The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
StJimmy
And yeah, I am old enough, so I know how to ask for the cigarettes I want.. e.g. "Can I get 10 Mayfair please" but what about the lighter? I just want one of those cheap throwaway ones.. can you use them straight away?
Just say "can I have ten Mayfair and a lighter please," and hold your money out.
Reply 21
StJimmy
can you use them straight away?

No, you must register it on the internet first.
You should find the URL and serial number on the back.
Reply 22
StJimmy
I was always completely against smoking, but it's a temporary thing to control my anxiety until what I'm experiencing has gone on long enough to consult a doctor. You can't assume I'm doing it to seem "cool". I've been throwing up constantly due to anxiety and I'm not sleeping... things are really bad right now, believe me.

How utterly stupid.

You do realise smoking raises your blood pressure so will do nothing to 'control your anxiety'? And that if you're having problems and vomiting perhaps ingesting concentrated carcinogens on a daily basis isn't the best idea?
Reply 23
Just say I want a packet of _________ please and a lighter......
I agree it isn't the most advanced question on the planet when a lot of respondents are smokers, but leave her alone a bit. And it isn't a thread about lung cancer, before that escalates. :wink:

OP: you will be fine asking for those two things. One thing to remember is that there are quite a few brands of Mayfair and in smokers' language, "ten Mayfair please" will give you the most popular so-called king size ones unless the shop assistant doesn't follow it so well! You could also ask for ten Mayfair Smooth (Google it) which are a slightly lighter version and they also do Fine (you don't see these around much, but they are about as light as cigarettes go), Menthol (what the name says) and Super (slightly longer cigarettes).
A cigarette is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?
Reply 26
shake-a-sheep
Why do the government even bother spending money on campaigns to alert people to the dangers of smoking? Such a waste of money when people still blatently ignore the warnings in order to seem cool.... how sad.

How naive of you to think that people smoke to "seem cool". Theres just no words to describe your idiocy.
If your looking for cheap lighters, poundland does 8 for 1 pound (obviously a quid :biggrin:)

and agree chriz01, what a silly thing to say. Fags are relaxing, end of! lol "cool"
Reply 28
OP:

"10 deck of mayfair and a throwaway"

say that and you're sorted

Why the hell do you Anti-smoking Nazis post in smoking threads? I mean it's not like one of us is just gonna stop because you say we're ignorant or whatever. I mean whats the actual point?
Reply 29
the lighters should be in the counter usually, if not ask for them.
tommm
So you're trying to allieviate a mid-term health problem by introducing a long-term health problem? Sounds silly if you ask me...

This, TSR need to get a grip. OP wasn't asking for your opinion on the matter, just what to ask for.
OP, ask for 10/20 of whatever brand of cigs you so desire, and just say 'and can I have a lighter aswell please?' It's not difficult stuff. Careful though, you really don't wanna get addicted.
Reply 31
StJimmy
I was always completely against smoking, but it's a temporary thing to control my anxiety until what I'm experiencing has gone on long enough to consult a doctor. You can't assume I'm doing it to seem "cool". I've been throwing up constantly due to anxiety and I'm not sleeping... things are really bad right now, believe me.

And smoking will help? You are aware that nicotine will not make you feel any better unless you are already addicted?
StJimmy
And yeah, I am old enough, so I know how to ask for the cigarettes I want.. e.g. "Can I get 10 Mayfair please" but what about the lighter? I just want one of those cheap throwaway ones.. can you use them straight away?

Hahaha how very TSR-awkwardness of you. Jeez n00b... it's not molecular engineering really is it?
chriz01
How naive of you to think that people smoke to "seem cool". Theres just no words to describe your idiocy.

Agreed - I smoke because I developed a dependency on them. I never really smoke with others around..always alone really.
Reply 34
BarnChappell
A cigarette is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?

Next time remember the quotation marks, Wilde.

Oh, and to the person who suggested 'holistic medicine' as an alternative to seeing a GP, you'd probably find most real doctors would advise you to go for the cigarettes over advocating that ridiculous insult to medicinal advancement.
Reply 35
shake-a-sheep
then go see a doctor... smoking will not help you in the long term... it wont even help short term... Thats like saying Im taking heroin to take away my anxiety but I will stop as soon as I can. There are thousands of people out there who wish they never started smoking but it is highly addictive and very quickly you will find yourself hooked.

Addiction in this case is simply a matter of willpower or people actually saying they want to quit when they really don't. The physical dependency element of cigarettes is not considerable: I've had a genuinely harder time not taking caffeine than tobacco.

If you ask me, the whole culture of 'quitting' is simply driven by the various ridiculous propaganda campaigns aimed at making smokers ashamed of doing what they enjoy. Hardly any wonder so many pay lip service to wanting to give it up, yet continue regardless. **** that ****.
Reply 36
fran.ha
And smoking will help? You are aware that nicotine will not make you feel any better unless you are already addicted?

Perhaps not in a physiological sense, but smoking is more than simply the reaction of chemicals to the body.
Reply 37
mikeyd85
Regardless of the rest of the content of this thread, I find it shocking that somebody actually posted a thread because they don't know how to ask for a lighter in a shop...

:facepalm:

This is TSR, people can't wipe their ass without posting a thread on here asking how to do it.
Wildebeest
And it isn't a thread about lung cancer, before that escalates. :wink:

Whilst I'm completely against smoking, I'd say that it's more of a descent than an escalation. :p:
Good God Saint Buddha and Joseph, some people on an internet forum who i'll never meet are saying smoking is not cool, this must mean I should bend over and stop smoking because all of us smokers are just unsocial basement dwellers trying to feel cool by saying we smoke on an internet student forum...

Smokers DON'T buy a packet of fags because the camel on the package wears cool sunglasses, they buy it for the same reason kids, adults and prostitutes do, because it relieves stress, just because your a smoking kid it doesn't mean it will make your cock grow 23 inches due to the sheer coolness of having a cigarette.

Latest

Trending

Trending