The Uni Study Thread Mark IV Watch

jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by paniking_and_not_revising)
It is very hard to keep in touch with reps, i know. We have had a couple of decent ones but they gave up because the faculty ignored us anyway.

We complained about the following last year:
- a lecturer who dismissed our problems. If we didn't understand the material it was our fault.
- a lecturer who didn't really lecture. Just read from a piece of paper and walked around a lot. He never let us ask questions and never stuck to the topic. He would whinge every ten minutes about the declining attendance.
- the emails system not working

And these problems never got sorted. The faculty would have meetings with the reps and the reps would leave pissed off.
thats a shame. The lecturers who deal with our concerns do take it very seriously and we have seen some changes here although they can't do much about our terrible administration system
paniking_and_not_revising
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jelly1000)
thats a shame. The lecturers who deal with our concerns do take it very seriously and we have seen some changes here although they can't do much about our terrible administration system
Some of our lecturers are okay but the lawyers, especially the barristers, are obnoxious.
MyName??!
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Well it's something at least! Why only £10 though? Most tutors I know earn at least £15, student tutors included.

Yeah, I started off as £10 an hour, but I forgot to change it to £15 after my first student. It's been quite a while until I got an email regarding a second student... I thought I did but nope... Tis a sad story my friend... plus with the bus day rider fares £4, I dont actually keep much of the £10 I earn :facepalm: I wonder how much a weekly ticket costs... (I will update )

EDIT: Okay so a weekly bus pass is £14.50. If I keep paying each day I have a session on, depending if I still do the three sessions as planned, then it'd work out to be £12 a week, since it'll only be for three days. However, one of the postgrads students who also works in the office might be interested in tuition for her son. If so, I'll see to it that I purchase a weekly pass. Only thing is, if I do buy one of these, I know I'll become ever so lazy and just keep using the bus all the time..................... but they'd be the cheaper option since I'm broke at the moment -____-'
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MyName??!)
Yeah, I started off as £10 an hour, but I forgot to change it to £15 after my first student. It's been quite a while until I got an email regarding a second student... I thought I did but nope... Tis a sad story my friend... plus with the bus day rider fares £4, I dont actually keep much of the £10 I earn :facepalm: I wonder how much a weekly ticket costs... (I will update )

EDIT: Okay so a weekly bus pass is £14.50. If I keep paying each day I have a session on, depending if I still do the three sessions as planned, then it'd work out to be £12 a week, since it'll only be for three days. However, one of the postgrads students who also works in the office might be interested in tuition for her son. If so, I'll see to it that I purchase a weekly pass. Only thing is, if I do buy one of these, I know I'll become ever so lazy and just keep using the bus all the time..................... but they'd be the cheaper option since I'm broke at the moment -____-'
Yikes. You're justified in raising it to £15 now, no?
MyName??!
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Yikes. You're justified in raising it to £15 now, no?
Definitely, just a case of will the student be happy with this change or not. Then again, me no want any problems She might've contacted me cos of how cheap it was o.O
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MyName??!)
Definitely, just a case of will the student be happy with this change or not. Then again, me no want any problems She might've contacted me cos of how cheap it was o.O
lol yeah I was surprised by how cheap it was too. I got used to paying upwards of £40 per hour for private tutors. Well, I didn't. My parents got used to it. But I was a lazy sod who never went to classes and slummed it all through school and sixth form so they had no choice but to pay for the tutors.
rayquaza17
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
68% voted in favour of my motion to mandate the education officer to look into abolishing Saturday exams. I'm pleased it was accepted, but shocked 32% of people said no!!

Anyway they wanted me to go to the front to speak!! I didn't have to in the end thankfully!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Elphaba Thropp
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Haven't posted on here in a while but I'm back again. Got my provisional results today. Not happy with them considering how hard I worked last semester. (I'll put them in a spoiler if any of you want to know how I did. I hate telling people my results. My boss is the only one that knows them so far. )

My pay is extremely low in my placement job so like NoName I also work as a tutor. I get €15 an hour for two students and €10 from another student. (In Euros as I'm in Germany. In case I haven't mentioned that for like the 20th time on here. )

I love my job here but there was a small incident at work today and I have to talk about it tomorrow. Just not so sure how I should approach it.

Spoiler:
Show
German A2, German Literature B1, French B1, Marketing B2, Language Technology B3
snailsareslimy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oh guys, what a few weeks its been.

I think everyone has finally stopped mentioning my ex and the break up, thank god. It was really grating on me hearing about it so much, but I'm glad everyone's moved on. He was out on Tuesday when I was working and was pulling a girl so he can't use the pity card anymore, either :woo:. I actually want him to get a gf so I can pull whoever and people can't be all "awk poor him" to me. Poor girl tho... She has no idea what she's getting into :lolwut:.
I also lost my granda last week. It was his funeral on Tuesday, which was tough. I went into work on Tuesday night (wanted to be busy), and they'd put me on the bar area which I hate, and I ended up crying at the thought of doing it. Managers said I could go home and that was fine but I wanted to work, so I was glad when they moved me into a different room. Things weren't that bad in the end (not gonna say what happened but lets just say... cute guy. Nothings ever gonna happen but I can perve :teehee:). Anyway, to add to that, I have a really sore throat. My neck and glands are really sore, so I've taken 2 amoxicillin. Don't wanna ring in sick as I feel fine apart from that, and I need the money.

