The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Uni, campus and study life

Hi guys very interested in applying for the new CompEng degree that’s being offered by Southampton, I’ve visited the school on a computing residential so I haven’t seen it in it’s normal lively state jsut wondering what the uni life, student satisfaction, night life, campus life, opportunities etc are like! I found the buildings and such quite bleak but is it any better as a student?
Original post by Eeani
Hi guys very interested in applying for the new CompEng degree that’s being offered by Southampton, I’ve visited the school on a computing residential so I haven’t seen it in it’s normal lively state jsut wondering what the uni life, student satisfaction, night life, campus life, opportunities etc are like! I found the buildings and such quite bleak but is it any better as a student?

Hello, Final year Bm5 student at southampton here 👋 It’s wonderful to hear that you are considering UoS for the new CompEng degree being offered. I understand that from your visit you didn’t get to see the campus in full swing. I can tell you about a bit about my own experience.

I really have enjoyed spending time on campus as there is always something happening, even during exam periods when things are meant to be a bit more tense, being on campus and seeing students, and participating in the activities the students union put out were good grounding forces.

In terms of opportunities , whether its research or work both your faculty and central university services will have plenty on offer. I’ve maintained a part time job with uni and had the chance to participate in research and get publications, it really depends on your involvement. When it comes to night life Southampton is definitely a student city, with lots of bars and clubs around portswood area ( if you want to be close to campus) or in bedford place ( if city centre is more your vibe).

The student union also puts out lots of event throughout the year and clubs and societies make sure to always have socials so you can get the full student experience.

I hope this answers your questions! Don’t hesitate if you have any other questions

Cynthia ( University of Southampton student ambassador) https://www.southampton.ac.uk
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Original post by Eeani

no its not much better as a student, campus is ugly, bleak, and lots of facilities dont work.
night life is okay, theres definitely stuff to do but its not like a big big night out
opportunities, there are some, but you have to look for lots of things, and email people et,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending