The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
what actual page???
Reply 161
in the 3 hour exam we are given a 5/6 page A3 booklet to fill in....
Reply 162
Ok, regarding requests for people to share ideas: it would be kinda nice if people would post their own ideas as well as just asking for other peoples! (fair play to hwoo and people who are playing a team game!)
I've been trying to do mine for ages, but the files too big to upload soooooo havin a hard time compressing it!sorrrrrrrrrry
I managed to do it!!!!! wooo! Anyways i apologise for my bad drawings, but maybe u can see the view i've taken in my designs. I got 14/15 soooo musta done something right in my mock. xxx
Reply 165
3 designs in one page..whoa!!!
Reply 166
it will be great if i can see the text
Reply 167
hwoo
it will be great if i can see the text

what, are you blind?
Reply 168
thanks for those pics Lauren :smile: do we have to colour our drawings in the exam?
Reply 169
I wouldn't imagine we have to colour in, maybe take a highlighter or two in to makes things stand out but colouring in and shading seems a bit much for 30 minutes.
Good designs, mine are limited so far. One is essentially a pushchair with a large basket space behind it. One is a trolley that is slightly thinner so not to obstruct the paths. And I had an idea to make a type of kiddy car out of injection molded plastic, but less embaressing to push about.
Would band brakes be good to lock a back wheel, without it slipping off? I'll draw a pic soonish.
Reply 170
Zweig
what, are you blind?

lol, maybe i'm blind or somethings wrong with my computer XD
anywway , i just finished all my drawings , including development n the detail drawing :>:>:>:>:> ^^ !!! now i'm lefted with write up to do XD
Reply 171
hwoo
lol, maybe i'm blind or somethings wrong with my computer XD
anywway , i just finished all my drawings , including development n the detail drawing :>:>:>:>:> ^^ !!! now i'm lefted with write up to do XD

hehe :biggrin:

could you by any chance scan in your drawings? :adore:
Reply 172
Aghh they're really good drawings. If someone did those kinda things in the exam, we wouldn't have a chance.
I'm going to have real trouble with the detailed spec, like how to join the wheels and so forth. How in-depth do we have to go when explaining?
Hello to you all, im nu to this whole thing so help may be required
been going through this thread, there are some amazing clever ideas. Has any1 thought about the spec being for an attachment for an existing pram/trolley etc. some sort of platform or seat for a child, for example an existing product like this is a bike trailer, http://www.cyclesportandfitness.com/images/TrailerAlloy2006.jpg
This would encompass all of the research we r told to get in the prelim sheet.
Anthro data - kid standing sitting positions heights etc
Wheels and bearings - it has wheels and these need bearings
Braking systems - parking break to stop it going anywhere
Prop of lightwieght materials- plastic injection moulding etc
Just an idea anyway
Also to "Stuart" u need to explain certain assemblies in ur design, but only in ur final design/ whilst ur developing it, not in ur intial designs
Exploded diagrams are good for this, and with a side note on how u would assemble it. Depending on the wheels i suggest looking at bicycle wheels and how they are assembled

If any1 wants to see the examiners roperts from last year heres the link, can help u with certain parts
http://www.edexcel.org.uk/VirtualContent/48196/8094_9094_rep_sum05.pdf

Thanks
scott
thanks peopel for the help..!
anyone actually doen all 6 pages?
ive managed to do dsoem research and thats about it :frown:
Reply 175
scottie12321

If any1 wants to see the examiners roperts from last year heres the link, can help u with certain parts
http://www.edexcel.org.uk/VirtualContent/48196/8094_9094_rep_sum05.pdf

thanks for the link

Here is the info. incase you don't have PDF:

Spoiler

Reply 176
I fort it would be a good idea for me to share information with all you guys sitting the units 6 paper.

Basically senior teachers along side students have just been scanning and skimming through facts and possible design problems which we may face on the day. I have listed a few possible initial products which we might have to design bellow:

> Child buggy
> shopping trolley
> A possible detachable storage unit which is ergonomically designed to be fixed on2 a pram or trolley in some way. (thinking of child safety)

Personally I don’t think it will be a trolley (but it may well be) my only reason for this is, if you think about it realistically who in 2days day and age would want to put there child in a trolley there are important factors to consider such as personal hygiene for the child and the user.

We also spoke about self aligning wheels. Most trolleys and prams now use self aligning wheels. So it may be a good idea to research these types of wheels also taking manufacturing of these types of wheels as well as technical data such as bearings.

As for breaking systems many of us may have seen the braking systems they use at Heathrow Airport on thire trolleys. The way it work is extremely smart. The user pusher a bar down which allows them to more the trolley freely, but the moment the user releases the bar, brakes are automatically applied. Advantages of this system could be that when parents are shopping they can easily forget to apply the breaks, whereas this system is always locked and only moves when the bar is pressed. Again this type of trolley uses a self aligning wheeling system.

We also looked at the fact that if it was a buggy and some how had to incorporate storage for shopping the use off balance would be important. For example if shopping was loaded at the back end of the trolley and the weight was balanced with the babies weight on the front it would stay balanced, but what if the child got out of the pram with the shopping still loaded at the back, the buggy will become unbalanced and may well fall over. So it might be a good idea thinking carefully about how the unit overall can be balanced (maybe an extra wheel which folds down for extra support?

AS for anthropometric data of a child, a mate of mine actually designed a product for a child for his A2 design project so I will get the anthropometric data information from him and upload it ASAP.

Ohh ye lol last thing my teacher mentioned as long as you have done your research you will have no problems in the exams. He also said if you actually do a practice paper of a trolley or buggy you could use is for the actual exam and whatever design situation we are given we can easily adapt the information already researched.

If you guys have any information which I may be able to use please do upload it or email me I would much appreciate this. If you guys need any more info please do email me, I will try and do my best to help you guys out.

Hope this helps you guys out.

Good luck to all.
Reply 177
Forgt 2 add this years exam paper for unit 6 design paper 2006, for those who aint seen it yet.

The direct download link shown bellow

http://www.edexcel.org.uk/VirtualContent/48196/6302_Design_Research.pdf
Reply 178
roadkillhat
right got it up now - enjoy

could you please tell us the source of these images (childrens anthropometrics) for proving research in the exam?

Ps. Thank you, they're perfect.
Reply 179
Chhabs
Forgt 2 add this years exam paper for unit 6 design paper 2006, for those who aint seen it yet.

The direct download link shown bellow

http://www.edexcel.org.uk/VirtualContent/48196/6302_Design_Research.pdf

thanks for the advice,

haha i think people have seen the question paper already, i hope :p: , but cheers anyway

Latest

Trending

Trending