I also have a lot of dissertation work to do for next week, which I'm yet to start. And I'm going out tomorrow and Sunday night drinking, and I'm working Saturday night. Don't even care. I'm pretty done with my degree, plus my ****ty results are out next week. Don't even care what I've got.

I was definitely feeling very down last week (I actually posted in here but deleted the post almost straight away, it was pretty much 100% wallowing in self pity lmao), but I'm feeling a bit better this week. I almost had a panic attack in my seminar on Monday (lecturer noticed I was looking very panicked, but he just made a joke saying "not all of them are gonna last this long, Lindsay!"). It was awful though, I've never felt so trapped. Meh
rayquaza17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by snailsareslimy)
I'm sorry to hear this. :hugs:
Glad you're feeling a bit better this week though.
BeyondandAbove
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
xxx
Feel hugged! Sorry for your loss. Today it's been exactly one year that my grandma died and it's been a toll on my mood a bit. Allow yourself to grieve a bit!

_______

Back to revision for me. Need to sift through notes on urine specimen.
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oh guys, what a few weeks its been.

I think everyone has finally stopped mentioning my ex and the break up, thank god. It was really grating on me hearing about it so much, but I'm glad everyone's moved on. He was out on Tuesday when I was working and was pulling a girl so he can't use the pity card anymore, either :woo:. I actually want him to get a gf so I can pull whoever and people can't be all "awk poor him" to me. Poor girl tho... She has no idea what she's getting into :lolwut:.
I also lost my granda last week. It was his funeral on Tuesday, which was tough. I went into work on Tuesday night (wanted to be busy), and they'd put me on the bar area which I hate, and I ended up crying at the thought of doing it. Managers said I could go home and that was fine but I wanted to work, so I was glad when they moved me into a different room. Things weren't that bad in the end (not gonna say what happened but lets just say... cute guy. Nothings ever gonna happen but I can perve :teehee:). Anyway, to add to that, I have a really sore throat. My neck and glands are really sore, so I've taken 2 amoxicillin. Don't wanna ring in sick as I feel fine apart from that, and I need the money.

I also have a lot of dissertation work to do for next week, which I'm yet to start. And I'm going out tomorrow and Sunday night drinking, and I'm working Saturday night. Don't even care. I'm pretty done with my degree, plus my ****ty results are out next week. Don't even care what I've got.

I was definitely feeling very down last week (I actually posted in here but deleted the post almost straight away, it was pretty much 100% wallowing in self pity lmao), but I'm feeling a bit better this week. I almost had a panic attack in my seminar on Monday (lecturer noticed I was looking very panicked, but he just made a joke saying "not all of them are gonna last this long, Lindsay!"). It was awful though, I've never felt so trapped. Meh
sorry for your loss, hope things pick up soon
rayquaza17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Applying for a bursary for my project and I have to fill in a long box explaining my career goals.. 😧😧😧 don't know what to say!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
arguendo
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Planning to do the end of week tidy (where room is absolute tip because I have been running around / stressing all week and chucked everything on floor), eat a late lunch, then do some work - this is the most positive/motivated I've felt for a while!

Posted from TSR Mobile
rayquaza17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Slowbro93)
Random question, but is "research community" a term used to describe like people that research things in maths?? I basically want to write a sentence along the lines of I'd love to contribute to the "research community" but I have no idea what the correct term would be! (I hope this doesn't sound too stupid of a question)
MathsNerd1
  • Study Helper
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by rayquaza17)
Random question, but is "research community" a term used to describe like people that research things in maths?? I basically want to write a sentence along the lines of I'd love to contribute to the "research community" but I have no idea what the correct term would be! (I hope this doesn't sound too stupid of a question)
I'd just state I'd love to help develop and seek new ways in extending the boundaries on what is already known in the research world, or something along those lines anyway
rayquaza17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MathsNerd1)
I'd just state I'd love to help develop and seek new ways in extending the boundaries on what is already known in the research world, or something along those lines anyway

Ooo thank you so much!
Hope semester 2 is going well for you.
MathsNerd1
  • Study Helper
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ooo thank you so much!
Hope semester 2 is going well for you.
Happy to help And it's not too bad, all but one module are enjoyable, the final one is just a bore! But I get my results on Tuesday, so my thoughts could change about how I should do!

Hope this semester is going well for you as well
Slowbro93
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah as mathsnerd has said, its showing you want to contribute and develop to what is out there. What area of maths are toy thinking?

---

Sorry I've been a bit AWOL recently, work has actually been busy SAS sorry for your loss
Slowbro93
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
She doesn't like me by the looks of if why do I even ****ing bother? :sigh:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (312)
37.68%
No - but I will (64)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.49%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (390)
47.1%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed