The Student Room Group

How many hours a day should I be studying for resits?

I am resitting A level maths and computer science. I was predicted As but got Cs. I want to resit to get into a good uni and study compsci.
It is only September and I have started studying again. I do about 3hrs intensive study a day. My dad and I argue constantly because he says I should be doing at least 7hrs a day from now until June.
I already have learnt all of the course content. To me it would just be wasted hours and I really don't think I need more than 3 hrs a day.
Reply 1
7 hours a day will burn you out completely by May time. You’ve studied these subjects for 2 years, so you have a firm grasp of the concepts. If you haven’t already, request to access your exam scripts and really take a look where you lost your marks, and prioritise the most time towards your weakest topics. It’s not always about time though, it’s also how you utilise it, e.g. 3 hours of passive reading will do you no favours as opposed to 3 hours of active recall/practice questions. Everyone has different study habits so play around a bit until you find what is best for you. Make sure you find a balance though! You’re on a gap year, so take breaks and don’t be too hard on yourself. Good luck :smile:
I'm currently in the process of resetting my A-levels in maths and computer science. Originally, I was predicted As, but I ended up with Cs, which was disappointing. My primary goal for resitting these exams is to improve my grades so I can secure a spot at a good university to study computer science.

It's only September, and I've already started my preparation. I dedicate about 3 hours a day to intensive studying. However, I've been facing constant arguments with my dad because he believes I should be putting in at least 7 hours a day from now until June.

The thing is, I've already covered all the course content. From my perspective, spending more than 3 hours a day studying would be counterproductive and might even lead to burnout. I genuinely believe that focused and efficient studying is more valuable than just clocking in hours. I want to strike the right balance between hard work and maintaining a healthy study routine.
Original post by shoaibraza134
I'm currently in the process of resetting my A-levels in maths and computer science. Originally, I was predicted As, but I ended up with Cs, which was disappointing. My primary goal for resitting these exams is to improve my grades so I can secure a spot at a good university to study computer science.

It's only September, and I've already started my preparation. I dedicate about 3 hours a day to intensive studying. However, I've been facing constant arguments with my dad because he believes I should be putting in at least 7 hours a day from now until June.

The thing is, I've already covered all the course content. From my perspective, spending more than 3 hours a day studying would be counterproductive and might even lead to burnout. I genuinely believe that focused and efficient studying is more valuable than just clocking in hours. I want to strike the right balance between hard work and maintaining a healthy study routine.

Hi, I'm in a similar position as you which exam board are you doing for computer science?
Reply 4
Original post by anormalstudent1
Hi, I'm in a similar position as you which exam board are you doing for computer science?

AQA. It's really hard to find a place to do the resits, though. My college doesn't do resits and the few places I can find that do computer science only do OCR.
Original post by broccolih
AQA. It's really hard to find a place to do the resits, though. My college doesn't do resits and the few places I can find that do computer science only do OCR.

I’m in the exact same potion as you I did AQA but now I’m forced to do OCR as my school doesn’t do resits and I can only find places that do OCR.
Reply 6

Have you found a place to resits for AQA computer science yet?
Reply 7
Original post by Zay_.
Have you found a place to resits for AQA computer science yet?

Hey! Luckily for me I ended up getting an unconditional offer from my first choice so won't be following through with my resits. However I did manage to find some places. I recommend looking into nearby private schools as a lot of them offer external candidates to sit their exams for a certain fee. Unfortunately for me (I am from south-west england) I couldn't find anywhere close that does AQA Computer Science. My top choices ended up being private schools in Swansea, Cardiff and London. I recommend going directly onto their school website and getting in touch with them. Just copy paste emails and send them to a bunch of places.
Fees can range from £250 - £400 per subject and will go up after January so I recommend looking sooner rather than later xx
Reply 8
Hey! Luckily for me I ended up getting an unconditional offer from my first choice so won't be following through with my resits. However I did manage to find some places. I recommend looking into nearby private schools as a lot of them offer external candidates to sit their exams for a certain fee. Unfortunately for me (I am from south-west england) I couldn't find anywhere close that does AQA Computer Science. My top choices ended up being private schools in Swansea, Cardiff and London. I recommend going directly onto their school website and getting in touch with them. Just copy paste emails and send them to a bunch of places.
Fees can range from £250 - £400 per subject and will go up after January so I recommend looking sooner rather than later xx

Hey i’m in a similar situation, i’m a contextual applicant but not sure if i’m guaranteed a contextual offer so thinking of resitting chem to better my chances. Can i still get an unconditional offer even if i say i’m resitting an alevel which i might not need to in the end?
Reply 9
Original post by Lime248
Hey i’m in a similar situation, i’m a contextual applicant but not sure if i’m guaranteed a contextual offer so thinking of resitting chem to better my chances. Can i still get an unconditional offer even if i say i’m resitting an alevel which i might not need to in the end?

Hiya! So I wrote that I am resitting in my UCAS application and in my personal statement.
My offer from Newcastle basically stated that if I attend their 5 day summer school, I will get an unconditional offer. I replied back asking if I need to do my resits anymore, as that’s what I stated on the UCAS - they just said it doesn’t matter whether I choose to do the exam or not.

Quick Reply

Latest