The Student Room Group

The 2.1 requirement is a joke

Scroll to see replies

I used to recruit for executive roles within the management consulting and technology sector.
University plays a huge role in whether a company will be interested in a candidate as you all know. But if the candidate has a 2.2...they will not be considered. Point blank period.
It is NOT lazy recruiting. It's specific guidelines given by the company. A 2.2 simply doesn't cut it whether you studied at Cambridge or Manchester Met. It's that simple.
Original post by james22
Trivially true fact.

I remember when I was at uni, you had people who did harder modules in their degree because they thought it would impress employers.

They ended up getting a 2.2 as a result.

If you are smart you will realise that the aim for an UG degree is to get the 2.1, than after you have got that, you do a masters in a subject that interests you.

I didn't have to go to a top 10 uni to figure that one out!
Original post by fat_hobbit
I remember when I was at uni, you had people who did harder modules in their degree because they thought it would impress employers.

They ended up getting a 2.2 as a result.

If you are smart you will realise that the aim for an UG degree is to get the 2.1, than after you have got that, you do a masters in a subject that interests you.

I didn't have to go to a top 10 uni to figure that one out!

I'm not really sure what your point is.
Original post by james22

That the OPs strategy for getting a 2.1 was probably doomed from the outset.
Original post by fat_hobbit
That the OPs strategy for getting a 2.1 was probably doomed from the outset.

So?
Original post by james22

In others words you don't get rewarded for doing a hard degree. A smart person knows their limits and works within them. Similarly working in a business environment and being over ambitious will only be deemed as foolishness.
A 2:1 is a reasonable benchmark, however, it's not like every job requires that (I've seen a considerable amount of jobs with 2:2 requirements).

Just stop bitching and moaning, you picked that degree and should have realised it's "considerably hard to get a 2:1" and accepted the possible repercussions of that... you can't do anything to change it so you may as well just embrace it rather than thinking you're too good for the jobs on offer to you.

Also, at least your degree is from Warwick, which puts you a hell of a lot higher than 2:2s from non-Russell Group Universities... considering your course it probably puts you in better stead than a lot of 2:1 humanities degrees from average Universities. I'm sure there are circumstances in which you can email some graduate schemes and explain the degree you did and see it there is any room for leniency - I know people who have been successful with bending the A-Level requirements.
Original post by Nomes89
In others words you don't get rewarded for doing a hard degree. A smart person knows their limits and works within them. Similarly working in a business environment and being over ambitious will only be deemed as foolishness.

yeah, that.

Work smart, not hard.

OP will also find that for most grad jobs, his degree is useless.
Original post by Nomes89

Not sure why all of this is being directed at me. All I said was that a 2.2 from MORSE at Wawrick is hard to get than a 2.1 from many other places. I've been replied to several times now, all the replies seem to be talking about something completely different to what I was saying.
Original post by james22
Not sure why all of this is being directed at me. All I said was that a 2.2 from MORSE at Wawrick is hard to get than a 2.1 from many other places. I've been replied to several times now, all the replies seem to be talking about something completely different to what I was saying.

You are completely ignoring what people are trying to tell you.
REGARDLESS of which is harder...a 2.2 is a 2.2!!!
Original post by ldsbabe
You are completely ignoring what people are trying to tell you.
REGARDLESS of which is harder...a 2.2 is a 2.2!!!

What people are telling me isn't something I have ever commented on. I have never made any argument contrary to what everyone is saying. Can you please read what I put originally, and say how any of this is directly related to that? I never mentioned employers, or anything like that. I was only talking about difficulty of the degree.
It is an unfair system as 2:2s are all different and there is so much more to a person than their degree classification. But recruiters don't care about fair - it makes their job easier to block a chunk of applicants from applying when those applicants were probably lazy during their time at university. Some jobs will have hundreds of applicants; many who will be good enough to do the job so why would they bother with people who have unachieved? They may be missing out of the perfect applicant but it's likely that they can find someone just as good or better from those who got 2:1s and 1sts.
Original post by a10
You do know that grade offers increase due to popularity of the course and do not represent the course difficulty in any way...

the standard offer for maths at Cambridge is A*AA and 11 in STEP II & III. that represents the course difficulty very well, maths at cambridge is considered one of the, if not the, hardest degree in the world. many people who get A* in maths and further maths really struggle with STEP.
Original post by james22

I just explained where fat_hobbit was coming from.

Ok if you weren't trying to say that it should matter, I don't see what the point of mentioning it's a harder degree was?
Original post by Nomes89
I just explained where fat_hobbit was coming from.

Ok if you weren't trying to say that it should matter, I don't see what the point of mentioning it's a harder degree was?

The person I quoted implied (or at least I got the impression that they thought this) that the difficulty of the degree was fairly consistent. This is what I was arguing against, because the difficulty of degrees varies hugely.
Original post by james22
The person I quoted implied (or at least I got the impression that they thought this) that the difficulty of the degree was fairly consistent. This is what I was arguing against, because the difficulty of degrees varies hugely.

Yes, difficulties in degrees varies.

STEM subjects are harder generally with higher drop out rates.

Ivy league unis probably have more rigorous degrees, even that is questionable - outside of oxbridge, it is not that much different.

Sloane went to KCL and did geography, he found it really easy - the essay writing, and that is not because he is a genius either.

But you know what, employers do not discriminate, the whole system is a bit of a mess tbh.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by james22

I'm not sure anyone's suggested all degrees are equal, rather that 2.1s from lesser universities still require hard work. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
Original post by donutaud15
As I've previously mentioned my husband have really bad A level grades and yet he's got a job at a very good company so I beg to differ.

The fact that OP who has good A levels created this thread also explains a lot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Jobs are reflective of salary, so many jobs nowadays add the word manager next to it. Still a non decision maker who can't book a table in a restaurant.Having bad A-Levels holds people back 90% of the time. Fine me a CEO of a large corporate company, that doesn't have a strong academic background.
Original post by Nomes89
I'm not sure anyone's suggested all degrees are equal, rather that 2.1s from lesser universities still require hard work. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

He also doesn't seem to understand that anyone who gets a 2:1 from a 'lesser' uni can quite easily go do a masters at a RG/top uni, it still won't get them past the application filtering stage.
Original post by SloaneRanger
Jobs are reflective of salary, so many jobs nowadays add the word manager next to it. Still a non decision maker who can't book a table in a restaurant.Having bad A-Levels holds people back 90% of the time. Fine me a CEO of a large corporate company, that doesn't have a strong academic background.

Steve Jobs. Drop out.

Alan Sugar. East end cockney.

James Caan -dragons den.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending