The Student Room Group

The Uni Study Thread Mark IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
It is very hard to keep in touch with reps, i know. We have had a couple of decent ones but they gave up because the faculty ignored us anyway.

We complained about the following last year:
- a lecturer who dismissed our problems. If we didn't understand the material it was our fault.
- a lecturer who didn't really lecture. Just read from a piece of paper and walked around a lot. He never let us ask questions and never stuck to the topic. He would whinge every ten minutes about the declining attendance.
- the emails system not working

And these problems never got sorted. The faculty would have meetings with the reps and the reps would leave pissed off.

thats a shame. The lecturers who deal with our concerns do take it very seriously and we have seen some changes here although they can't do much about our terrible administration system
Original post by jelly1000
thats a shame. The lecturers who deal with our concerns do take it very seriously and we have seen some changes here although they can't do much about our terrible administration system

Some of our lecturers are okay but the lawyers, especially the barristers, are obnoxious.

Well it's something at least! Why only £10 though? Most tutors I know earn at least £15, student tutors included.

Yeah, I started off as £10 an hour, but I forgot to change it to £15 after my first student. It's been quite a while until I got an email regarding a second student... I thought I did but nope... Tis a sad story my friend... plus with the bus day rider fares £4, I dont actually keep much of the £10 I earn :facepalm: I wonder how much a weekly ticket costs... (I will update :tongue:)

EDIT: Okay so a weekly bus pass is £14.50. If I keep paying each day I have a session on, depending if I still do the three sessions as planned, then it'd work out to be £12 a week, since it'll only be for three days. However, one of the postgrads students who also works in the office might be interested in tuition for her son. If so, I'll see to it that I purchase a weekly pass. Only thing is, if I do buy one of these, I know I'll become ever so lazy and just keep using the bus all the time..................... but they'd be the cheaper option since I'm broke at the moment -____-'
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MyName??!
Yeah, I started off as £10 an hour, but I forgot to change it to £15 after my first student. It's been quite a while until I got an email regarding a second student... I thought I did but nope... Tis a sad story my friend... plus with the bus day rider fares £4, I dont actually keep much of the £10 I earn :facepalm: I wonder how much a weekly ticket costs... (I will update :tongue:)

EDIT: Okay so a weekly bus pass is £14.50. If I keep paying each day I have a session on, depending if I still do the three sessions as planned, then it'd work out to be £12 a week, since it'll only be for three days. However, one of the postgrads students who also works in the office might be interested in tuition for her son. If so, I'll see to it that I purchase a weekly pass. Only thing is, if I do buy one of these, I know I'll become ever so lazy and just keep using the bus all the time..................... but they'd be the cheaper option since I'm broke at the moment -____-'

Yikes. You're justified in raising it to £15 now, no?
Yikes. You're justified in raising it to £15 now, no?

Definitely, just a case of will the student be happy with this change or not. Then again, me no want any problems :frown: She might've contacted me cos of how cheap it was o.O
Original post by MyName??!
Definitely, just a case of will the student be happy with this change or not. Then again, me no want any problems :frown: She might've contacted me cos of how cheap it was o.O

lol yeah I was surprised by how cheap it was too. I got used to paying upwards of £40 per hour for private tutors. Well, I didn't. My parents got used to it. But I was a lazy sod who never went to classes and slummed it all through school and sixth form so they had no choice but to pay for the tutors.
68% voted in favour of my motion to mandate the education officer to look into abolishing Saturday exams. I'm pleased it was accepted, but shocked 32% of people said no!!

Anyway they wanted me to go to the front to speak!! I didn't have to in the end thankfully!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haven't posted on here in a while but I'm back again. :smile: Got my provisional results today. Not happy with them considering how hard I worked last semester. (I'll put them in a spoiler if any of you want to know how I did. I hate telling people my results. My boss is the only one that knows them so far. :redface:)

My pay is extremely low in my placement job so like NoName I also work as a tutor. I get €15 an hour for two students and €10 from another student. (In Euros as I'm in Germany. In case I haven't mentioned that for like the 20th time on here. :biggrin:)

I love my job here but there was a small incident at work today and I have to talk about it tomorrow. Just not so sure how I should approach it. :frown:

Spoiler

Oh guys, what a few weeks its been.

I think everyone has finally stopped mentioning my ex and the break up, thank god. It was really grating on me hearing about it so much, but I'm glad everyone's moved on. He was out on Tuesday when I was working and was pulling a girl so he can't use the pity card anymore, either :woo:. I actually want him to get a gf so I can pull whoever and people can't be all "awk poor him" to me. Poor girl tho... She has no idea what she's getting into :lolwut:.
I also lost my granda last week. It was his funeral on Tuesday, which was tough. I went into work on Tuesday night (wanted to be busy), and they'd put me on the bar area which I hate, and I ended up crying at the thought of doing it. Managers said I could go home and that was fine but I wanted to work, so I was glad when they moved me into a different room. Things weren't that bad in the end (not gonna say what happened but lets just say... cute guy. Nothings ever gonna happen but I can perve :teehee:). Anyway, to add to that, I have a really sore throat. My neck and glands are really sore, so I've taken 2 amoxicillin. Don't wanna ring in sick as I feel fine apart from that, and I need the money.

I also have a lot of dissertation work to do for next week, which I'm yet to start. And I'm going out tomorrow and Sunday night drinking, and I'm working Saturday night. Don't even care. I'm pretty done with my degree, plus my ****ty results are out next week. Don't even care what I've got.

I was definitely feeling very down last week (I actually posted in here but deleted the post almost straight away, it was pretty much 100% wallowing in self pity lmao), but I'm feeling a bit better this week. I almost had a panic attack in my seminar on Monday (lecturer noticed I was looking very panicked, but he just made a joke saying "not all of them are gonna last this long, Lindsay!"). It was awful though, I've never felt so trapped. Meh :frown:
Original post by snailsareslimy

I'm sorry to hear this. :frown: :hugs:
Glad you're feeling a bit better this week though. :frown:
xxx

Feel hugged! Sorry for your loss. Today it's been exactly one year that my grandma died and it's been a toll on my mood a bit. Allow yourself to grieve a bit!

_______

Back to revision for me. Need to sift through notes on urine specimen. :colonhash:
Oh guys, what a few weeks its been.

I think everyone has finally stopped mentioning my ex and the break up, thank god. It was really grating on me hearing about it so much, but I'm glad everyone's moved on. He was out on Tuesday when I was working and was pulling a girl so he can't use the pity card anymore, either :woo:. I actually want him to get a gf so I can pull whoever and people can't be all "awk poor him" to me. Poor girl tho... She has no idea what she's getting into :lolwut:.
I also lost my granda last week. It was his funeral on Tuesday, which was tough. I went into work on Tuesday night (wanted to be busy), and they'd put me on the bar area which I hate, and I ended up crying at the thought of doing it. Managers said I could go home and that was fine but I wanted to work, so I was glad when they moved me into a different room. Things weren't that bad in the end (not gonna say what happened but lets just say... cute guy. Nothings ever gonna happen but I can perve :teehee:). Anyway, to add to that, I have a really sore throat. My neck and glands are really sore, so I've taken 2 amoxicillin. Don't wanna ring in sick as I feel fine apart from that, and I need the money.

I also have a lot of dissertation work to do for next week, which I'm yet to start. And I'm going out tomorrow and Sunday night drinking, and I'm working Saturday night. Don't even care. I'm pretty done with my degree, plus my ****ty results are out next week. Don't even care what I've got.

I was definitely feeling very down last week (I actually posted in here but deleted the post almost straight away, it was pretty much 100% wallowing in self pity lmao), but I'm feeling a bit better this week. I almost had a panic attack in my seminar on Monday (lecturer noticed I was looking very panicked, but he just made a joke saying "not all of them are gonna last this long, Lindsay!"). It was awful though, I've never felt so trapped. Meh :frown:

sorry for your loss, hope things pick up soon
Applying for a bursary for my project and I have to fill in a long box explaining my career goals.. 😧😧😧 don't know what to say!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Planning to do the end of week tidy (where room is absolute tip because I have been running around / stressing all week and chucked everything on floor), eat a late lunch, then do some work - this is the most positive/motivated I've felt for a while!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Slowbro93

Random question, but is "research community" a term used to describe like people that research things in maths?? I basically want to write a sentence along the lines of I'd love to contribute to the "research community" but I have no idea what the correct term would be! :colondollar: (I hope this doesn't sound too stupid of a question)
Original post by rayquaza17
Random question, but is "research community" a term used to describe like people that research things in maths?? I basically want to write a sentence along the lines of I'd love to contribute to the "research community" but I have no idea what the correct term would be! :colondollar: (I hope this doesn't sound too stupid of a question)

I'd just state I'd love to help develop and seek new ways in extending the boundaries on what is already known in the research world, or something along those lines anyway :smile:
Original post by MathsNerd1
I'd just state I'd love to help develop and seek new ways in extending the boundaries on what is already known in the research world, or something along those lines anyway :smile:

Ooo thank you so much!
Hope semester 2 is going well for you. :smile:
Ooo thank you so much!
Hope semester 2 is going well for you. :smile:

Happy to help :smile: And it's not too bad, all but one module are enjoyable, the final one is just a bore! But I get my results on Tuesday, so my thoughts could change about how I should do!

Hope this semester is going well for you as well :smile:

Yeah as mathsnerd has said, its showing you want to contribute and develop to what is out there. What area of maths are toy thinking?

---

Sorry I've been a bit AWOL recently, work has actually been busy :tongue: SAS sorry for your loss :frown:
She doesn't like me by the looks of if :frown: why do I even ****ing bother? :sigh:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending