The Shakespeare Society Watch

silence
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
in titus andronicus last night, some characters were singing that song "heeey, heeeeey baby, oooh, aah! i wanna knooooow, if you'll be my girl" but with the lyrics slightly changed (to something like heeey saturninus, ooh, ahh, i wanna knoooow, if you're touching goth?!). that was interesting.
Kieny
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by happydinosaur)
Best warn you, I am a theatre student so my idea about Shakespeare and yours are probably miles apart. I don't feel there is anything wrong with taking his plays and adjusting them slightly. About to perform in Prince Hal which is a heavily abridged version of Henry IV parts 1 & 2 and Henry V. I love Shakespeare because it is such perfect material to take and turn into something very modern and of now. This play I am in is taking the themes and putting them in the context of a football hooligans and armys of thugs. Yeh sometimes things do get taken too far and don't work but surely there is no harm in experimenting..There is some merit to seeing the plays how they were done because it is interesting.

Otherwise there is the danger that generations to come will be so alienated by Shakespeare because the language doesn't make sense and it is considered old and stuffy. I don't like to think of his plays as the preserve of the academics but as stories for everyone to love and enjoy. At the end of the day the plays are basically really good stories.

Plays are written to be performed in my view and are a directors medium and an actors medium, there to be experimented with and given new interpretations. I wouldn't want to go see a play if it was the same as every other performancce of it.
I have total respect for production such as the one in which you are performing (btw - Wow! that is really fantastic ) as long as its intention is to bring Shakespeare's plays however adapted to the eyes and ears of those who otherwise wouldnt have had an opportunity to enjoy his brilliance.

HOWEVER - This is only as long as there remains a clear distinction b/w 'Adaptation' and 'Original'. In the realms of productions of 'original' plays there should be a clear distinction made between feasible flexibility/ imagination of the story and fictional, overly-opinionated versions that force unwanted baggage upon the audience. Obviously this only applies to plays that are 'Original' as opposed to the 'Experimentations' of which you speak.

(Original post by Angelil)
As Kieny said, I don't mind experimentation as long as it doesn't overly detract from the original play.
I don't agree with you that modification of the language is necessary in order to prevent younger generations from feeling distant from it. Baz Luhrmann's Romeo and Juliet changed the setting, but the language remained completely the same and it worked wonderfully.
Yes! That was a fantastic example of how an 'Adaptation' can fantastically bring out the beauty of the play into a different audience. However, i believe that was an exception - normally modification of language is USED in order to bring the understanding to the newer audiences even though such versions have shown no modification of language to be necessary. Ultimately i believe that modification of language is not an issue as long as it occurs within the bounds of 'Adaptation'.
happydinosaur
Badges: 14
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by silence)
in titus andronicus last night, some characters were singing that song "heeey, heeeeey baby, oooh, aah! i wanna knooooow, if you'll be my girl" but with the lyrics slightly changed (to something like heeey saturninus, ooh, ahh, i wanna knoooow, if you're touching goth?!). that was interesting.
I saw Romeo and Juliet last year and they used that Basement Jaxx song Romeo..:p: This was the same play where the balcony scene feautured no balcony, just two mobile phones and lots of texting..Still not sure if I liked that bit or not!
Flying Pythonette
Report 12 years ago
You guys I just did my Othello exam and I totally bombed!
Anyone else just do that A2 Eng - it was edexcel I think.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Jess xxx
Kieny
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Blu-Tack Jess)
You guys I just did my Othello exam and I totally bombed!
Anyone else just do that A2 Eng - it was edexcel I think.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Jess xxx
U is not the only one - bad news :mad: - very hard questions..
Flying Pythonette
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Kieny)
U is not the only one - bad news :mad: - very hard questions..
Lol - did you do that question about how shakespeare portrays a world of moral chaos where love is more destructive then hate? I cpuld do the 2nd part, but it wasnt untill AFTER the exam I could answer the 1st part - sods law huh?

Jess xxx
silence
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
My shakespeareness is getting hardcore..

20th june is taming of the shrew (missing england game!), 23rd is msnd, 25th is anthony and cleo - the latter at the lgobe and the other two in regents pk open air theatre. Msnd should be amazing; set in royal park and acted in one.. A fantastic parallel maybe opening the door for metatheatricality to some extent.
Flying Pythonette
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by silence)
My shakespeareness is getting hardcore..

20th june is taming of the shrew (missing england game!), 23rd is msnd, 25th is anthony and cleo - the latter at the lgobe and the other two in regents pk open air theatre. Msnd should be amazing; set in royal park and acted in one.. A fantastic parallel maybe opening the door for metatheatricality to some extent.
Ok - I know this is the Shakespeare soc, and I'm probably gonna get boo-ed 4this, but msnd? Clarify please! lol
Jess xxx
StaceYY
Report 12 years ago
A midsummers nights dream??
Flying Pythonette
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by StaceYY)
A midsummers nights dream??
Lol - cheers Stace :cheers:
I thought of that literally 5 minutes after I pressed post! :hmpf:

See you monday - Jess xxx
Madelyn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I was trying to work out MSND as well, and I'm supposed to know stuff about Shakespeare.
Silence - rather impressed by the hardcore Shakey, I was doing something similar with opera a few weeks ago - La Rondine on the Thursday, Marriage of Figaro on the Friday, and Arms and the Cow on the Saturday (the group doing them was only in Sheffield for those three nights). Having been to the opera three nights running, I decided I rather liked my life.
Going back to Shakesapeare, I'm going to Stratford in September. I'm not sure what I'm seeing, though - it's for a big family thing which was all arranged while I was away interrailing, so I missed out on all the details. But I'm really excited about it, since I haven't been there in ages and I wanted to see at least some of the Complete Works stuff. So huzzah.
Flying Pythonette
Report 12 years ago
Hey guys - ne1 online at the mo?
Kieny
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hey guys - ne1 online at the mo?
What a strange question?!?!
happydinosaur
Badges: 14
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Kieny)
What a strange question?!?!
I know!! :p:

I really want to be able to go see something in Stratford. Only ever been to see something there once and that was Twelfth Night last summer..did anyone see that? It was simply fantastic. I loved the floating music stands and the vertical boat suspended in the air and then rowed row to the stage. Bring on September and a university much closer that my current home!!
Flying Pythonette
Report 12 years ago
You guys what is wrong with my last question?

How is it strange? - If someone else is online then we couldve struck up a conversation. Sociable much? :p:
lol - Good luck to those with exams still...

Jess xxx
Kieny
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You guys what is wrong with my last question?

How is it strange? - If someone else is online then we couldve struck up a conversation. Sociable much? :p:
lol - Good luck to those with exams still...

Jess xxx
Soz didnt mean offence - u didn't reply tho Hehe :p:

Still got 4 exams left!! :confused: Surely i must be the person with most left - anyone know otherwise?
Flying Pythonette
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Kieny)
Soz didnt mean offence - u didn't reply tho Hehe :p:

Still got 4 exams left!! :confused: Surely i must be the person with most left - anyone know otherwise?
Thats OK, I forgive you on account of my fabulous grace and kindness
Dont get yourself too down, my mate has 4 left aussi - good luck!
Jess xxx
Kieny
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Thats OK, I forgive you on account of my fabulous grace and kindness
Dont get yourself too down, my mate has 4 left aussi - good luck!
Jess xxx
Well - i dont know what to say. Grace and kindness of this stature and degree i have never experianced in my whole life. I am lost for words at your benevolence .. my words fail me :p:

Thnx for the luck - i will seriously need it considering the forthcoming Chemsitry Synoptic - which in my humble opinion is the singlemost difficult paper, of the hardest subject in the world :confused:
Flying Pythonette
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Kieny)
Well - i dont know what to say. Grace and kindness of this stature and degree i have never experianced in my whole life. I am lost for words at your benevolence .. my words fail me :p:

Thnx for the luck - i will seriously need it considering the forthcoming Chemsitry Synoptic - which in my humble opinion is the singlemost difficult paper, of the hardest subject in the world :confused:
Um...Do I detect a hint of sarcasm there?
Lol - Chemistry? :eek: It certainly sound like the worst subject in the world - bar physics of course.

Jess xxx
etherised
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Madelyn)
Going back to Shakesapeare, I'm going to Stratford in September. I'm not sure what I'm seeing, though - it's for a big family thing which was all arranged while I was away interrailing, so I missed out on all the details. But I'm really excited about it, since I haven't been there in ages and I wanted to see at least some of the Complete Works stuff. So huzzah.
Aw, if you're up in September you should try and see Cymbeline. It's being done by Kneehigh, the Cornish touring company who did Tristan and Iseult at the National last summer. I can't wait to see what they do with it.

I want to stay in Stratford all summer, though: they have so much amazing stuff on in the complete works season. I saw the Ninagawa Titus Andronicus there last week and it was mind-blowing. The sort of theatre where you walk out and you feel almost assaulted - and you're still trying to take it all in.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (446)
37.93%
No - but I will (88)
7.48%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.8%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (562)
47.79%

Watched Threads