The Student Room Group

How would you handle a mugger?

Scroll to see replies

kick him the balls...knee jerk reaction...:confused:
justkillingtime
Seriously though, what kind of idiot would ever try and mug someone without any weapon whatsoever?

lol..the type that have robbed banks with nothing more then a banana in the pocket ..:yes:
I'd say there's more chance of getting mugged by two or more individuals than one, the experiences I've heard from friends suggest that anyway. So if it's you vs two of them, with knives, you don't have a lot of choice, unless you've got some wicked skillz.
Reply 143
If it were one guy I'd like to think I'd try to defend myself, providing he doesn't have a weapon. But most muggers mug in groups and often carry knifes and are more than willing to use them. So realistically, I wouldn't do an awful lot. Perhaps run away.
Reply 144
I'd comply, why not? It takes a bigger man to walk away from a confrontation unharmed..why stoop to their level and fight back? What does it gain? There is nothing to be gained from fighting over an insured phone which can be bricked in little than 10 minutes. Obviously if they were going to attack me after handing over my phone or my wallet...that's a different kettle of fish. I am currently training in martial arts but sometimes a mugging is just not worth the effort or the benefits..

Two reasons for my compliance:
1) It's safer...it means you will probably escape unharmed. All the goods are insured. I don't understand people who are willing to fight over a stupid Iphone!!

2) Unfortunately for a lot of knife wielding muggers...they're not that bright and although they may win in the physical ground getting my stuff... I happen to come from a family of techies...therefore if a guy takes my phone..no big deal..i track him with my technology software...he changes the sim card..no difference, i am alerted to the new number and soon with my modifying change..he factory resets the phone...i can still track it :smile:
Original post by jafferz
I happen to come from a family of techies...therefore if a guy takes my phone..no big deal..i track him with my technology software...he changes the sim card..no difference, i am alerted to the new number and soon with my modifying change..he factory resets the phone...i can still track it :smile:

so what's your excuse for replying to a 2009 thread?
Reply 146
Bang bang.
Reply 147
It obviously varies with the situation, but with a knife I'd likely go along with what they wanted. I train a martial art that includes realistic knife disarms etc. But the first thing you learn when practicing something like that is something can always go wrong and it isn't worth the risk. I reckon I could probably defend myself effectively if they attacked anyway, but is a phone or wallet really worth taking the chance? Unarmed I'll fight.
Probably just give him what he wanted, i'm not going to risk my life just for a phone or a small sum of money :cool:
i'd give them everything i had straight away and start crying probably :lol:
Put on a Russian accent and then whistle and call out "Dimitri! Some stupid feck want to be taught lesson"
Throw my wallet to the side and then run. Chances are they'd be more interested in picking it up rather than running after me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Run like the wind. The old 'What's that over there?' or 'Oh, **** cops!' trick should give me a little head start :cool:
Reply 153
Original post by yoyo462001
if its 1 person then im not getting robbed, unless im totally cornered and even so i still liek my odds..more than one then im handing my stuff over unless theres a clear path that i can get the fudge outte there...

This, if I have anything worth a lot with me eg phone etc no chance id get robbed at knife point, gun point is a different matter but 9/10 times you know they don't have the balls

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lay-Z
This, if I have anything worth a lot with me eg phone etc no chance id get robbed at knife point, gun point is a different matter but 9/10 times you know they don't have the balls

Posted from TSR Mobile

What you don't realise is that at close range a knife is a lot harder to defend yourself against than a gun.
Pull my pants down and start touching him up. Hopefully he'll be so horrified he'll leave me alone.
When I was a krav maga practitioner we learnt to act scared and then attack them however I'd prefer to just talk them out of it.
Twice I have been nearly mugged. First time was just some homeless dude when I was walking down a back ally in the night. He was threatening me with a spoon so I let him 'stab' me and told him that I was the almighty and he couldn't hurt me. It's safe to say he ran away.
The second time was when I was walking through a rough area after lacrosse training. The guy tried to hit me over the head from behind but I luckily reacted quick enough and swung at him with my stick (not a euphemism).

I felt much better with my actions in the first instance. I wish that I didn't feel the need to hit the other guy -- no matter how prepared I am in terms of martial arts/combat systems.
Reply 158
Derren Brown had a good anecdote about an aggressive incident (that could be applied to a mugging):
This is simply about not engaging with your aggressor at the level they expect. I was coming back from a hotel at about 3am one night and there was a guy in the street with his girlfriend. He was really drunk, clearly looking for a fight and he started kicking off at me. I had a routine ready in my head for this sort of situation and it worked a treat on this occasion. He asked me that typical aggressive rhetorical question “Do you want a fight?” You can’t say “yes” or “no” you’ll get hit either way. So, I responded with, “The wall outside my house is four-feet high.”

I didn’t engage at the level he was expecting me to, so immediately he was on the back foot. He came back with, “What?” and I repeated my bizarre response. I delivered the line in a completely matter-of-fact tone, as if he was the one who was missing something here. Suddenly, he was confused. All his adrenaline had dropped away, because I’d pulled the rug from under him. It’s the verbal version of a martial-arts technique called an ‘adrenaline dump’, whereby you get the person to relax before you hit them. A punch will have much greater impact if the recipient’s guard is down. I stuck to this surreal conversational thread with my assailant, saying things like, “I lived in Spain for a while and the walls are really huge, but in this country they’re tiny.” After a few of these exchanges, he just went, “Oh f*ck!” and broke down in tears. The guy had all this adrenaline and was on the point of really laying into me I was seeing myself beaten to a bloody pulp but these non-threatening nonsense statements broke that aggression down and he genuinely started crying. I ended up sitting next to him on the kerb, comforting him. It’s the same with guys that come up and ask to “have a look at your phone”, and you end up handing over your stuff and hating yourself for doing it you can use the same approach. My PA had some stuff nicked in a Tube station recently, and I said to him, “If you’d just starting singing, they would have left you alone.”

Very interesting. Similar to the post on the first page about bamboozling them with a stupid question about smurfs.

(This thread by the way is ancient.)
Reply 159
Two guys tried to mug me and a friend last year (no knives though) I told them i didnt have anything and offered them a bit of pizza which they accepted... always carry pizza!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending