The Student Room Group

GEO4B resit June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60

Yeah I watched it and its quite decent, mainly about the responses

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 61
Original post by Farzyy
Not too sure what to do for this when revising at home. Today I'm trying to learn the faults in NZ and what they are doing.

Underneath the North Island the Pacific Plate is sub-ducting the Australian Plate, where as, just south of the South Island this flips, and the Australian Plate is now sub-ducting the Pacific Plate.

Evidence and records have been shown that deeper focus earthquakes under the North Island have formed a well defined seismic zone running from the Malborough Fault in a north easterly direction. In this seismic zone, deeper focus earthquakes have been occurring more in the North of compared to more shallower focus earthquakes happening more to the south east of this seismic zone (in Christchurch territory)

http://www.otago.ac.nz/geology/research/structural_geology/alpinefault/

:smile:

Thankyou for explaining that! :smile:
When looking at figure P1, hydrological events have just about increased the most. This could perhaps be linked to increasing climatological events (e.g. drought). A warmer climate would result in more heat rising and as a result more clouds and rain - so floods would become more frequent. Does this sound about right? I did do weather and climate for unit 3 but as you can probably tell I wasn't very good at it! :L
Reply 63
Original post by rosiejohnston
When looking at figure P1, hydrological events have just about increased the most. This could perhaps be linked to increasing climatological events (e.g. drought). A warmer climate would result in more heat rising and as a result more clouds and rain - so floods would become more frequent. Does this sound about right? I did do weather and climate for unit 3 but as you can probably tell I wasn't very good at it! :L

ill say all 3, climatological, hydrological and meterological events have increased over the years accept for geographical events
Reply 64
Original post by wild_eyes
Think about the obvious hints they're giving you that they could ask questions on, like 'some people think there may be some links between the trends shown in the two sets of data' (that question is SOOO happening), and then work out how to answer it. For that one, you might need to do some statistical tests and work out a model answer for why temp increase could cause increase in extreme weather, but also reasons why there might not be a link (ie P1 is by an insurance company, so they DEFINITELY have a vested interest in extreme weather 'increasing' - they can raise people's premiums, and they could be including teeny tiny floods because they don't specify what a natural disaster is).

im kinda confused on the bit about P1 is by an insurance company, why would they have a vested interest in extreme weather increasing? is it cause they can make more money? Dont really understand the meaning 'premiums' lol D:
what graph would you say would be most suitable for figure p2? I originally thought a histogram although im not too sure :/
Reply 66
kinda confused on what http://www.christchurchquakemap.co.nz/ shows and not sure what we are suppose to note from the website... and how it can be asked in a question
http://www.scoop.it/t/geographical-issue-evaluation-june-2013 found this which has some useful links to websites and christchurch and new zealand :biggrin:
Reply 68
Original post by Jiyaad
I did spearmans rank on P1 & P2, they are not linked whatsoever

what did you do spearmans rank between?
How are you guys revising? just reading?
Reply 70
Original post by Gary
kinda confused on what http://www.christchurchquakemap.co.nz/ shows and not sure what we are suppose to note from the website... and how it can be asked in a question

Im a bit confused too, they could ask about fault unzipping?

So you could say after looking at the interactive map, you believe the theory of fault unzipping is support as it shows that over the months from the Darfield earthquake, the pattern of aftershocks seems to move in a westerly direction toward Christchurch, with obvious anomalies of aftershocks which look random as well.
Reply 71
Original post by rosiejohnston
what graph would you say would be most suitable for figure p2? I originally thought a histogram although im not too sure :/

Im thinking just a bar graph? This allows you too see a trend, e.g. if the years are getting hotter (shown my the bars height increasing through the years) plus with a bar graph you can include years which dont have data and skill create the graph.

I think the first question will be "What graphing technique would you use to present the data in P2"

I would mention the bar graph and how you can see trends. I would also explain how i would create it and what my axis would be. I would also talk about why it is better than another technique (for this try to think of another technique which obviously wouldnt work like a pie graph.)
One final thing I think I would mention is that there is a lot of talk about P1 & P2 being linked, so by drawing a bar graph you could have it the same scale as P1 and in theory you could 'overlay' the two graphs to make looking for similarities or trends easier...

These are just my thoughts, hope they made sense. :smile:
Original post by Farzyy
Im thinking just a bar graph? This allows you too see a trend, e.g. if the years are getting hotter (shown my the bars height increasing through the years) plus with a bar graph you can include years which dont have data and skill create the graph.

I think the first question will be "What graphing technique would you use to present the data in P2"

I would mention the bar graph and how you can see trends. I would also explain how i would create it and what my axis would be. I would also talk about why it is better than another technique (for this try to think of another technique which obviously wouldnt work like a pie graph.)
One final thing I think I would mention is that there is a lot of talk about P1 & P2 being linked, so by drawing a bar graph you could have it the same scale as P1 and in theory you could 'overlay' the two graphs to make looking for similarities or trends easier...

These are just my thoughts, hope they made sense. :smile:

Brilliant, thanks so much! :smile:
Reply 73
Just looking over Figures P4 & P5 im sure they will ask a question about whether seismic activity is increasing over time...

P4 shows that over the last 36 years 29 of the years have been below the mean average seismic energy release which tells us really that seismic energy is not increasing. But then when u analyse i in more detail. I you took out the anomoly of 2004 the mean would drop significantly making a lot more of the years above the average, which would suggest to us that seismic energy release is increasing. This is back up even more so when you look at the height of the bars from 1994, the majority are significantly higher than the bars previous, once again suggesting seismic energy is increasing over time.

Now P5 takes is back another 13 years and includes to more pieces of data which completely change the whole angle at which we look at it. P5 now suggests that seismic energy is decreasing over time and that the increase we've seen over the last 20 years or so is most probably only a fluctuation...

Conclusion we can draw from this is that there is not enough data to make a decision about whether or not earthquakes are increasing, Data which would be useful could include; going back to the start of reliable records allowing us to make better comparisons. The two figures also tell us that the data set can influence us greatly in the way we look at it and analyse it.
Reply 74
Original post by lucyv95
Anyone know the year regarded as the start of reliable climate records? (question in zigzag booklet but I can't find the answer)

Posted from TSR Mobile

1880 were the start of global surface temperature records, but it differs between countries
I really really dont understand how you're supposed to revise for this exam!! Any advice??
Original post by alicejackson95
I really really dont understand how you're supposed to revise for this exam!! Any advice??

Yeah same, revision feels so aimless because there is no specification! What I am doing is reading about everything I can find on both the Darfield and the Christchurch earthquakes (prediction, impacts, management, immediate responses etc) and then making notes on it. Also looking at all of the figures in the book and seeing how they link, what the trends are etc. Also, make sure you thoroughly look at the websites on the back of the booklet because I think they can ask questions about it :smile: hope that helps!
Original post by alicejackson95

My teacher has told me not to over prepare and just make sure I know my way around the booklet

Posted from TSR Mobile
What do you mean know youre way around the booklet? Just like where different things are? Is there know actual figures and information that I need to learn for it?
Reply 79
For either of the earthquakes (Darfield or Christchurch) how were they prepared?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending