The Student Room Group

Minimum age to buy a lighter

What's the minimum age to buy a lighter in the UK, say in like a corner shop? I need one for a camping trip.
there isn't a minimum age. some might id you or ask what you're buying it for. if they do id you, the limit is probably either 16 or 18
Reply 2
Afaik the lighter isnt age restricted, just the butane refills.

There are legitimate reasons for someone too young to smoke legally to have a lighter. Some homes still have old fashioned fireplaces or gas cookers without built in sparkers... Or for getting a camping stove going.

But that doesnt mean the shop has to sell it to you if it doesnt want to. I think the till will probably start beeping when the lighter is scanned and they'll start the challenge 21 policy with you.
Reply 3
Ah, ok. Thanks for the help :smile:
Original post by Joinedup
Afaik the lighter isnt age restricted, just the butane refills.

There are legitimate reasons for someone too young to smoke legally to have a lighter. Some homes still have old fashioned fireplaces or gas cookers without built in sparkers... Or for getting a camping stove going.

But that doesnt mean the shop has to sell it to you if it doesnt want to. I think the till will probably start beeping when the lighter is scanned and they'll start the challenge 21 policy with you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending