The Student Room Group

The Shakespeare Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
MACBETH or The Scottish Play as it is known.... !GREAT!

' When shall we three meet again
In thunder, lightning or in rain...'

'Is this a dagger I see before me...'

'Shake not your gory locks at me...'
Amzybaby24
WHAT IS YOUR LEAST FAVOURITE PIECE OF SHAKESPEARE.... and WHY?

I think we have established mine...

Anyone else have a least favourite Shakespeare?
Reply 62
Richard III - not read it in full but the idea of it bores me, I am not one for politics. (Much)
Reply 63
Richard III isn't really about politics very much, or at least it's only about interesting, child-murdering bits of politics.
Reply 64
btw i've added some shakespeare-connected links to the first post in this thread; if anyone knows any other that are of use pm me or post them below
Reply 65
Madelyn
Richard III isn't really about politics very much, or at least it's only about interesting, child-murdering bits of politics.

Would you recommend it then?
Reply 66
I really like RIII, I think it makes a very enjoyable piece of theatre. However, I'm also quite fond of politics.
Reply 67
I may have to read it in full then.
=0)
Reply 68
I was going to mention Marlowe, but this was all about Shakespeare's plays/sonnets. I had to study Dr Faustus recently for English and loved it!
shadowkin
I think Shakey will be shocked to see you have not acknowledgedMarlowe in this thread.

He will? I thought he was dead? :eek:

I agree though, Marlowe is fantastic, Shakespeare is better but Edward II and Faustus are brilliant plays.
Jayjayjay
I was going to mention Marlowe, but this was all about Shakespeare's plays/sonnets. I had to study Dr Faustus recently for English and loved it!

Dr Faustus is my favourite play. Again this is coming from the point of view of the theatre studies mind not an English mind but I have performed Faustus twice. Chose to do it for my A level practical and had so much fun learning some of the big speeches and visualising a lot of the imagery :p:
sparklyteacosie
Dr Faustus is my favourite play. Again this is coming from the point of view of the theatre studies mind not an English mind but I have performed Faustus twice. Chose to do it for my A level practical and had so much fun learning some of the big speeches and visualising a lot of the imagery :p:

I love Doctor Faustus too, although I'm also loving the Duchess of Malfi by Webster... speaking of which, I really need to read it again before the exam next Tuesday!!
Eeyore
I love Doctor Faustus too, although I'm also loving the Duchess of Malfi by Webster... speaking of which, I really need to read it again before the exam next Tuesday!!

I love The White Devil. Never read The Duchess of Malfi though..
Reply 73
in the first post there's a link to a page with some shakespeare works, and some marlowe plays.

it's quite cool how they were exact contemporaries (born 1564), but the fact that one happened to live on for another couple of decades made the difference.
Reply 74
sparklyteacosie

Wow, who do you play?
Jayjayjay
Wow, who do you play?

The first time I was in it I was part of the seven deadly sins and was gluttony and ate huge pieces of chocolate fudge cake on stage every night (and once spat on some audience members :redface: ) When I did it for my A level we multi-roled it..so at a point I was Mephistophiles (in the pope scene which was so much fun!!) and I was Faustus just before the end when he is with the scholars so I got the be really crazy and shout and scream. Plus I played some of the smaller roles like the knight, scholars, sins, old man...Been informed by the teacher that I shall get an A for it :biggrin: Our set was quite cool too..a chess board inspired floor with some steps and a coat stand to put all the bits of costume on :smile:

I would really love to actually publicly perform some Shakespeare sometime soon. Havn't done for so long. I want to go on a course in the summer that involves rehearsing Julius Caesar for two weeks and then touring with it at various theatres and schools and other venues..
I've been meaning to read Edward II. The questions for it are always above the Measure for Measure ones on the AQA exam paper and its been intriguing me! Any good?
Reply 77
Reading Edward II can be a bit dull (random unnecessary battle scenes, etc.), but seeing it is good. I really like it, but a lot of people in my class found it really dull.
I'm always a bit intrigued by the way people compare Shakespeare and Marlowe. I don't think it's really fair, as to me Shakespeare is primarily about the language, while Marlowe has other great features, though his language is (in my view) inferior to Shakespeare's, and certainly different.
Madelyn
Reading Edward II can be a bit dull (random unnecessary battle scenes, etc.), but seeing it is good. I really like it, but a lot of people in my class found it really dull.
I'm always a bit intrigued by the way people compare Shakespeare and Marlowe. I don't think it's really fair, as to me Shakespeare is primarily about the language, while Marlowe has other great features, though his language is (in my view) inferior to Shakespeare's, and certainly different.

Marlowes language is very different to that which Shakespeare uses. Well from my experience it has been anyway...
This will sound splendidly silly, but how do I get Willy's charming mug on my posts???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending