (with another one further back). Whenever a team breaks out against us, they can catch us out down the right wing, because Bellerin is usually near the corner flag, Ramsey in near the centre of the box, and Mertesacker is running so slowly time is moving backwards for him.

Another issue is that when the other team plays along the opposite wing, Bellerin gets dragged across with Mertesacker, and usually just stands directly behind him, leaving space down the right wing. A prime example is Sterling, when he got the ball and had a lot of space to run into, winning a penalty, because Bellerin was dragged out of position, and there was no-one on the right wing to back him up.

Sorry for the essay btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by midnightice)
    Rosicky will be made captain, only to play under 10 games for that season.

Wenger gonna Wenger.
    Rosicky would make the perfect captain...

Ten years ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    Unless my knowledge is way off, Bellerin was originally training as a winger in La Masia, but Wenger adapted him as a RB when he joined us. This is probably why he is very good at passing, crossing, and he has a cracking eye for goal as a full back. We are lucky that Coquelin sits back and protects the CB's, which allows them to widen a bit, and cover more ground, and that the rest of our team like to drift around freely (Cazorla, Ozil and Ramsey in particular). This means that there is almost invariably someone else to cover Bellerin when he runs forward, the problem is that we play everything in the final third, which means we get comfortable in possession outside their box (including bringing both full backs up), and leave a CB and Coq near the half-way line (with another one further back). Whenever a team breaks out against us, they can catch us out down the right wing, because Bellerin is usually near the corner flag, Ramsey in near the centre of the box, and Mertesacker is running so slowly time is moving backwards for him.

Another issue is that when the other team plays along the opposite wing, Bellerin gets dragged across with Mertesacker, and usually just stands directly behind him, leaving space down the right wing. A prime example is Sterling, when he got the ball and had a lot of space to run into, winning a penalty, because Bellerin was dragged out of position, and there was no-one on the right wing to back him up.

Sorry for the essay btw.
    lol was a good read.

are you sure Wenger adapted him?

Most fullbacks are failed wingers or CB's. I suspect he was a RW, and Wenger forced him back to RB as he thought he wouldnt have the quality to make it as RW long term.

Yeah while Bellerin can get caught up high in the pitch, he has bags of pace to make up for it, the only thing letting him down is, numerous times after catching his man up he cant actually make a tackle. he's young though, he can work on his tackling.

debuchy has striked me as average and equally unconvincing defensively, wouldn't be surprised if bellerin starts as RB next season.

ReputationRep:
    lol was a good read.

Most fullbacks are failed wingers or CB's. I suspect he was a RW, and Wenger forced him back to RB as he thought he wouldnt have the quality to make it as RW long term.

Yeah while Bellerin can get caught up high in the pitch, he has bags of pace to make up for it, the only thing letting him down is, numerous times after catching his man up he cant actually make a tackle. he's young though, he can work on his tackling.

debuchy has striked me as average and equally unconvincing defensively, wouldn't be surprised if bellerin starts as RB next season.
    Well it's hard to criticise debuchy considering how little game time he's had.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    lol was a good read.

I don't know if he was a failed winger, I just think Wenger saw that he had potential as a RB, and if he continued to be a winger, he would be good, but not good enough to dislodge Walcott/Ox/Gnabry.

The problem with Bellerin is that his timing and decision making is sometimes off, and that his heading is atrocious.

Debuchy is not average, he just suffered in a mediocre Newcastle team. He is a slight upgrade on Sagna, who was brilliant for us. Debuchy is by far our best RB defensively, and he has equally good ability offensively. Next season I think Chambers is going out on loan, with Debuchy our starter, then Jenko/Bellerin.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if he was a failed winger, I just think Wenger saw that he had potential as a RB, and if he continued to be a winger, he would be good, but not good enough to dislodge Walcott/Ox/Gnabry.

The problem with Bellerin is that his timing and decision making is sometimes off, and that I have seen ISIS victims with a better ability at heading the ball than him.

Debuchy is not average, he just suffered in a mediocre Newcastle team. He is a slight upgrade on Sagna, who was brilliant for us. Debuchy is by far our best RB defensively, and he has equally good ability offensively. Next season I think Chambers is going out on loan, with Debuchy our starter, then Jenko/Bellerin.
    I doubt jenko will make it back unfortunately even if he's arsenal an arsenal boi.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    lol was a good read.

He was actually scouted when the Barca youth team had an injury crisis and Bellerin played as an emergency right back. This is according to himself. So, not completely a failed RW.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatGuyRik)
    I doubt jenko will make it back unfortunately even if he's arsenal an arsenal boi.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We could probably get around £12-£15m for him, so it wouldn't be a *massive* loss, but he is far better than Chambers, and is currently a safer bet at the back than Bellerin. Unless Debuchy, Bellerin and Chambers are all insanely good for the last few games of the season, I can't see Wenger selling him (perhaps extending loan), but I think he'll just send one of Bellerin/Chambers out, and bring back Jenko.

ReputationRep:
    Chambers will be a CB in the future anyway and he deffo wont go on loan next season, at least he shouldnt. I can see us either selling Jenko and keeping Bellerin as backup to Debuchy or sending Bellerin on loan to a PL club and Jenko being backup. Preferably the latter as Debuchy will probably start a decline in the next 2 seasons and then we can move him along and we'll have RB sorted for around 7/8 years.

ReputationRep:
    Loan Bellerin next season, the kids been good but has a lot to learn. I get the feeling Jenko wouldn't be a complete disaster at cb if needed, he's relatively tall, pretty physical and not ridiculously slow, so would be good back up if/ a defensive injury crisis occurs. Plus he is more likely to offer Debuchy serious competition for his starting spot, something that has helped Gibbs and Montreal massively and turned lb into one of our strongest positions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    Loan Bellerin next season, the kids been good but has a lot to learn. I get the feeling Jenko wouldn't be a complete disaster at cb if needed, he's relatively tall, pretty physical and not ridiculously slow, so would be good back up if/ a defensive injury crisis occurs. Plus he is more likely to offer Debuchy serious competition for his starting spot, something that has helped Gibbs and Montreal massively and turned lb into one of our strongest positions
    would need to be a massive defensive crisis haha, still got Chambers, Gabriel and Hayden(lol) and even Monreal and Flamini would probably be considered before Jenko would need to step in.

ReputationRep:
    The problem with Bellerin is that his timing and decision making is sometimes off, and that I have seen ISIS victims with a better ability at heading the ball than him.
    ****ing hell

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    ****ing hell

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Rofl thought it was Just me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Rofl thought it was Just me

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    ****ing hell

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sorry for that last comment about Bellerin if anyone found it offensive :/

(Original post by fallen_acorns)
    piss off.

- sincerly.

Acorns.

(PS, do actually stay around in the football forum. but just dont be a **** about it)
    Alright

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for that last comment about Bellerin if anyone found it offensive :/
    Didn't find it offensive just weird that's all xD

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    xD

ReputationRep:
    Hope Febregas gets booked against united next week and suspended, I can't bear the thought of that apologist playing for Chelsea at the Emirates. Plus the fans would probably boo him which would be disappointing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    Hope Febregas gets booked against united next week and suspended, I can't bear the thought of that apologist playing for Chelsea at the Emirates. Plus the fans would probably boo him which would be disappointing
    You guys must be looking forward to your trip to OT?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 12, 2015
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.