The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Getting a Job In Southampton...

Hey all. =]

I'm having to start thinking about a job as this year is all about lack of money. (Including All loans and lack of parental support)

Just wondering if anyone knows where I can apply for a job at the Uni. If there's anyone I should e-mail for is there will be any available. I'm going to be looking for shops and what-not in Southampton to apply for a job at. It's going to be mostly sending e-mails basically saying "I'm coming to study, would you have a job available?"

Also does anyone know of anywhere that has a decent rate of pay? Like, not relying on tips and stuff.

Any help is muchly appreciated. =D
Well, good luck finding a job. If you do, you're a better man than I. I've spent the entire summer looking for and applying for jobs here and haven't had one offer yet.

The uni have a temp bank of jobs that they offer to students, but I don't know the address off the top of my head - i'll try and find out tomorrow for you.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
omicronlyrae
Well, good luck finding a job. If you do, you're a better man than I. I've spent the entire summer looking for and applying for jobs here and haven't had one offer yet.

The uni have a temp bank of jobs that they offer to students, but I don't know the address off the top of my head - i'll try and find out tomorrow for you.

Thank you. =]
Reply 3
Reply 4
Sarah H

Thank youuuu
The temp bank isn't very good though...it's mainly positions that undergraduates can't really do...like four-day-a-week cleaning posts, etc.
Reply 6
You'll find a job if you don't mind working 15hours plus. The Co-Op always seem to have jobs, but like i say 15hours plus. One place that is good if you have afternoons free is HomeFundraising. The pay is like £7 an hour. I did it for a while, but couldn't manage 3 shifts a week around my studies.

Good look, but remember most places will want a lot more hours than you can give and will expect you to work Xmas and Easter :-)
Reply 7
It's either get a job or not even be able to afford down sizing room to a basic with no washbasin. =/
Reply 8
The shopping centres in Soton (west quay, bargate, east street, the high street) are pretty sizeable so its usually worth checking every few weeks/months, retail vacancies are always coming up/going. I've got a weekend job in west quay, had it all of my first year and it didn't get in the way of uni work etc.
Reply 9
Just keep checking out high street store websites - I applied for a job in HMV recently and they phoned me two days ago to arrange an interview (but since I'm not in Southampton atm, they said I should phone back as soon as I'm in the area to properly arrange a day/time).
i was in west quay yesterday and there's loads of places with part time staff wanted signs in window.
I saw adverts for staff in Subway on London Road this morning.
Also, Sports Direct always seem to want casual staff.
As other people have said, there are loads of places in West Quay that tend to want staff fairly regularly.
Remember Christmas jobs for extra money as well.
Reply 12
if you look on the SU website, under jobs, they're currently looking for people to work as technical staff in the cube on club nights/ live events.
No previous experience required
Reply 13
geom24
if you look on the SU website, under jobs, they're currently looking for people to work as technical staff in the cube on club nights/ live events.
No previous experience required

Do you have a link? I can't seem to find it.
Reply 14
I can't find the actual link I found earlier anymore! apologies.

But i found this:

Can I work in the bars?
Yes, you can contact the bars manager on [email protected] to apply to work behind the bars. Other paid opportunities, such as front of house and ents technical crew, can be applied for by emailing [email protected].
geom24
I can't find the actual link I found earlier anymore! apologies.

But i found this:

Can I work in the bars?
Yes, you can contact the bars manager on [email protected] to apply to work behind the bars. Other paid opportunities, such as front of house and ents technical crew, can be applied for by emailing [email protected].

The SUSU bars have just employed a bunch of people (I'm one of them :P) but it's always worth emailing them and seeing what they can do.

Having been into the city centre a couple of times over the past few days I can say that there are a few places looking for staff, one of them being GAME (which surprised me, unless its Xmas staff). It's all a case of just looking whenever you can tbh. I went looking throughout last year but they didn't have anything going. External employers are less likely to work around your uni timetable too. My advice is to be open to everything. After all, its money.

Latest

Trending

Trending