The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by iloveconverse
I'm thinking of taking Chemistry for my A-levels, but many say that they find it hard. What is it that makes it difficult? The topics? Exams?

Also, if you are taking it and you are doing well, can I ask what grade you got at GCSE Chemistry?

I want to know if you think its worth me taking it, even tough I'm unsure if I'll be doing a science degree or not?

:eek: I find GCSE chemistry hard! But then, I don't understand why people find languages hard (the subjunctive? psssh). I guess it's whether you have the right kind of mind. That isn't to say, however, that you can't be good at both (or neither!). If you work hard and try to find fun ways of absorbing the knowledge then you should be fine. I think it's the theoretical stuff that people find hard - I am struggining with anions and cations whereas things like hard & soft water I'm fine with as it's something that has more application irl.
I'm probably not taking it as an A-level (currently in year 11) but the guy I was going out with at the time I looked around colleges is going to so I had to look with him, so I thought I'd just poke my nose in :biggrin: I will get a B at GCSE, but hopefully an A.

However, if you think you'll be able to cope then I'd recommend taking it even if you might not do sciences at uni as it can be applied to a wide range of subjects and is greatly respected by employers and unis (and by me :biggrin: I admire people who can do it the way I admire sports stars lol)
(edited 12 years ago)
Not sure. Maybe I'll see why when I start A2 but I find AS Chemistry a joke. The questions basically repeat year after year.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by fGDu
I got A in chemistry gcse, A* in maths gcse, and currently I've got 91% in chem1, 96% in my ISA. I didn't work very hard for gcse chemistry, and now I'm working a lot harder at A level, my point is that you shouldn't take A level chemistry for granted, but if you start in september knowing that it will be difficult and work hard for it you will do well.

This attitude towards studying will help you in any subject.

Hi bit off topic but do you know if the Chemistry and Physics ISA Grade boundaries have been released? I have done both like you and my teachers have marked them but I wanna work it out in UMS to work out what I need in Unit 2 Physics and Chemistry.

Oh and btw I love your sig (Stone Roses FTW) :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 63
Original post by vedderfan94
Hi bit off topic but do you know if the Chemistry and Physics ISA Grade boundaries have been released? I have done both like you and my teachers have marked them but I wanna work it out in UMS to work out what I need in Unit 2 Physics and Chemistry.

Oh and btw I love your sig (Stone Roses FTW) :biggrin:

Thanks, all I did was I took my mark out of 50 and multiplied it by 60, so the answer is no the grade boundaries have not been released. I got 48/50 in chemistry, 41/50 in physics.
Reply 64
I think that A Level Chemistry is seen as difficult because the GCSE does little to prepare you for the A Level study, mainly due to the fact that the GCSE course now has become so saturated and they have taken so much out, meanin that there is very little Chemistry actually in the GCSE course nowadays

If they changed the GCSE courseto make it more focsed on actal chemistry rather than how science works, people wouldn't find A Level Chemistry so difficult
Reply 65
In my opinion the concepts etc are not too hard to get a basic understanding of, however the mark schemes require you to be very specific which takes lots of practice.
Good grade at GCSE + Work + Interest in the subject = Not too difficult for you.
Reply 67
Hey, i am currently finished my first year at college and have taken Chemistry as one of my subjects.. it is such an interesting subject, the experiments are fab and the teachers are amazing.
I got B at GCSE for chemistry and i am finding the subject quite easy, it really depends on the individual at hand and the work you are prepared to put in. Some people grasp it very well and others struggle a little. A-Levels are very hard and a really big change from GCSE so you need to be well prepared :smile:
Chemistry is a very highly recognised subject by many universities and opens many career opportunities, i would seriously recomend chemistry at A-Level good luck! :smile:
I don't have the kind of memory that can remember arbitrary stuff like formulas and equations... I'm better at biology where there's actually something to think about.
I got an A* in GCSE Chemistry, and i'm predicted an A for AS-level, but i don't find it my haaardest subject,
i think it's generally hard because it isn't just about memorising like it is in GCSE, it's a lot more about actually understanding the concepts and being able to apply them, and i find there's a point at which certain concepts just 'click' together in your mind, but i'm not trying to say that achieving this understanding is something that you've just got to wait to happen! i know many people who haven't understood something at all, so got extra time with the teacher or looked it up and all, the amount of work you put in is likely to reflect the grade you get out of it :wink:

:smile: and yeah you might as well try chemistry, if you really dislike it then you can always drop it within the first few weeks and pick up something else :biggrin:
Reply 70
Original post by iloveconverse
I'm thinking of taking Chemistry for my A-levels, but many say that they find it hard. What is it that makes it difficult? The topics? Exams?

Also, if you are taking it and you are doing well, can I ask what grade you got at GCSE Chemistry?

I want to know if you think its worth me taking it, even tough I'm unsure if I'll be doing a science degree or not?

It's not hard if you spend some time looking through the notes you took in lesson at least once a week. The fact is that there are quite a lot of stuff need to be memorized, if you like chemistry, you'll find it okay+ interesting, if you have no interest in it, then you will find it boring and you would probably take no effort in doing it...
Personally, I think A-Level chemistry is really fun and interesting + not hard and I'm thinking to take a chemistry degree in Uni!
I got A* in core and additional chemistry, it was really easy!! But I still took some time to settle in A-Level Chem at the beginning of the year but once I've settled in, everything was fine!
Good luck! :smile:
What did you end up getting for all four if you dont mind sharing??
I think i am quite smart as i got 96 averages in maths and further maths and 95s innohysics. I got a D in chemistry. its just hard lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ochuko26
What did you end up getting for all four if you dont mind sharing??

This thread is 3 years old!!
Locking due to age :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending