The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

the RVC stats are on their website :-)
Reply 21
does anyone know the stats for any other vet-schools? i can't find them anywhere.
Katy123
What GCSEs/other qualifications did you need for liverpool? or for anywhere else? and how much work experience etc?
:smile:

Hey contrary to popular opinion you don't need perfect GCSE's to get in, here are mine

Science A*A*
Geog A*
IT B
Drama B
Maths C
Eng Lit C
Eng Lang C
French C
Tech C

As you can see I didn't make minimum requirements however I am a mature student and I did have lots of work experience (WE) including working for 9 months as a trainee vet nurse. I got 3 interviews aswell so don't worry too much if you havent got a perfect academic transcript up until that point, if you can get AAB at A-level then most uni's are happy, the key is to making you PS stand out so that they want to invite you to interview.
Katy123
does anyone know the stats for any other vet-schools? i can't find them anywhere.

I was at a Nott open day yesterday and I'm sure an admissions tutor said that about 1300 apply for roughly 100 places and the majority of applicants get interviewed.

In the Bristol prospectus it says that for the D100 course there were 1268 applicants for 104 places.

In 'getting into veterinary school' by Mario Di Clemente, it has data on how many first year admissions there were, but the data it has got is from 2005 and it says nothing about how many applications there were.

Bristol =116
Cam= 69
Glasgow=117
Lpool= 102
London= 223
Nott=94

Basically the competition is immense!

I can't remeber if they do or not but the other unis may have their stats on their websites?
Reply 24
I think there is a thread from a week or so ago that has all the stats in it. I will have a look for it for you
Reply 25
rvc has figures on their website, off the top of my head it like a 1000 apps ofr like 200 places for RVC, bristol was 14-1 this year and Cambridge is usually 6-1
Reply 26
Emma Sky
I got 8 A*s and 3 As at GCSE, 5 As at AS level and 3 As at Alevel in bio, chem an english. Offer was AAB from the RVC also got pooled for Cambridge :smile: erm 13 weeks work exp overall.[/QUOW

Woah, you must be the only person I know that got an AAB offer for the RVC!! Have you had a gap year (deferred entry) or did you apply this time last year?:smile: Hope you have fun when you start!!:woo:
I'm applying this year as a mature student. So far I have:

2 years full time at a city farm
2 years part time - city farm
2 weeks - RSPCA animal hospital
1 week - vet clinic

Just started doing one day a week at a stables and one day at another surgery, also the city farms were both quite varied with horses, pigs, cattle, sheep, poultry & small animals so i have done lambing and calving there. I have work at a cattery and at the wetlands centre lined up + 6 weeks calving in new zealand next summer. How does this all sound? Will it be enough? Any help would be great! Also if there's any ex-vet school applicants who would be able to read my ps let me know! :smile:

XX
Penguin... I'll read it, if you want. Pm me.

At GCSE I got 7 A*'s, 5 A's and a B. I did bio, chem, maths and RS A level and got AAAA. I did physics AS and got a B (3 marks of an A... ggrrr!!!). As I took a gap year my WE is at cloud crazy in terms of quantity so probs wouldn't be helpful to any of you! Diversity is what it important though - I had well over 10 weeks the first time I applied, but not in the strictly relevant areas. What they want to see is the basics, rather than random fancy stuff - exotics, for instance is good as an extra, but they would prefer to see that you can handle dogs first!

I think Liverpool gets around 1500 apps for 110 places? Cambridge is something like 350 for 70. The RVC gets somewhere around 2000 apps, I think.
green_penguin
I'm applying this year as a mature student. So far I have:

2 years full time at a city farm
2 years part time - city farm
2 weeks - RSPCA animal hospital
1 week - vet clinic

Just started doing one day a week at a stables and one day at another surgery, also the city farms were both quite varied with horses, pigs, cattle, sheep, poultry & small animals so i have done lambing and calving there. I have work at a cattery and at the wetlands centre lined up + 6 weeks calving in new zealand next summer. How does this all sound? Will it be enough? Any help would be great! Also if there's any ex-vet school applicants who would be able to read my ps let me know! :smile:

XX

Your w/e sounds pretty good but if possible try and get a week or 2 on a commercial dairy farm. I think the idea of work experience is to show you what goes on in the farming industry, as much as just being around the animals.
The 6 weeks in NZ sounds like it will give you something that stands out from other applicants. Will this be a dairy farm? If so try and make as many notes as you can about how dairy cows are managed there, then compare the differences to dairy management in the UK- they are very different systems. I think that would be quite likely to come up in your interview!

Good Luck!
Reply 30
Bristol last yr - 1351 applicants for 104 places

Latest

Trending

Trending