The Student Room Group

Maths Uni Chat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4820
Meteorshower
Hello! Haven't posted in here before but I switched my degree recently and have decided to embrace maths instead of feeling guilty for liking it :p:

2 weeks til I go back. Can't wait to get stuck into some proper applied stuff :p:

Is that a llama in your profile pic? :llama:
jj193
Is that a llama in your profile pic? :llama:

It's an alpaca - did not to expect to be living reasonably close to a dozen or so of the beasts on my return from uni :p:
Reply 4822
Haha, that is the coolest animal i've seen.

Check this one out

Spoiler

I have a friend who looks like that. :h:

Spoiler

Have another photo :p:
Reply 4824
way ^__^
Reply 4825
:lovedup2:
Interesting thread. So, if you have any question regarding lectures and stuff, you can post them on here?? or just another place to chat and stuff about your experiences??
Reply 4827
boromir9111
Interesting thread. So, if you have any question regarding lectures and stuff, you can post them on here?? or just another place to chat and stuff about your experiences??

Both are fine. If it's technical you might as well ask it in the main forum, but if you want ask away here.

It's mainly for chatting about things, including, but certainly not limited to, experiences. Most of it is purely chat, not even relating to maths. Common topics include:

- Bashing v-zero
- Bashing Simplicity
- Bashing people for bashing Simplicity
SimonM
Both are fine. If it's technical you might as well ask it in the main forum, but if you want ask away here.

It's mainly for chatting about things, including, but certainly not limited to, experiences. Most of it is purely chat, not even relating to maths. Common topics include:

- Bashing v-zero
- Bashing Simplicity

Ahh.....i see(bit in bold) lol.....I am glad you answered my post.....if memory serves me correctly I believe you're going into the Actuarial field, yes??? and have plenty of work experience?? My question for you is do you mind telling me here or by PM what employers look for?? and if something is lacking, does one make up for it etc?? thanks :smile:
Reply 4829
boromir9111
Ahh.....i see(bit in bold) lol.....I am glad you answered my post.....if memory serves me correctly I believe you're going into the Actuarial field, yes??? and have plenty of work experience?? My question for you is do you mind telling me here or by PM what employers look for?? and if something is lacking, does one make up for it etc?? thanks :smile:

I was, at a time, considering the actuarial field, although my ambitions have changed of late so my knowledge of the field isn't entirely up to date. That said, I'm working at a local Actuarial firm this week! I'd focus on getting a strong degree in a highly quantitative subject and trying to do as much work experience as you can.
SimonM
I was, at a time, considering the actuarial field, although my ambitions have changed of late so my knowledge of the field isn't entirely up to date. That said, I'm working at a local Actuarial firm this week! I'd focus on getting a strong degree in a highly quantitative subject and trying to do as much work experience as you can.

Ahh, thanks for that useful info :smile:. You mind me asking what does your job entail?? The level maths I hear once you're in the Actuarial field is no harder than A level maths??

edit - oh yeah and for internships, what requirements do you need to meet??? I'll be at uni so i imagine i would apply for the summer of my first year, right??
Reply 4831
boromir9111
Ahh, thanks for that useful info :smile:. You mind me asking what does your job entail?? The level maths I hear once you're in the Actuarial field is no harder than A level maths??

I have done various jobs at the company I'm currently working at. Things vary from filing and checking documents (boy, do things get checked!) to creating reports for clients and calculating premiums. The maths which I saw used was, as you say, no harder than A level maths, (assuming you do the statistics modules). I think for the technical exams you need to have some knowledge of stochastics and some more advanced statistics.

The best place to go for all of this is: http://actuaries.org.uk
SimonM
I have done various jobs at the company I'm currently working at. Things vary from filing and checking documents (boy, do things get checked!) to creating reports for clients and calculating premiums. The maths which I saw used was, as you say, no harder than A level maths, (assuming you do the statistics modules). I think for the technical exams you need to have some knowledge of stochastics and some more advanced statistics.

The best place to go for all of this is: http://actuaries.org.uk

Thanks for the useful info(and website), much appreciated :smile:
Reply 4833
boromir9111
Thanks for the useful info(and website), much appreciated :smile:

No problem. There is a Finance and Accountancy forum on here which might be more useful to you (and have people with more up-to-date advise)
SimonM
No problem. There is a Finance and Accountancy forum on here which might be more useful to you (and have people with more up-to-date advise)

Yeah, i've come across it but it's been a while since i been on there. Shall check it out. Thanks!!
Reply 4835
Meteorshower
It's an alpaca - did not to expect to be living reasonably close to a dozen or so of the beasts on my return from uni :p:

How close is reasonably close? How close would they have to be to be unreasonably close? There are alpacas in the field behind my house, which is a little bit :s-smilie: tbqh. They have nibbled the hedge on occasion.
SimonM
- Bashing v-zero
- Bashing Simplicity

Is that really how you summarise this thread? How depressingly accurate.
assmaster

It's not all people bashing each other...
Reply 4838
assmaster

Other things come and go, those are the only recurrent topics....

Still, this thread needs to become more active! (In a mindless chat kind of way, not a "lets talk about maths" kind of way)
SimonM
Still, this thread needs to become more active! (In a mindless chat kind of way, not a "lets talk about maths" kind of way)

Would you like to see what I did this summer?

(These shelves are seven feet tall, 18 inches apart. This picture is 25% of one of the warehouses I worked in.)

Quick Reply

Latest