Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hardest - English Literature, History, Media Studies, ICT - Easiest

(Original post by 123456789012)
    But you average >90% in your three best AS Levels, plus you have great GCSEs, so you shouldn't really have any problems with your academics. Cambridge interview most of their applicants anyway, and if you do well in the interview then you'll be guaranteed an offer.
    Hm well true thank you, just hope if I do get the interview, I smash it, haha I'll try at least

ReputationRep:
    Rank your A-Level subjects in order of difficulty (i.e. easiest to hardest).

N.B. I have attached an image of the ranking of A-Level subjects in order of difficulty. How far do you agree with it?
    What is your source for the graph? Is it the Institute of Physics report?

The thing that stands out like a sore thumb is the finding that General Studies is so "hard"! My guess for what's going on here would be:

1) Universities often don't count it, and people high achievers take it as a 4th A level.
    2) Therefore people don't try very hard in it, don't revise much etc.
    3) Therefore marks are low.
    Possible additional factor:
    4) Some low achievers also take it (perhaps as 1 of 3), and do quite badly compared to the high achievers, making it seem a hard subject.

ReputationRep:
    The hardest A level is film studies. I couldn't bare to watch a film every week bruh....

ReputationRep:
    Hardest: Chemistry
    Further Maths (due to statistics)
    Maths
    Economics
    Easiest: Biology

ReputationRep:
    Easiest to hardest: English Lit, Maths, History.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chazwomaq)
    What is your source for the graph? Is it the Institute of Physics report?

The thing that stands out like a sore thumb is the finding that General Studies is so "hard"! My guess for what's going on here would be:

1) Universities often don't count it, and people high achievers take it as a 4th A level.
    2) Therefore people don't try very hard in it, don't revise much etc.
    3) Therefore marks are low.
    Possible additional factor:
    4) Some low achievers also take it (perhaps as 1 of 3), and do quite badly compared to the high achievers, making it seem a hard subject.
    It's a report published by Durham University. I agree with what you said. General Studies can't possibly be more difficult than Further Maths. O.o

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ahmed766)
    The hardest A level is film studies. I couldn't bare to watch a film every week bruh....
    Couldn't agree more bro.. 😂
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    (Original post by Mary1860)
    I sing classically and play piano. I have grade 8 in both and in most uni requirements it suggests you have grade 8, ABRSM, in your instrument (therefore have at least grade 5 ABRSM music theory). But grade 8 its not essential- depends on the course and whether its very performance based (which mine are) or composition/analysis based where the uni will look at your experience in other areas, not just your music grades and performance experience. Around grade 8 is the performance standard of A2 music anyway
    True - A2 is usually about Grade 7 or 8 (or what exam boards expect you to be playing!)

It totally depends on the place you apply for when you're considering ABRSM Grade 8 though; some universities and conservatoires will expect you to have your Grade 8 certificate before beginning an undergraduate course, whereas others may only expect you to demonstrate that you can play or sing pieces up to that standard through an audition process

Grade 5 Theory will also depend on the particular course you're going for, and what institution. In certain places, if you're studying something with Music Technology, for example, you may not be required to have Grade 5 Theory.

Each university or conservatoire will specify in their prospectus, I imagine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sw651)
    according to the universities it is, you end up re learning everything
    I wouldn't say this is correct, it tend to be a general assumption - but from someone who has done both A level and now a degree in law, if anything it just gives you a foundation to work upon

ReputationRep:
    It's a report published by Durham University. I agree with what you said. General Studies can't possibly be more difficult than Further Maths. O.o
    Cool. Here is the link I think for those interested: www.cem.org/attachments/score2008report.pdf

ReputationRep:
    What about philosophy? Most of the time, you pretty much have to be able to recite pretty much the whole course word for word in the exam...

ReputationRep:
    hardest - further maths
    computing
    maths
    econ - easiest
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Hardest - French, Law, English Lit, Business Studies - Easiest

That pretty much matches with the graph

ReputationRep:
    Hardest to easiest; Chemistry, Biology and then French - though Biology and French do often alternate positions!

ReputationRep:
    Economics, Business Studies, Computing

This is so far so don't rape me for saying Economics is easier than Business Studies

ReputationRep:
    Hardest to easiest: Chemistry, Further Maths, Physics and Maths.

ReputationRep:
    Why do people find Chemistry so difficult? The subject is relatively easy IMO (easier than Biology at least). You just have to be able to think logically (especially with questions on mechanisms and pH calculations) and memorise a few things. Exam questions tend to be really similar every year as well.

ReputationRep:
    Why do people find Chemistry so difficult? The subject is relatively easy IMO (easier than Biology at least). You just have to be able to think logically (especially with questions on mechanisms and pH calculations) and memorise a few things. Exam questions tend to be really similar every year as well.
    For me Chemistry has the least logical concepts from the rest of my subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vanilla Poison)
    For me Chemistry has the least logical concepts from the rest of my subjects.
    What concepts do you find difficult? Physics concepts are so much more vague (things like quantum mechanics, electromagnetic induction, gravitational/electric fields).

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.