Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

It's bloody marvelous to be BRITISH- The Thread of Britishness. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Those are some spiffing gifs, OP. Here's a couple more for you:

God save our gracious queen!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Though they may deny it, Ireland will always be part of us. They are our brethren.
    Tell that to the pIRA.

ReputationRep:
    yes m8 who's ready for this tonight??

ReputationRep:
    Wait hold up

People are still patriotic in 2016???

smh people need to move forward rather than mindlessly supporting their place of birth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tai Ga)
    yes m8 who's ready for this tonight??

Oh I am!!

I do love a good roast.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stillridin)
    Wait hold up

People are still patriotic in 2016???

smh people need to move forward rather than mindlessly supporting their place of birth
    You can move forward and make things better but you can still be proud of where you live and were born. I'm very proud to be British. You should be too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cookie123456789)
    Say anything which is British!
    Eff off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookie123456789)
    You can move forward and make things better but you can still be proud of where you live and were born. I'm very proud to be British. You should be too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm not remotely proud to be part of country that in the past systematically slaughtered hundreds of thousands of indigenous peoples and actively promotes an outdated, partially undemocratic government.

However, that does not mean I am adverse to living here, I have great friends here and incredible memories, but I would never call myself a "proud Englishman" or any such mindless ****

I'd much prefer to be stateless

ReputationRep:
    Britain rules 🇬🇧 Being in any other country for holiday etc. makes me realise how great Britain is compared to other countries and how much I want to be back from the second I leave ❤️
    I love my country

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by govtandpolitics)
    Britain rules 🇬🇧 Being in any other country for holiday etc. makes me realise how great Britain is compared to other countries and how much I want to be back from the second I leave ❤️
    I love my country
    Yes! I found the exact same thing when I went abroad this holiday

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)

Brilliant

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 143
Size:  52.9 KB Attachment 576290576292
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    who else is in favour of cutting all foreign aid and starting a royal space navy, we shall create a space empire!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Don't let any Londoners see this thread, OP will be heralded as a dangerous racist for not tell us all how Britishess means celebrating 'diversity' and other such nonsense.
    Well obviously that too. That and black pudding.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Some of the world's best universities are here too. :yep:

Hence why people flock to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    While Britain certainly has its quirks, I can't be proud of a culture that promotes excessive consumption and idleness to the point where 2/3 of adults are overweight or obese.

Sort yourself out Britain, you're an embarrassment.
    Obesity is an epidemic right across the western world and is chiefly the result of US food manufacturers entering our markets with aggressively-marketed high fat and high sugar foods such as fizzy drinks, the burger culture and pre-packed meals and the mania for oversize portions. It is also the result of adding corn sugar (fructose) to most processed foods. Governments could easily stop it by declaring the products of these harmful industries to be illegal, which they should be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Some of the world's best universities are here too. :yep:

Hence why people flock to them.
    Lol, I love that Sir Humphrey line where he praises the best things about Britain - "Radio 3, cricket, the Royal Opera House, the universities - both of them".
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Lol, I love that Sir Humphrey line where he praises the best things about Britain - "Radio 3, cricket, the Royal Opera House, the universities - both of them".
    I was going to use that clip but it was a bit long-winded when my point was just the universities. Though I think that line might is one of the best in the entire series. I especially like how he begrudgingly says 'both of them' - he doesn't really want to count Cambridge, but kinda has to. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I was actually talking about the whole of Ireland, part of the British Isles and eventually (once again) part of the United Kingdom.

You have the minor inconvenience that there's little to no evidence that the north wants out.
    Ireland part of the British Isles is definite, but the Republic of Ireland is not part of the United Kingdom. Also, have you ever been to Northern Ireland? To Derry? Belfast? Hell, have you ever studied the relationship between Ireland and England in general? The IRA don't exist as a hobby. They don't just review books or knit garments in their spare time, they're a force for independence and unity. And they have a strong presence in places like Derry and Belfast (Derry more so). There hasn't been conflict for no reason. David Lloyd George essentially split the country in half and started a conflict that hasn't truly ended yet. So to say that there is little to no evidence that the north wants out is absolutely ridiculous. Yes, there are loyalists up there, but they are 50-50 to the republicans, which I'd say is significantly more than "little to no evidence".

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 1, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.