The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biology BIOL5 - 17th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DecantedOrange
2.2:1?

2.27:1 :smile: will just depend on graph reading but hopefully we're right :smile:
I did essay 1, wrote about
Taxis and kinesis
Homeostasis - temperature/blood pH and pressure
Immune system
Migration of birds
Feedback mechanisms - the testosterone from earlier in the paper lol, oestrus cycle and something else

Wrote about 6 pages
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JulietR
I got 1:0.44 as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

yay! Hopefully it's right! :smile:
Ugh hated that exam, I knew nothing about antibodies <.<

For essay though, I picked the first one though I'm not sure if they're right and did:

- Homeostasis (Glucose/Temperature)
- Positive feedback (Menstrual cycle/Blood clotting)
- Taxis and Kinesis
- Tropism
- Reflex arc

Good bye uni
Original post by Regina15
What did people include in their essays(internal/external)? I hate 'importance of' questions.

I wrote about reflex arcs and the importance (avoiding harmful stimuli), thermoregulation and importance of that for enzymes, blood pH maintenance via gaseous exchange and importance of that for enzymes, immune response and importance of that in not getting ill (an invading pathogen is a change in the internal environment) and I wrote a little bit on glucoregulation then ran out of time
Original post by JulietR
You must have written loads!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It sounds it but no :')
Original post by AmyT997
2.27:1 :smile: will just depend on graph reading but hopefully we're right :smile:

I got 2.27
Original post by DecantedOrange
2.2:1?

me and my friends got 2.2:1
I absolutely loved that paper! 3 marks on DNA methylation and 3 marks on Pacinian corpuscle etc...
For the ratio I put something like 118:53, I left it as a whole number ratio but you don't have to, that would be the same as 2.2:1 or 1:0.45 for anyone who put those
Overall I thought it was okay, not too bad and not too good…
Original post by JulietR
Temperature regulation as this affects enzymes in respiration etc
Control of heart rate due to changes in blood pressure etc
Osmoregulation in the kidney to prevent dehydration
How haemoglobin dissociation changes in different parts of the body depending on changes in partial pressure of oxygen

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did...

chemoreceptors/baroreceptors (control of heart rate)
temperature - ectotherms (behaviour) and endotherms (hypothalmus) as it may effect enzymes
glucose control (glycogenolysis, gluconeogenesis)
global warming (melt of ice caps = flooding = loss of finance for farming)
extra knowledge - psychology exogenous zeitgebers/endogenous pacemakers and sleep wake cycle :smile:
Original post by smoothER
I wrote about reflex arcs and the importance (avoiding harmful stimuli), thermoregulation and importance of that for enzymes, blood pH maintenance via gaseous exchange and importance of that for enzymes, immune response and importance of that in not getting ill (an invading pathogen is a change in the internal environment) and I wrote a little bit on glucoregulation then ran out of time

Oh reflex arcs, I was going to right about that too but ran out of time as well:/
I've never had to "suggest" so many things in my life...
For essay a) (did anyone actually do b)? I'm interested) I wrote about temperature regulation, blood glucose, stomata closing in response to external conditions/photorespiration, phototropism, and for some reason, the regulation of CoA biosynthesis to illustrate feedback inhibition of enzymes..
Original post by SandyMan
Th reason why the grade boundaries are so low is because the mark scheme is strictatat

what are the grade boundaries ?
Original post by talkbiology
I absolutely loved that paper! 3 marks on DNA methylation and 3 marks on Pacinian corpuscle etc...
For the ratio I put something like 118:53, I left it as a whole number ratio but you don't have to, that would be the same as 2.2:1 or 1:0.45 for anyone who put those

I got 118:53 as well... I had a heart attack seeing everyone else put 2.2:1
Think that was ok!! :biggrin:
Original post by sarah_7
yay! Hopefully it's right! :smile:

Ratios have to be something; 1 as you have to divide by the smaller number not the larger one
Judging from past mark schemes on ratio questions you can leave it as a whole number ratio or cancel it down to make either of the numbers 1 or basically whatever as long as it is a mathematically correct ratio
Original post by Bustamove
I got 118:53 as well... I had a heart attack seeing everyone else put 2.2:1
Original post by talkbiology
For essay a) (did anyone actually do b)? I'm interested) I wrote about temperature regulation, blood glucose, stomata closing in response to external conditions/photorespiration, phototropism, and for some reason, the regulation of CoA biosynthesis to illustrate feedback inhibition of enzymes..

I did B! Topics I did where:

Tumour supressor genes + proto-onco genes
Oestrogen and transcriptional factors
Control of Oestrus cycle (feedback loops)
Speciation + selection

Anyone else do B?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending