The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

No I'm sure the only reason why we have 19 Arsenal threads on TSR is simply because there are more reasons to wind up their fans than fans of other big clubs.
Reply 121
Original post by Pete_91
Anyone think we should just keep Verm as our backup LB? He's more defensive minded so he's a good alternative to Gibbs and we can then sell Nacho and buy another CB. Utility players are always useful.

This is an interesting thought, considering he didn't do too bad as LB in the match against West Ham and with more experience, he would be defo better than monreal, who is unreally rubbish.
Original post by SHOO
Wow, giroud has three goals less than sturridge.. That's.. Weird lol

But having said that.. Suarez has 29 haha

There's the fact one plays in europe and the other doesn't, there's the fact that one has been injured for at least 2 months this season while Giroud has been fit for pretty much the whole season.

There's the other fact that in the league where both players play(so an actual comparison can be made) that Sturridge has 6 more goals than Giroud in 6 less appearances despite him being a "supporting act" for Suarez.

Finally, Sturridge has had 30 appearances, Giroud has had 45 this season. Law of averages means that Giroud should have a higher goal tally or one comparable to sturridge.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Setsuna
This is an interesting thought, considering he didn't do too bad as LB in the match against West Ham and with more experience, he would be defo better than monreal, who is unreally rubbish.

To be fair Nacho was a far better LB than Santos (which was pretty much the reason he joined us)... And verm was pretty good back there considering

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 124
Original post by jam277
There's the fact one plays in europe and the other doesn't, there's the fact that one has been injured for at least 2 months this season while Giroud has been fit for pretty much the whole season.

There's the other fact that in the league where both players play(so an actual comparison can be made) that Sturridge has 6 more goals than Giroud in 6 less appearances despite him being a "supporting act" for Suarez.

Finally, Sturridge has had 30 appearances, Giroud has had 45 this season. Law of averages means that Giroud should have a higher goal tally or one comparable to sturridge.

Oh that stat was not including Europe.. Just BPL and FA cup.

Don't worry, I'm not in any way implying that Giroud is better - trust me on that.

What I meant by that is that going back to the point I made last night. If Giroud can get 20 goals thus far, imagine what a more competant striker would have got :O
Reply 125
Original post by FKLW
Sturridge has been in... Oh forget it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

LOL na I know he's been injured, and that giroud has made more appearances etc etc. But 20 goals is a good achievement.. And imagine if we had a more competant striker? That would have been in the high 20s don't you think :O

Edit: like I said to jam.. I'm not implying that giroud is better either.. Really I'm not
Even though remy isn't really that great a player id reckon he'd thrive in our system and would score way more goals than giroud.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Really? I've never really thought of it like that. You're right in every sense, I just saw it as a way of not disappointing ozil because let's be honest RM to Arsenal is a slight step down rather than the other way round. I want to do it for Koscielny as well, last season he said he'll leave if we didn't win anything this year, I just really like the guy. But most importantly Sagna, Wenger and of course the fans like you said.

I agree with this tbh. It really is the last straw for a few of our player imo. Verm, Sagna, Kosc and Cazorla if we don't happen to pick up the FA cup, they'll become frustrated and impatient, Ozil will wonder what could have been. But we'll most likely win it though, and Ozil will then finally feel at home. Sagna deserves to lift the trophy if we do, the guy's been a unsung hero for the most part and hasn't been rewarded for his efforts.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Birdman1234567
I agree with this tbh. It really is the last straw for a few of our player imo. Verm, Sagna, Kosc and Cazorla if we don't happen to pick up the FA cup, they'll become frustrated and impatient, Ozil will wonder what could have been. But we'll most likely win it though, and Ozil will then finally feel at home. Sagna deserves to lift the trophy if we do, the guy's been a unsung hero for the most part and hasn't been rewarded for his efforts.

imo rosicky should be, the guys 33 and somehow sets the pace of the game when walcott and ox have been out, he's so direct. deffo my fave player this season.
Original post by Birdman1234567

Cazorla joined in 2012. He must be one impatient individual. Agree with Sagna and Vermaelen. But in what way does the club owe Koscielny a trophy after his legendary performance in the Carling cup final? He needs to slap if he thinks so because it should be the other way around.
Original post by Mr Smurf
Cazorla joined in 2012. He must be one impatient individual. Agree with Sagna and Vermaelen. But in what way does the club owe Koscielny a trophy after his legendary performance in the Carling cup final? He needs to slap if he thinks so because it should be the other way around.

He's been our best defender the past two seasons. He always give 100% for Arsenal. We need to get him to sign a new contract ASAP. Barca and Bayern need central defenders. Whoever comes in at Barca defence is going to the first priority.
Sagna is almost definitely leaving I think. hopefully not to another Prem club, its annoying how he has only learnt how to cross consistently this season!

If we do get Sebastian Jung, we will be adding another German to our ranks lol.
Original post by Mr Smurf

I don't think the club owes kosc or Cazorla a trophy, I'm just suggesting that if we don't pick up the FA cup, next season will probably be their last (assuming we don't win anything in the process).
Reply 133
Rosicky has been here for 8 years, Sagna 7. Walcott 9.

If anyone in our squad "deserves" to win a trophy it's these 3. Honourable mention Vermaelan for 5 years but he hasn't been as good as the above 3, especially this season.

Almost everyone else is recent (i.e 4 years at most) but please correct me if I'm wrong cause I may be. Koscielny hasn't really been as great until this season and if he wants to leave then he can **** off. Papers gossiping about how PSG want him etc but not gonna go into it. Pisses me off when players like Cazorla spout to the papers about how we don't have the winning mentality but then Cazorla has been completely on and off this season yet he thinks he's suited for a title winning team. Ozil owes us a lot next season, he really does. For 40m+ this season was not acceptable but I do excuse him since it's his first season and everyone has a bad spell. Half the team hardly act like they even want a trophy. We act all happy and confident beating the small teams but when we get thrashed 6-3/5-1/6-0 to the top teams, Wilshere flips some one off, Cazorla probably blames everyone else but him in his mind, Giroud sticks his tongue out and smiles it off after a horrible performance, and then there is Schezny thinking "nah, better save the selfie for next game".
Arteta is probably too out of breath and energy to say anything, after running slower than a pensioner.

Why am I ranting :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Koscielny has improved a lot his first season he wasn't very good and on top of that he ****ed up massively in the League Cup Final.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Another one?
Original post by SHOO
LOL na I know he's been injured, and that giroud has made more appearances etc etc. But 20 goals is a good achievement.. And imagine if we had a more competant striker? That would have been in the high 20s don't you think :O

Edit: like I said to jam.. I'm not implying that giroud is better either.. Really I'm not

He could go on a Thierry Henry-esque goal scoring run from now until the end of the season and I still wouldn't think he is good enough as a first choice striker.
If we get a new WC striker this summer window I wouldn't mind seeing Sanogo go on loan to a decent PL side like Lukaku did.
Original post by AR_95
Rosicky has been here for 8 years, Sagna 7. Walcott 9.

If anyone in our squad "deserves" to win a trophy it's these 3. Honourable mention Vermaelan for 5 years but he hasn't been as good as the above 3, especially this season.

Almost everyone else is recent (i.e 4 years at most) but please correct me if I'm wrong cause I may be. Koscielny hasn't really been as great until this season and if he wants to leave then he can **** off. Papers gossiping about how PSG want him etc but not gonna go into it.

Koscielny had a decent season prior to this one.

Pisses me off when players like Cazorla spout to the papers about how we don't have the winning mentality but then Cazorla has been completely on and off this season yet he thinks he's suited for a title winning team. Ozil owes us a lot next season, he really does. For 40m+ this season was not acceptable but I do excuse him since it's his first season and everyone has a bad spell.

First, Ozil didn't have a say in his transfer fee. And second, he's a scrawny midget who moved from La Liga to the Premier League, and has an incredible amount of pressure on his shoulders because of his transfer fee - what did you honestly expect was going to occur?

Half the team hardly act like they even want a trophy. We act all happy and confident beating the small teams but when we get thrashed 6-3/5-1/6-0 to the top teams, Wilshere flips some one off, Cazorla probably blames everyone else but him in his mind, Giroud sticks his tongue out and smiles it off after a horrible performance, and then there is Schezny thinking "nah, better save the selfie for next game".

And all of this is down to the players rather than the way the team have been set up to play? The vast majority of goals during those disastrous results happened because we play with such a high line and our FBs are told to bomb forward constantly.

Mertesacker and Arteta are two tortoises - thus it's pretty much Koscielny and Flamini vs Suarez/Sturridge/Sterling or Eto'o/Schurrle/Hazard/Oscar or Aguero/Silva/Navas/Nasri.

Not only that, but we're far too predictable and slow in our approach, and have no pace on the wings because Walcott's out and the OX is played in midfield.

With that in mind, Wenger, strangely enough, refuses to change the manner in which we play, and that's, largely, the reason why we've conceded so many against our rivals.

Arteta is probably too out of breath and energy to say anything, after running slower than a pensioner.

First thing you've said in this post that makes sense.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 139
Original post by Stalin
Koscielny had a decent season prior to this one.

First, Ozil didn't have a say in his transfer fee. And second, he's a scrawny midget who moved from La Liga to the Premier League, and has an incredible amount of pressure on his shoulders because of his transfer fee - what did you honestly expect was going to occur?

And all of this is down to the players rather than the way the team have been set up to play? The vast majority of goals during those disastrous results happened because we play with such a high line and our FBs are told to bomb forward constantly.

Mertesacker and Arteta are two tortoises - thus it's pretty much Koscielny vs Suarez/Sturridge/Sterling or Eto'o/Schurrle/Hazard/Oscar or Aguero/Silva/Navas/Nasri.

Not only that, but we're far too predictable and slow in our approach, and have no pace on the wings because Walcott's out and the OX is played in midfield.

With that in mind, Wenger, strangely enough, refuses to change the manner in which we play, and that's, largely, the reason why we've conceded so many against our rivals.

First thing you've said in this post that makes sense.

But I wasn't actually complaining about the way we play, our tactics, or anything in that matter. The post was regarding the discussion above about " who deserves a trophy" and only that.
Also, about Ozil, I did say "I excuse him", sounds a bit pretentious, I should have said "I don't blame him". I mostly said this because of the same reasons you've stated. None the less my point stands that Arsenal do not owe him a trophy.

Fair enough about Koscileny and that's down to my own ignorance. I haven't really kept up with football for a long, long time, this being the first season in a while. I don't disregard his performance this year, it's been stellar. It just seemed to me like he's improved a hell of a lot more this season compared to last.

Either way, you can't deny that we've been lacking a bit of winning mentality, or hunger. The hunger that Liverpool are showing right now.
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest