The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7540
I like the club ..... I love ARSENAL ARSENAL
although some time ago lost in the champions league club did not dampen my love for this one.
let's go ahead ARSENAL
Original post by angelA18
I like the club ..... I love ARSENAL ARSENAL
although some time ago lost in the champions league club did not dampen my love for this one.
let's go ahead ARSENAL

Welcome to TSR and congrats on breaking your post virginity :smile:
Too many fans are too quick to point to the players but a lot of the defensive frailties (which are blown out of proportion by the media) are down to communication/leadership issues at the back. One player must lead the defense especially in set piece situations this is more of a coaching issue really and schezza is good enough for the gk spot with fabianski as back up.

Bear in mind next season vermealen will be back and with him djourou and kos competing for places is a comforting thought - only squilacci needs to be replaced tbh.

As mentioned by others I would hope Wenger opts to sign a midfielder who is strong in the tackle and prepared to close down and harass opponents rather than relying on Frimpong and the like.
Original post by T.Adams VI
We don't need a new goalkeeper, shezny is quality. Our problem is not with youth, I must stress that. Players like Wilshere/Smalling show us that young players can be more than competent in this league.

Instead of just spending, we need to focus on the mentality of our players. We need to be tighter, and much more disciplined.

Without spending I don't think you'll be winning anything for some time.
Reply 7544
Taye Taiwo of Marseille is a free agent in the summer. I'd be happy for the club to acquire him, he's a heavily-built, and somewhat offensive, left-back, but I'm sure he could adapt to play left CB. A defence next year of Sagna, Eboue, Djourou, Koscielny, Vermaelen, Taiwo, Gibbs and Clichy, in front of Sczezney/Fabianski, would be most satisfactory.

Problem is, he wouldn't necessarily be guaranteed first-team football (unless he displaces Clichy, which would be a possibility). He's professed a desire for AC Milan, and he'd immediatly slot into that team considering their poor selection of left-backs.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Isometrix
Without spending I don't think you'll be winning anything for some time.

I would expect that type of comment from a Chel$$$ea fan.
Sorry Tone, but I agree with him.

On the other hand though, we don't need to spend anywhere near as much as people make out.
I'm expecting Clichy to be off this summer. Sad, but he's not exactly been sterling this year.
To be fair, when it comes to this summer we'll have at least four senior left-backs at the club before selling.

Clichy, Gibbs, Traore and Botelho.
Yeah but Traore is terrible and Botelho plays second division football or something.
Reply 7550
Sagna Vermaelen Hangeland Lahm.

Now that would be a wicked back four. But the sad thing is that we probably wouldn't be able to get Lahm.

But getting Hangeland is not impossible. Just pay 20m and we have got him...
Hangeland...really?

He had one excellent season last season but hasn't been nearly as solid in this one.

In terms of current Prem footballers I'd be looking at Gary Cahill, but with Djourou and Koscielny playing as well as they have been, I can't see having four top defenders as being beneficial to their progress.
Original post by marcusmerehay
Hangeland...really?

He had one excellent season last season but hasn't been nearly as solid in this one.

In terms of current Prem footballers I'd be looking at Gary Cahill, but with Djourou and Koscielny playing as well as they have been, I can't see having four top defenders as being beneficial to their progress.

I think it's hard to judge our centre-halves this season considering our established defender has misSed the entire season. I wonder what the Djourou/Kosc-Vermaelen partnership would be like.

Admittedly we shouldn't be in a position where we only have one established centrehalf, but nonetheless.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7553
True, but I would take him over Squillaci any day. The good thing about Hangeland is his height. We need some height in our defense, someone who can head the ball well.

Heh, Chris Samba would be another one. We all know he is not the best, but he is big and strong. But Cahill wouldn't be a bad choice, I would gladly take him.
Original post by marcusmerehay
Hangeland...really?

It will create competition. The best two at any given time will play.

United have Vidic/Ferdinand/Smalling/Evans, and I don't think any of those defenders have had their development hindered. (despite Vidic/Ferdinand being guaranteed to start when fit).

Basically we need a replacement for Squillaci.

Cahill/Jagielka would be my choices from the prem. But I wouldn't mind a foreigner (non-french).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7555
Per Mertesacker? Neven Subotic?
Original post by T.Adams VI
United have Vidic/Ferdinand/Smalling/Evans, and I don't think any of those defenders have had their development hindered. (despite Vidic/Ferdinand being guaranteed to start when fit).
Evans mainly got his run before Smalling arrived, and played when Rio was injured long term. Smalling has only played due to Rio being injured again, and Evans also being injured.

I think having two experienced CB's injured is unfortunate, but don't think you need to buy an experienced CB. Assuming they were all fit, which next season they will be, You have Vermalean, Kos, Djourou to rotate, and Squillaci or preferably his replacement for cup games, early CL, and as a back up.

I don't understand why Clichy would move, or why Arsenal would let him, he is coming to the age where you will reap the benefits of bring him in young, if he does move it had better be for a big wad of cash.
Reply 7557
JK.
OP
Some of the stuff in here is getting ridiculous now, why we would look for a Clichy replacement after how he's been the last few months? There are so few decent lbs around and he's improved soooo much, buying one in would completely destroy his confidence and be totally unnecessary. If his form just disappears before the end of the season then you may have a point; Gibbs/Traore definitely aren't up for it yet, but he's been fantastic of late.

As for a CB, Squillers has to go and we need to replace him with a solid player. As for who that would be, I don't really know. Cahill isn't a bad suggestion so long as we can use Bolton's financial troubles to our advantage and not end up paying a ridiculous premium just because he's english. I'm not too sure about Jagielka, he seems to be a bit injury prone which is hardly great considering our situation, also just signed a new 4 year contract which suggests he's happy where he is and will mean us having to pay extra.
Original post by JK.
Some of the stuff in here is getting ridiculous now, why we would look for a Clichy replacement after how he's been the last few months? There are so few decent lbs around and he's improved soooo much, buying one in would completely destroy his confidence and be totally unnecessary. If his form just disappears before the end of the season then you may have a point; Gibbs/Traore definitely aren't up for it yet, but he's been fantastic of late.

Well it may not be our decision. Clichy's not signing a new contract, if he doesn't by the end of summer, ship him off.
Reply 7559
JK.
OP
Original post by Hantheman
Well it may not be our decision. Clichy's not signing a new contract, if he doesn't by the end of summer, ship him off.

Given how he's played the last few months I'm sure Wenger will be willing to stump up a bit of extra cash to keep him if that's what it is - get rid of the ****e and we'll have the extra wage budget available. If it's not about the money I'd be surprised if Wenger's not able to talk him round anyway.

Latest