The Student Room Group

Saif al-Arab, son of Col Gaddafi KILLED by NATO Air strike

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jakemittle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw5Ij_RFJ1Q
Watch till the end (you can ignore Putin)

Also Gaddafi was in the same building apparently (but not the area which was bombed)

Quote from the video;
Now some officials have claimed that eliminating him was their goal

This sounds made up to me. The vagueness slightly discredits the video.

The video also mentioned Gaddafi's palaces being destroyed, what they failed to mention was whether or not they were being used for military purposes as they likely were.

The video sounds very much like conspiracy theorist propaganda.

Gaddafi was given his chance to stop the attacks on civilians. Its his own fault that he's in the mess that he is in now.
Original post by teshla^^

wow, this is big, its going to be interesting to see how the Arab league reacts
Original post by Darkphilosopher
Quote from the video;

This sounds made up to me. The vagueness slightly discredits the video.

The video also mentioned Gaddafi's palaces being destroyed, what they failed to mention was whether or not they were being used for military purposes as they likely were.

The video sounds very much like conspiracy theorist propaganda.

Gaddafi was given his chance to stop the attacks on civilians. Its his own fault that he's in the mess that he is in now.

What?..Gaddafi called for a ceasefire and talks twice!..Both times were rejected..what are you talking about?
What?..Gaddafi called for a ceasefire and talks twice!..Both times were rejected..what are you talking about?

The "no fly zone" was started because he refused to stop using military force against civilians.
That's what I'm talking about.

Not to mention, you can't call for a ceasefire while still firing rockets into a civilian city.
Reply 104
Doesnt matter, NATO have overstepped their mandate.
They are meant to impose a no-fly zone and protect civilians!
They were not even meant to take sides or try to kill Gaddafi!

But Britain and France and even to an extent the US have made it fairly clear they want regime change. They would get a UN resolution for it but Russia and China would never support it
Reply 105
UN resolution 1973 permits military action to protect Libyan civilians, which has been interpreted as covering Libyan military facilities, such as command and control centres, as well as military equipment in the field. It does not permit the specific targeting of individuals.
Original post by ussumane
UN resolution 1973 permits military action to protect Libyan civilians, which has been interpreted as covering Libyan military facilities, such as command and control centres, as well as military equipment in the field. It does not permit the specific targeting of individuals.

But how do we know whether or not he was a target or if he was collateral damage?
Reply 107

Because he constantly breaks his own ceasefires
This will only be a minor PR disaster for NATO. Gaddafi will do something bat**** crazy once more and the "ITS FOR OIL WESTERN IMPERIALISM GTFO" brigade will once again be marginalised lunatics.
Reply 109
Original post by Fusilero
But how do we know whether or not he was a target or if he was collateral damage?

You refering to Saif Al - Arab, right? That was certanly not intentional, but they were targeting Gaddafi.
There's a rather strange assumption going around that individuals were actually targeted.
Reply 111
Original post by algérie_mon_amour
The quote reminds me of what Israel used to say when they bombed a school and killeds tens of innocent children, just replacing Hamas with Gaddafi.

How we're used to such ridiculous lies.

Has mas is well know for using human shields though. As is Gadaffi.

Its hardly a lie if it has precedent.
Reply 112
Original post by Llamageddon
There's a rather strange assumption going around that individuals were actually targeted.

Gaddafi was.
Reply 113
BBC does not even have a picture of this guy. No one seems to know anything about him or who these other grandchildren are.
Surely the UN must realise they are looking for regime change now? The Arab League as well should come out and say something. I'm sure this strike was deliberate.
All the while Syrians are being killed on a daily basis and nothing is being said there ... oh wait, the British government revoked the Syrian Ambassador's invitation to the Royal Wedding! My bad.
Gaddafi was.
Unlikely. For one they almost certainly didn't know he was there.
Reply 116
Original post by Llamageddon
Unlikely. For one they almost certainly didn't know he was there.

So why would they attack the house? Nato wouldn't simply waste their time air striking every vila they can see on sight.
Kinda harsh if you ask me (killing and all) but i guess they have no other way?
Impossible to extirpate Gaddafi without harming others when he surrounds himself with civilians. Libyan's aren't exactly strangers to the concept of human shields. Remember this is the man who vowed to eliminate the second largest city in Libyan, children and all. If the leader remains, so will the war. I'm not sure whether the Security Council Resolution permits such actions though.
This is according to Libyan sources. Nuff said.

And anyway, if he did die, what does it matter, Gaddaffi seems to have a million children all twisted into his government.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending