The Student Room Group

GAMSAT 2016 (2017 entry)

Scroll to see replies

Don't worry I'm doing the same. March is more to take away the fear of the unknown ready for September. A chance to experience a 5.5 hour slog in real exam conditions. Shame it costs so damn much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Themightylaa
Don't worry I'm doing the same. March is more to take away the fear of the unknown ready for September. A chance to experience a 5.5 hour slog in real exam conditions. Shame it costs so damn much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The long test is really the reason I'm sitting in March. I would like to do ok in March but I'm not betting on it. The longest exam I've ever had was like 2.5 hours long so 5.5 hours is gonna be hard.

Lol I actually cried when I paid for it. I've started measuring the price of everything according to how many weeks of med school it would be for me (living expenses). I saw a dress a few weeks ago and I was like no that's 2 weeks of medical school!
Original post by lyra1987
All I can go on is what the admissions department have told me. They told me 60 applicants for 13 places.

They did not tell me how many have actually interviewed. I have no idea how many might have offers elsewhere (how would I know?).

Besides even if others have offers for other unis this would not determine if Exeter offered them a place or not. They simply go on interview scores. Many may also be in the same boat as myself where they missed the cut off for other courses but got lucky with Exeter offering interviews based on an overall GAMSAT score rather than individual sections.

No, I meant if students had offers at other places they might me be more likely to choose another university. Does Exeter not have a waiting list for grad students, or does it just fill unfilled places with undergrad students
Have no idea if they have a waiting list or not. I would imagine they might as they said they aim for the intake to be 10% graduates.
Have no idea if they have a waiting list or not. I would imagine they might as they said they aim for the intake to be 10% graduates.
Just to be clear, if you have been rejected via track, it is no longer possible that you're on a waiting list?
(edited 8 years ago)
Not rejected yet! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Going insane waiting to hear back either way. Anticipating the 27th at the earliest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not rejected yet! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry, that was meant to be posed as a question, the question mark didn't add for some reason.
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
Definitely physics. Ive actually just given up on it. I finish work at 8pm so I come home tired and ready to go to sleep so I don't even have time for it. I'm actually using March as kind of a mock paper.A very expensive mock paper.
Take solace in the fact that I only really learned Lenses/Mirrors for Physics and couldn't answer the Qs on it in the exam and still scored 61 in science. I didn't see many physics questions in Sept, there must have been less than 10. However, if you have time on your side, it's worthwhile to try and learn like at least 1 topic from it.

Orgo isn't bad once you understand it. I've forgotten all of it since Sept, so it feels like starting from scratch even though it was my strongest area going in last time.
Original post by Es0phagus
Take solace in the fact that I only really learned Lenses/Mirrors for Physics and couldn't answer the Qs on it in the exam and still scored 61 in science. I didn't see many physics questions in Sept, there must have been less than 10. However, if you have time on your side, it's worthwhile to try and learn like at least 1 topic from it.

Orgo isn't bad once you understand it. I've forgotten all of it since Sept, so it feels like starting from scratch even though it was my strongest area going in last time.

Yeah I'm probably going to try and brush up on some physics in the coming weeks but organic chem and bio (especially graphs) are my focus atm. Now i've quit my job I'll have lots of time to study.

Did you learn organic chemistry quickly?
Yeah I'm probably going to try and brush up on some physics in the coming weeks but organic chem and bio (especially graphs) are my focus atm. Now i've quit my job I'll have lots of time to study.

Did you learn organic chemistry quickly?
Not really, I tried a variety of sources to really understand it, a few chapters from introductory books, YT videos etc. but orgo did make learning general chem (slightly) faster.
Reply 111
I was just wondering what happens if you can't attend the test centre that they allocate you to? I can do London or Liverpool but if they are full and I get allocated somewhere else I wouldn't be able to go. Has anyone else had this problem? I can't decide whether to just go for it in Sept and register as soon as it opens.
Original post by no-h
I was just wondering what happens if you can't attend the test centre that they allocate you to? I can do London or Liverpool but if they are full and I get allocated somewhere else I wouldn't be able to go. Has anyone else had this problem? I can't decide whether to just go for it in Sept and register as soon as it opens.

I thought that you would sit the test in whatever city you applied for?
I thought that you would sit the test in whatever city you applied for?

No you pick a preferred location but I don't know when it gets allocated to you, I think it's like 2 weeks before the exam which is pretty crap. I've asked for Liverpool and I really need that one. I don't have the money to be buying hotels in London or flying to Dublin.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 114
That's what I thought it was - 2 weeks before the exam. So weighing up whether to shell out the money and hope I get London or Liverpool or just wait until sept.
No you pick a preferred location but I don't know when it gets allocated to you, I think it's like 2 weeks before the exam which is pretty crap. I've asked for Liverpool and I really need that one. I don't have the money to be buying hotels in London or flying to Dublin.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So I could end up sitting it in Liverpool?
Is everyone taking the March as a trial? I was unaware this was possible and am worried that I will be one of a handful taking the September for the first time. I am just definitely not ready for the March exam :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anatomyjane
Is everyone taking the March as a trial? I was unaware this was possible and am worried that I will be one of a handful taking the September for the first time. I am just definitely not ready for the March exam :frown:

Not everyone takes it as a trial. Some people just want to apply knowing what their results are.

I'm not ready for March either. I'm trying not to think about it lol.
Not everyone takes it as a trial. Some people just want to apply knowing what their results are.

I'm not ready for March either. I'm trying not to think about it lol.

I wish you all the best of luck! You'll have to let me know how it goes. I feel at a disadvantage by not sitting it, so any feedback would be most welcome! Also, any good study tips for the organic chem side of things? I am going through A-Level chem books at the moment and it is most definitely my weakest!
Original post by anatomyjane
I wish you all the best of luck! You'll have to let me know how it goes. I feel at a disadvantage by not sitting it, so any feedback would be most welcome! Also, any good study tips for the organic chem side of things? I am going through A-Level chem books at the moment and it is most definitely my weakest!

Thanks!

I'll let you know how it goes.

I find organic chemistry easier than physical chemistry. I'm so bad at physical chemistry ( :frown: )

I go through A Level papers and MCAT Examkrackers a lot with chemistry. I think it's a matter of going through the material as often and as much as you can.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending